FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

my life

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: rebekah on 30 December 2012

basally Ive been bullied my whole life my parents complain that im never happy but when ever they speak to me i start crying my mum doesn't understand my life she found out i harm myself and she keeps making stuiped comments like ''you should focus on work in class instead of harming'' or ''you stuiped bitch you think your so cool because you harm'' i can't take school any more i cant that my parents its just to much i just want to barry my self in a hole . even at school i get called emo and attention seekers half the time from a girl who harms her self and she told me she does it for attention so why call me an attention seeker half the time when people yell about my teachers here do go so good after that.
64 Replies 64

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Anthony Mark on 31 December 2012

High school is pretty shitty. Everyone's usually trying to fit in, by pointing the mob's focus onto the flaws of *other people*. Try not to take it *personally*. Try to *laugh it off*. Try to have a sense of humour about yourself. Why *do* you cut? You must know it's not good for you. Try to substitute it with something else comforting, like going for a walk or writing a song.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 1 January 2013

dear Rebekah, your not in a good environment all around at the moment, and one problem leads to another bigger problem, unhappy at home and unhappy at school, I am curious to know how old you are, because this will determine specific advice as to what age you are. The love that doesn't come from a parent is always paramount to your behaviour, but this doesn't stop a good parent having trouble with a child, so it really works both ways, never the less your in a situation that there doesn't seem to be any relief. If some person is hurting themselves for attention, this doesn't automatically mean that you are it for the same reason, your doing it because you are so unhappy, which means you are depressed. The symptoms checklist at the top of the page doesn't really include people who are self harming, or though this is included in the 'get help', but it mainly refers to depression, post natal, bipolar and anxiety, and I presume that they believe that self harm is categorized under any of these descriptions, I stand to be corrected. When I say to people that you need to go and see their doctor, certainly doesn't mean that you stop writing to us, why, because a lot of people just stop wanting more advice or help from this site, and it only means that you need medical attention, but here it's more practical or experienced help, and both of these are needed. Rebekah there a few options but these depend on your age, but one way to stop your mum criticising you is to wear clothes that cover up these marks, but this again depends on what you want to do. Looking forward to your return reply, so that we can help you some more. Geoff. x.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: AnonAnon on 2 January 2013

hi Rebekah, that sounds 'sucky', especially when you seek out the person who you'd expect to be most there for you but, instead, chides. Your mother only wants what's best for her child, and may feel conflicted about what you are doing. She might not know how to help or what to do. She may not know how to approach your situation to be of assistance. She might not understand your position and you. Is there a school counsellor whom you can speak to? Is there a friend whom who are comfortable with. and trust, to confide in? Instead of cutting, what other activities can you think of doing to offer some relief? Do you like listening to music? Playing an instrument? Drawing? Painting? Reading? Watching movies? A walk to the park? Walking the dog? When we're upset, it's sometimes nice to just take our mind off stresses by engaging in a 'distracting' activity. Just finding ways to cope with the pain. If you feel the urge to cut again, or wish to vent your feelings immediately when something at home or school, or anything else, happens please talk to us online, here, or call the kids helpline on 1800 55 1800. Best wishes

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: rebekah on 11 January 2013

hey, my mum is annoyed at me becasue the way i dress,act and that.im glad school is over but i am worried about going back.i am 13.i rencetly moved to queensland so i changed schools so i can talk to the school couslar or the surrport group any more. a while go when i was happy i told my cousllar from an online service that i was fine and that she thought is was good for us to stop talking now i can only speak to her i every two weeks and when im down and that like today i can never speak to her.my family thinks im crazy. yeah.i have a huge phobia of docoters,spiders,trucks aspascialy gabage trucks.i did have my boyfriend around me but now i moved i really have no one.nothing works really so i harm myself.my dog died he was my best friend.bye

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Anthony Mark on 13 January 2013

