FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Adherence / Compliance -- How do you make yourself do the things that make you feel better?

zailleh
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

One of my biggest challenges with depression is doing the things I know make me feel better and make a positive difference to my emotional state. Especially when I'm feeling my worst, these things would make me feel better but I can't make myself do them because depression just kills all motivation.

Just hoping to draw on the collective experience here. What kind of things do you to help make yourself do the things that make you feel better?

Cheers,
Zailleh

41 Replies 41

I know I should exercise more, but it's often a struggle. I bribe myself with my favourite podcasts, and listen while I walk. And it's a 20min walk to a cafe with good coffee, so I use that as a bribe, too.

Before I started medication, I struggled with self-care too. I usually went to bed with my clothes on, getting changed seemed pointless. (That sounds so ridiculous now) But I started wearing pyjamas every night again, so I rewarded myself with some nice comfy new pjs.

I guess what I'm saying is, little rewards help me do the things that I need to do to get better.

CB

Hi CB,

It is great you have found ways to reward yourself, I would have to walk about 20 k.m. to our nearest coffee shop! It is great you have that perspective though.

Depending on where you are living, it is certainly PJ wearing weather! Another frosty morning here, but no rain really since about March. We have a little dam and it is almost empty.

I was pleased with my day yesterday, I achieved a few things. Today I am volunteering in the Op Shop so will enjoy that.

Cheers to you from Mrs. D.

Clare2
Community Member

I do all of these things.

i have just started to go for walks everyday with my dog around the block I have deleted Facebook because I found myself locked in my phone instead of in life.

I tried to get myself to exercise and eat healthy be ontop of my game do my makeup for work because that always made me feel good.

i then got a makeover I got my hair done and looked happy and pretty and people would notice and say that I looked nice.

i would organised myself I would get a diary and plan out my weeks with highlighters and put in classes for yoga and work and important dates..

and now I have all those things my hair done still do my makeup if I can be bothered it's a push to take the dog for a walk and I'm not out of bed before 12noon and scheduling things to do is just too much

Kiag34
Community Member
I remind myself that I need to keep that one foot in front of the other. Not wanting to go to my regular fitness (where my friends are) I know that if I let myself not care that I will definitely regret it. Sure I can miss one every now and then but if I'm not doing it because 'i don't deserve to be happy or fit' I force myself because I know I will regret it later. probably doesnt affect anyone else so do it for yourself. Some things are hard to undo,some can't be undone. I don't like living with regret.

Thanks for this thread, at the moment I am feeling like curling up in a tight ball and sobbing and sobbing. But just a few minutes ago I felt like yelling out in frustration. So I have to just tell myself to get changed into gym clothes. And go to the gym , it sometimes helps with frustrations . But then my brain says " well you will properly just cry at the gym". "But who cares "my mind says next, "does it really matter if someone else sees you crying your eyes out". " Just go now

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all

This can be a difficult one at times of deep depression. I have times when I get so much that I have to think about and do that I get totally muddled. So what do I do?

I start by doing a brainstorm on a blank sheet of paper and just write anything I can think of that has troubled me or any task. This takes away the headaches.

After that I go through and do many of the things that everyone else has talked about above. Some can be transferred into a diary or a To-do List, once on a to-do list break each task down into mini tasks.

Lets take washing for example. I break it into three tasks. Select the clothes and put them on, take a break. Later put them out to dry, take a break. Later bring it in and put it away. Some of you may like to add a fourth task for ironing or folding.

I greatly value the idea of some of the exercise suggestions and may look into such classes.

Irene.

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi All,

I would like to give this thread a bump.

depression is sapping my motivation right now. I need to remind myself getting out and about doing things, even small things makes me feel better.

Me too Gambit - I need a boot behind me

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for bumping up this thread Gambit87, interesting point. I haven't read much of this thread yet, I wanted to write my first 'impulse'.

I look at all the suggestions made by anyone, including MH professionals as a menu, meaning I have a choice.

It's not about "adherence / compliance" they sound far too authoritarian. So unless I had Court Orders or such to "adhere" too which I don't, then everything's a choice.

I can choose to look at research based suggestions, decide to have some trust in these, try them. Like 'em or leave 'em. Put the nicest ones that seem to flick my switches in my routine.

OR

I ignore the lot... which leads me to ask myself, "Do I WANT to get better or would I prefer to be in that dark place?" I know I would have few people around who want to be around me, this is a strong motivator. My benefit (and sadness) is having many family members who have addictions, issues with the law etc, so I can literally SEE where I could end up and I really don't want to end up these ways.

Choices are empowering. My 2c.
EM

Hi All,

This thread has been recommended for me to look at. I see I have actually made a few posts here myself over time. Guess the point is, some of us have moments where motivation is not an issue, other days it is really hard to find motivation let alone act upon it.

I had a little look on Google and found a few points I will share here:

- Consider why I have no motivation and think about what I can change to achieve a sense of action

- Complete a task and reward myself for having done so, even if it is a verbal "Well done!"

-Act as if you are motivated, push myself to try the activity and my behaviour and beliefs about doing something will hopefully change tot he positive or at least to accepting it.

-Be kind to myself, if it doesn't happen try again later or the next day

-Believe in myself, my limitations are controlled by my beliefs and imagination.

-Set an achievable goal and consider how I can achieve it. If something appears too difficult I may not even try to start that task or even a pleasurable activity.

A few things to consider! Cheers all and happy motivational hunting and achieving!