FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PETS - gotta love them! Share funny, loving stories about pets and animals.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I thought I would start this thread, about our pets.

I have read in the forums a lot of us has a pet or pets of some kind.

Be it a dog, cat, bird, rabbit, guinie pig, tortoise, snake, lizard etc: they bring joy to our lives, they are there for us giving us unconditional love.

I thought a it would be nice if we could share our pets antics, or if you've seen other animals, doing things that have made you laugh.

They can be funny, loving, outrageous, anything that your pet does or does not do that puts a smile on your face and might put a smile on someone's face that is struggling.

Please keep the stories light hearted and happy,

We all love our pets, let's let others enjoy them as well..

I will go first to get it up and running.

I have two little dogs, Maltese x Yorkshire x Aussie Terriers, I have Mum (4 years old) and Daughter (2years old).

My dogs have the run of the house, my back screen door after many attempts and lots of failures I put a doggie dog into it. I love theses two they are my fur family.

My story is about another dog I had many years ago, I called him boof he was a Belgium Shepard, I was sitting at my kitchen table one day just looking out my back door (creedance). Boof was just relaxing in the shade with my young son. It was a hot day and I thought I might take my young son into the pool. I was about to go outside when all of a sudden a cat ran across our yard, well Boof just took off after the cat yep my young son took off after Boof, then Boof it looked like his brakes stopped working, he was chasing the cat then I saw him slide (son still chasing him). he couldnt stop, he slid into the swimming pool with such force he bent the tin frame nearly flat to the inside of the pool, well a waterfall began, Boof was on the other side of the pool he crashed straight through it, my son ended up slipping on the water skidded to the other end of the pool, crashing and landing on Boofy scream of laughter was coming from my son, absolutely soaked to the skin covered in mud, Boof was trying to get up, slipping all over the place from the mud as well I think he was seeing stars from his hard hit, he couldn't get up. I couldn't stop laughing at the pair of them. They looked so funny covered in mud, the pool was later repaired. Son and dog was hosed off so it all ended well

Do you have a pet story to tell?

Kind thoughts

Grandy.

205 Replies 205

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Pamela,

Henry is such a nice bird, Most king parrots are friendly I think. I enjoy his company but he can get annoying sometimes if I am not there for him..lol he's a demanding little bird, He usually comes around at 10ish, I think they are a creature of habit. How they know the time is something I often think about..

Thank you for calling in 🤗.

Karen

startingnew
Community Member
oh grandy i love that story!

Hello Karen

That is such an amazing story. I can see it was food for your soul.

Mary

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Startingnew and Mary,

He is really a lovely bird, he hasn't been for a couple of days now..he disappears around this time of year. I started missing him that's what made me remember and thought I would share Henry with everyone that reads in here, he will be back around November next year.. A few months of my year is special with Henry.

kind thoughts,

Karen

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Beautiful story Karen about Henry. Yes they do move around a bit - dependent on food sources.

At the moment our clumping palms are fruiting and we have so many birds - blue faced honey eaters, rainbow lorikeets. Noisy, but I love them to bits. There is something very calming about them.

I put out a plate of 1 part organic fig jam (no sugar, fruit juice) and 4 parts water for the blue faces. They are using the palm as a creche for the young. So we've had 'just fledged' blue faces coming in to lap up the nectar. We are usually - don't feed birds people, however, with the weather we've been having they've had it tough for about a week. So we're just giving them a helping hand.

And do they 'demand'. Especially the very young ones. Sit on the deck railing crying like they do for their parents..... Beautiful really. This has lifted my heart immensely over the past couple of days.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Pamela,

The birds are calming aren't they, I love watching them, flying around, searching for food, although I keep their food trays full they still scurry around, then the drink and bath oh their so cute when they bath themselves, they seem to enjoy every minute of their life..they always live in the moment/now as all animals seem to. We humans can learn a lot from animals, Their so innocent you only have to look into their eyes to see that..

I don't think feeding the birds harm them, it just makes it easier especially in summer, our grass is all dried out with no food for them. The nectar would be very appreciated by them..Do you take photos of them sometimes?

It is beautiful isn't it..The huge gumtree across the road houses so many birds throughout the early morning and evening.. Our overhead electric wires has at times over a dozen white cockatoos sitting on it squeaking their cute little heads off..

Thanknyou for calling in Pamela and others, readers and posters..Does anyone have a pet, animal story they would like to share as it could just help someone through a rough patch.

Kind thoughts,

🦉 Grandy.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Karen and everybody,

Love your Henry story Karen.

Love all the stories here. It's a lovely thread.

The other day, my partner and i spotted the most beautiful little chicken in our next door neighbour's garden.

Our next door neighbour doesn't have chickens, so my partner said "ooh, let's go catch her/him and see if we can find his/her home around the neighbourhood".

So we jumped over and went up to the little darling like we usually do with our chooks (ours just squat down for us or calmly wait to be lifted up).

Well this little feathered fiend ran like billyoh and then took off - flying all the way up onto the following neighbour's ROOF!

Oh my goodness, it was the funniest thing I'd seen for days and we were in hysterics.

Goodness knows where the little fella is now, but free ranging somewhere around town having a marvellous time, we hope.

🌻birdy

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Birdy,

Thank you so very much Birdy for your Chicken story, Your description was so clear, I could see you and your partner running after this Chicken, chasing him/her all over your neighbours back yard, I started laughing, imagining the two of you trying to catch the Chicken and Chicken getting away from you both... I'm still laughing, Thank you for making my night a bit brighter.xx

Karen..

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi 🦉Grandy and everyone

Yes, birds are very calming, especially when searching for food, sucking nectar from flowers and taking a bath. I did get a photo of the blue faced honeyeaters drinking the nectar. One I really like is the juvenile with it's tongue hanging out. Yesterday afternoon, there were two double barred finches on our front fence and then hopped into our grass searching for food. So cute!.

I also have birth baths - 2 in fact. One in the front used mainly by the crows and turtle doves. The other is out the back and is frequented by brown honeyeaters, wrens and finches. They love to bath. Very special to watch. They haven't been using them lately, I think they're trying to dry out after all this rain.

Hi 🌻birdy

Love your story about the visiting chook. Hope it eventually found it's rightful home.

Have to delve into my filing cabinet (memory) to dig out some more pet stories.

🐝PamelaR

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your beautiful posts, I can sit and watch birds for a long time, They can be well for me they are like mindfulness session, in well in every way,..I remember watching the little sparrows having a really good dirt bird a few weeks ago, that was so sweet to watch..

Karen