FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Adherence / Compliance -- How do you make yourself do the things that make you feel better?

zailleh
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

One of my biggest challenges with depression is doing the things I know make me feel better and make a positive difference to my emotional state. Especially when I'm feeling my worst, these things would make me feel better but I can't make myself do them because depression just kills all motivation.

Just hoping to draw on the collective experience here. What kind of things do you to help make yourself do the things that make you feel better?

Cheers,
Zailleh

41 Replies 41

Darby88
Community Member

First day on these forums. But I appreciate that this topic is being discussed.

I am slowly emerging from a terrible depressive bout. Very fragile. I have continued to pull it together for work and parenting, but that has been my limit.

I have the knowledge but I would like to know if others had the experience of being in a place where doing the things like exercising, (just a small walk out doors) or catching up with a friend is simply too much. I feel so raw and vulnerable in public at times that I can only do the kinds of little. helpful actions indoors.

I am grateful that with new meds added on, I am slowly emerging and am in a place where I am planning to do a small walk this weekend, but I also want to be able not to feel horribly guilty and weak when those things simply aren’t possible.

I am pushing my fear of failing to “get better” out of my head as much as I can, with all the other negative judgements I put on myself.

Depression, anxiety, hallucinations and mood disorder have been my way of life since childhood. I am turning 50 soon. It’s tiring, but I accept it. My child is everything to me and I want to live in this world with him and be the best I can be

Hello anyone else reading or perhaps replying only

My first step is actually reading some of the previous posts and most definitely the initial one by Zailleh

I do have a question how on earth would I know to type in search this title to find this thread started in 2015 and last responded to over a year ago.

This is not a criticism. This is a genuine question.

How?

What am I not doing or understanding?

I have tried searching past posts and that is so very draining and exhausting.

Presently I am doing little as my state of health is not at it's best at all.

My step today are reading and writing this.

I already try many of the structured ideas which work well if everything else in life is behaving.

When my mind is affected by external circumstances and worn out which brings on the dreaded I do not have the strength to put strategies in place no matter how many I try.

I do keep on going.

It does slowly pass and I start again.

I think that the answer is different for every single person as are the symptoms and effects.

This has been a help reading this.

Can this be moved to an area where more easily found.

So many new people daily are writing about this dreaded and might benefit from a realistic thread.

Just a humble thought