FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My younger brother has gone to jail, and I'm struggling to hold it together

Leth
Community Member

I was referred to the beyondblue website to read a thread about a mum and her pain that she was going through after her son had gone to jail. It's crazy, because when I was reading it, I could very much see the same pain my mother is currently feeling.

I needed to come here and put out how I'm feeling about the whole situation as well, from an older brothers point of view, but to be honest, I don't even know where to start.

My brother, with the biggest warmest heart, with physical and mental heath issues, developed an ice addiction, he neglected his health and in the last year, my mum and I have done nothing but tried our damn hardest to help him, both professionally, personally, financially, the whole lot.

He got himself into a fair bit of trouble about a year ago, and in lead up to his sentence, his smoking of ice increased, as did his lies, and everything was spiralling out of control for him and everyone around him. I left my well payed job to be more closer to my mum and brother in need.

The whole process has been so stressful, and it's been so hard to now see my brother get taken away. He's such a vulnerable person, a "gentle giant", who without pointing the figure, influenced to trying ice, became hooked and majorly lost his way. His bedroom became his haven, he never left it, and my poor mother who became so submissive to his behaviour, did her best to care for him while he was in the darkest time in his life.

I'm feeling fragile.

I'm finding myself withdrawing. Having a hard time sleeping, and when I do, I instantly wake up with a cracking head ache. I start crying at unpredictable times, I've somewhat distanced myself from my boyfriend, I have my mum staying with me until she's going to be ok living alone.

My brother has left behind some financial stress, and I'm left to now collect the pieces, to cancel his accounts, and to work out a ways to pay back all these "Afterpay" type transactions he's made over the last several months on top if fine reminders in the mail.

The whole thing is just hard, but there's that glimmer that this is perhaps that divine intervention that he's needed, as nothing I or my mum did worked.

I've been seeing an amazing psychologist for since this all began about a year ago, my GP has suggested I get on anti depressants which I'm almost contemplating.

Are there any other siblings out there who's maybe been in my shoes who might be able to give me some advice? I'd appreciate it immensely.

183 Replies 183

Leth
Community Member

Thank you for giving me that information. You're being a great help, thank you.

Is it something that he can apply for in the near future?

And what do I do with any unknown fines that may present themselves? Do I advise them of my brother's incarceration?

Guest_7403
Community Member

He can apply inside the jail once all his court related matters are resolved (eg. Hes sentenced with no further charges pending)

Once that happens he calls in his sheriff warrants and they send him a list of all fines he has outstanding and hes given options on how to pay, money or serving more time.

The offender services team will contact centralink and other places on his behalf.

Is her currently on remand at mrc? Or is he sentenced already?

Leth
Community Member
Currently at MAP waiting to be assigned to a prison to serve his time...

Guest_7403
Community Member

Right....so he'll either head to mrc if he is on remand or he'll go to a sentenced prison.

A ratings go to barwin or port philip

B to marngoneet, lodden and Fulham or ravenhall

C to durringle or beechworth

Leth
Community Member

Thank you for all your help and information Theborderline, would it be ok to ask you more questions if I need to?

I can't thank you all for your support and information, it's been so helpful and reassuring.

Guest_7403
Community Member
Sure anytime, make sure he adds you to his visitors list so you can drop off clothes and money

Leth
Community Member
Yes, we have made those arrangements already. Would we need to resubmit that information after he has been moved from MAP?

Guest_7403
Community Member

No, his phone numbers, visits list and finance all follow him. As does his valuables and property.

It's a good idea to get him to despatch his valuables out to you so they're not in storage.

Also if he is wearing nice runners tell him to have them stored in his property, or they will be "taken from him" by the other prisoners.

He can only have $140 dropped in each calendar month, but he can work to earn more cash inside a well

Check the prison he goes to website for what property you can drop off, as it varies at each jail

Hi Leth,

My heart goes out to you and the family. There must be so much you are dealing with at the moment.

Hopefully as a family, you can all openly talk about how you are feeling and if required find services and counselling to help yourselves through all of this.

I had a neighbour whose husband went to jail. I invited female neighbours all over for afternoon tea, she was surprised I had invited her as well. I told her that her husband had done nothing wrong towards me, he made a mistake, so why punish her at all?

No doubt you have been receiving different reactions from people when they learn your news. Hopefully you are all holding up okay.

Hi Theborderline,

I am so very pleased you are able to help Leth with these enquiries. On behalf of everyone who needs help now and then, I thank you very much.

It is very admirable of you to offer advice and suggestions.

Cheers to you both from Dools

Leth
Community Member

Hi again Theborderline,

My brother has been moved to a remote jail in Victoria from MAP.

The jail is a much larger scale than where he was at MAP, and after one day of being moved, he's facing incredible social anxiety as he's expressed over the phone with me.

I understand it'll take time for him to get used to his new surroundings.

It's of a much lower security standard, and has the option to be outside of lockdown for much longer than he was at MAP.

are you able to elaborate more on the overall structure he'll have to face at the new jail?

Treatment by the guards and inmates? And what should be do if he's struggling socially?

Any advise would be a great help in alleviating my anxieties as all this seems so foreign to get my head around.