FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Adherence / Compliance -- How do you make yourself do the things that make you feel better?

zailleh
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

One of my biggest challenges with depression is doing the things I know make me feel better and make a positive difference to my emotional state. Especially when I'm feeling my worst, these things would make me feel better but I can't make myself do them because depression just kills all motivation.

Just hoping to draw on the collective experience here. What kind of things do you to help make yourself do the things that make you feel better?

Cheers,
Zailleh

41 Replies 41

Hi London Bridge, welcome to the forums.

Are you able to start up a new thread in the Depression section with some of your thoughts above? Those are all interesting questions, but this thread is for people sharing ideas on getting yourself to do things that will make you feel better.  

Bluebelle777
Community Member

Planning in advance and routine. Sounds so simple but has taken me 13 years to get it!! Even when I was at my worst, knowing I had scheduled my Saturday morning walk/ brunch with a friend meant I couldn't cancel and the fresh air and company does wonders. I do Pilates and find paying my sessions and booking classes in advance makes me attend. Exercise always helps and is so important to managing moods. Even when I'm well, I keep my psychologist appointments and plan another session always- even if I feel I don't need it. Using my diary to plan down time for me but also time to see people I love, helps Keep a balance.

Even cooking healthy meals in advance and freezing them for days when you're feeling flat and need an early night, helps to ensure your body gets what it needs even if you don't have the energy or desire to eat. Keep vitamins by your bed or toothbrush and even when you're feeling bad, at least you are helping your body get the nutrients it needs.

Hope this helps 🙂

Hi Bluebelle777,

I have been just randomly flicking about on the forum and came across your post.

Thank you so very much for your encouraging words.

Due to my depression I often procrastinate and back slide on all the positive things I know are obtainable to me.

For me the thing is to not give up. If I don't do so well this week, then I can try again tomorrow or next week.

I too use a diary, they are a wonderful way to keep track of where you want to be and have to be.

I have paid out for the use of a swimming pool at a fitness centre. If I pay in advance, then I will certainly attend, like your Pilates.

Hope you are travelling well.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools or Lauren

renmon
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi zailleh. 

I agree with a lot of what has already been posted re motivating yourself through depression.  For me, it is about prioritising and being self aware. So I make a list of what is most important to support me through a depressive episode. I make a deal with myself that I will not give attention to NOT doing what isn't on the list. So for a period of time last year when I was unwell, I let lots of 'little' jobs remain undone until I was able to cope with them again. I refused to beat myself up about this. I was totally focussed on what I COULD do that supported me towards being well again. So things like eating regularly, keeping in touch with friends and family, and a bunch of other stuff. I kept a strict routine which included having to do things that were good for me that I absolutely didn't want to do. I was in panic every time I left my house but I knew that to be well I had to leave the house.  I am very self aware so I was able to talk to myself as a parent would to a child and give myself lots of nurturing and encouragement through this period of time. It wasn't easy. Ultimately I knew that being well again meant doing a, b, c and d etc so by delaying or putting off any of these things I was only going to prolong the feeling of being so unwell. It can be such a conundrum really. Sheer grit and overwhelming love for myself got me through a lot of days.  And rewards. If I kept my committments for wellbeing then I would reward myself. 

Goldie22
Community Member

Hi Zailleh

Your post is very inspiring. I wish I had your drive and self love.

My current experience is a constant state of knowledge of what I need to do to get better, but a fear of making the change. I'm so scared.

I know I need to excercise but I can't get out of bed in the morning. I know I need to eat healthy but I don't feel hungry, then binge eat on anything and everything at night when I'm alone. It's like I'm enjoying punishing myself.

i wish I wasn't alone. My mum tries to help but I just feel worse because she is so strong and determined I can't understand why I can't be like her. 

im turning 25 at the end of the year and I will have nothing to show for it. I'm a complete failure. I took my life and all my opportunities for granted, and I still am. What I seam to be going at the moment is seeing how far I can push things, my body, my mum and my mental state (I'm not sleeping).

its all just a matter of time. I'm not sure what I want to happen or if anything will. I don't feel much anymore. 

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Denv12
Community Member

I looked around to find things that would at least improve my overall wellbeing. As I have had several Kinesiology treatments and other muscle testing techniques done in the past I figured I'd stick with acupressure points. I found some books on Acupressure and in the books were various ailments. I do various daily routines in the morning and evening.The good news is its made a difference. The book I picked up online. Good investment. We all have pressure points so everyone can benefit.

The book I recommend is called :

"Acupressure For Emotional Healing". By Michael Read Gach.PHD.

ISBN:978-0553382438.

and 0553382438.

I've read a book on Emotional Freedom Technique (E.F.T.) and I found out about a (better) technique called " Faster E.F.T".(Faster Emotionally Focused Transformations).Plenty of info on Faster EFT around.Its worth looking into.

Hi everyone,

One of my friends has been working really hard at improving his mental wellbeing and has shared some of his techniques with me. I've started to adopt some of them and have found they've made some difference to how badly my anxiety affects my daily life :).

Keeping a list of things you need/want to do and ticking them off once you've accomplished it. The act of ticking is like a small reward.

Meditating. I have found for me personally I can't meditate on a boring/bad day. I need to have been mentally stimulated throughout the day otherwise I just end up sinking deeper into bad thoughts. On quiet days if I do meditate it'd more likely be in the morning or middle of the day rather than at night. 

Exercise: Making a date with a friend to walk has been very helpful in getting me more interested in exercise again. 

Reading books such as 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius and 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. 

Thank you to everyone who's previously posted. I will be adopting some of your techniques too and see how they work for me :).

Good luck,

Candice

Carmen_Lisa
Community Member
Came to this post for motivation for today. I think maybe it is procrastination/avoidance. I feel like I'm giving up if I get scared and don't do the things that I'd planned to do today and hide in bed. When is it okay to not push myself? I think my goals might be too lofty for my current head space, but I know if I don't keep up with big things the smaller things then become the big things and then suddenly I'm so unwell I need to go to hospital. But oh... How to beat the anxiety? I'm tired. I can't get my head around being kind to myself and to do things that will keep me going. 

Carmen_Lisa
Community Member
PS I like your profile pic. Did you draw it? 

Hi Candice,

Just wanted to thank you for a lovely post.

It is always wonderful to read when people are able to make a difference in their lives.

Thanks for sharing the points that are helping you achieve these changes.

We are all different and will find some thing may help one day and not next week, and that is okay too!

Having more than one solution to a problem is very beneficial.

Thanks again from Mrs. Dools