Okay I think you need to make some friends. The thing about people is that they're complicated. So don't think of them as "your enemy", even if they've teased you before. Just keep being nice, and make jokes, and talk about interesting things, and you'll find friends.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 13 January 2013

dear Rebekah, I am sorry that you are struggling with depression as a young adolescent, it's not an easy task to overcome by yourself, and it's also a lonely existence. If you have any repoire with this online counsellor and someone that feel you can trust, it would be a good idea to email them and explain to them that you need to begin your counselling again. I am just so sorry that you have lost your dog, this seems to leave a huge hole in your heart. People say to go and get another dog to replace the one you have just lost, but it's never the same, because you are still grieving the lose. In my last reply I asked you to let us know your age, because if you were about 17 then you could do things another way, but thanks for letting us know your age. Changing schools can be very difficult as you have to make new friends, this maybe good or not, and I tend to believe that as you have these phobias, it maybe difficult. This counsellor that you have been talking to is this regarding these phobias or other OCD fears, or was it in regards to your depression, or the hard time that your mum is giving you? Hope that you can get back to us, the more you talk to us the better it is. Love Geoff. x

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Neil on 15 January 2013

Hi Rebekah, I start this by saying that you should pat yourself on the back or look in the mirror, smile and say, "Bloody well done Bek for posting here, being positive to send messages on this site AND to post a response to someone else's topic also". That takes courage to do all that and as a 13yo, I'd say you've got a tremendous amount of courage. Also that you're going to a support group, is a great step and I really hope that that is helping you. You are not on your own with the thoughts of being glad that school is (or was) over ... both my children are so pleased at the end of each year (or term for that matter), as I'm sure are most children. I think it's particularly awful of your mother to be making negative and bad comments to you. I think also, if it's at all possible, whether you could possibly contact your previously mentioned counsellor, so that you could start speaking with them again? Is there a GP in your area that you could go too, to let them know of your situation? If you're unsure, there's options on this website where you could try and locate someone - and being on this website, that person would be well credentialled in dealing with these kinds of issues. The self-harm has me also very worried for you, not only for all the other stuff that's going on in your life, but the self-harm issue, as you'd be aware is not a good one. Is it possible to get out and go for a walk when you feel an episode coming on? I know this might sound crazy, but it's worked for me in the past ... instead of the desire to hurt myself, I say, just in a normal voice, or even in a whisper, "Go away - get the hell out of my mind (or words to that effect) - I'm not going to do this today. Come back another time, try tomorrow or later, but just get the hell out of my mind". Then try to push it to the back of your mind; at the same time, try to find something that help to occupy you; be it going out for a walk, playing some sort of game on phone or computer, perhaps even cooking something in the kitchen. But when saying that, it's best to try and back it up with something that you will do that will occupy your mind as well. Stay with us Rebekah, and will enjoy to receive your next post; Cheers, Neil

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 16 January 2013

dear Rebekah, Neil's reply is very good. I hope that you do get back to us Rebekah, because you are 13 you would like some 'elderly' advice, something that your mum doesn't provide you with, and we are all here for you, so please don't hesitate to get back to us. You know having a person of your age writing to this site brings us all back to when we were that age, and a lot of us suffered depression at your age. You may be away at the moment, but really hope to hear from you again. Love Geoff. x

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: rebekah on 22 January 2013

i have always had problems making friends i dont fit in and that i basically that kid that was born to have no friends.it use to happend so much teachers forced kids to hang out with me.i tried being nice it just made everyone hate me it was just another reason for them to be mean.i missed my last online couslaring appointment so i have it on sunday now.but my cousllar keeps bringing this up she wants me to go to a headspace centre i wouldnt mind its my parents that im worried about they would never let me and well at lease i have a reason im not going all the way to warwick .i want another dog but my parents wont let me get one.becasue aprently the last one dieing was my fault.most of the phobias are recent because of moving and that like the garbage truck one that was cause my dad got in an acedinet with the garbage man so now the garabge men do really like use.my cousllaring was mainly depression self harm and that plus it was about my mum.no docoters.i know self harm is bad .im not allowed to walk any where but school on school days unless im with mum or dad its stuiped rule my parents have.i try to not think about in but its like every 24/7 i havent cut.but i relised one think since school finished earn though half the year 8s were jumping up and down when they found out i was leaving they became nice to me and started saying nice stuff and that it was a school i though it was trick or some probaly is but im surpirse they probaly found out about stuff they shouldnt of have bye