FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety symptom makes me gag

Jill_G
Community Member
Hi its ny first time posting. Ive been suffering anxiety now for over 3 months and it came out of the blue. ...wasnt sure what was happening to me. Been to doctors and dicussed all sorts of treatments. Lots of ups and downs. One sympton lve been having over the last month is gagging every morning abd there is no medical reason for it. ...has anyone else experienced this ...its really imoacted my life terribly
111 Replies 111

Jill_G
Community Member
Thank you both for your advice...lm glad lm not alone snd hoping it will stop. I had a scope done yesterday to rule out any medical condition. .all was clear just a bit of reflux due to dry reaching. Im tring to stay positive with this awful condition. Thanks for the links

Thanks for the links Tim. I will go and check them out.

Hi Jill, Had my first appointment today with the psychologist. Went in a bit nervous about what to expect. She basically asked me about my past and did a survey for anxiety and we had a bit of a chat, nothing too intense. I go back and see her in 2 weeks and in that time she will work out a plan for me with some relaxation techniques etc. I think it went ok, I have never been before so not sure what the drill is. I will go back and see what she has in store for me, here's hoping she may be able to help me out.

🙂

Hi Mitchy....so glad it went well for you and not so intense thats how l find it the first time.Fingers crossed she will be able to help when a plan is put in place. I go for my 2nd session tomorrow. I know it will take time but have to stay positive. So proud of you .Take care

agobella
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jill G

When I first started having panic attacks a long time ago, I had the same symptoms that you are experiencing, dry reaching, lost my appetite and if I did eat, the food just sat in my stomach like a brick. I did not know what was going on. I lost a lot of weight, so much that someone asked me if I had cancer. So hard to tell that person, it is only anxiety. I could not go to restaurants or any eating place because as soon as I got there, I would dry reach hence could not eat any food and I love my food. I did go to a doctor and got prescribed AD, but I did not improve, so a year later, I took things in my own hands, rang a hospital to get a recommendation for a psychiatrist. I was so relieved that my psychiatrist could explain what was happening to me. I am still on AD and I occasionally suffer an anxiety attack without the dry reaching. Now, my body just goes into a panic, very hard to explain and I go into the flight/fight response. I have to leave where this panic occurred. I have had a dna gene testing for my AD and I am a high metaboliser which means I have to take a higher dosage to have any effect. I did have a new pschy who told me to go with the panic and of course that was easier said than done. Went back to my doctor who looked at my dna results and upped my meds and I am a lot better. Never be afraid to get second opinion as I stuck with this pschy for a year and I was afraid to get a second opinion, never again. I have learnt my lesson.

Hey Jill, Yes it was very laid back like a meet and greet. I am hoping the psychologist will be able to help me. Ihope you are able to get some help as well. Thank you for checking in on me it is so nice to know that I am not alone on this horrible journey. Let me know how you went on your 2nd visit. Take care and try to stay positive! I know some days it is soooo hard to be postitive but we will get through this!

Michelle xxxx

Jill_G
Community Member
Thank you for your post. Im glad you finally got some answers. So the phyciatrist was helpful? Ive started on medication been 2 weeks now and not sure if l feel a difference yet. I had a breakthrough this week and didnt wretch for 2 days. I guess l will know in the next 2 weeks if its helped...hate feeling suck and nauseous.

Jill_G
Community Member
I would lketo see a phycatrist but so expensive

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jill,

Not disputing your last comment.

The only information I would add is that when you hit the medicare threshold limit, the price is almost $0.

A psychologist is cheaper than psychiatrist I have found, but they cannot prescribe medication.

If you want someone to talk things through with the counsellors at Anglicare believe all people should be available to mental health services regardless of your income.

Is the new medication still working?

Tim

Jill_G
Community Member
Did you ever have a weird taste and smell in your nose and mouth which l smell and taste but apparently it isnt really there