FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PETS - gotta love them! Share funny, loving stories about pets and animals.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I thought I would start this thread, about our pets.

I have read in the forums a lot of us has a pet or pets of some kind.

Be it a dog, cat, bird, rabbit, guinie pig, tortoise, snake, lizard etc: they bring joy to our lives, they are there for us giving us unconditional love.

I thought a it would be nice if we could share our pets antics, or if you've seen other animals, doing things that have made you laugh.

They can be funny, loving, outrageous, anything that your pet does or does not do that puts a smile on your face and might put a smile on someone's face that is struggling.

Please keep the stories light hearted and happy,

We all love our pets, let's let others enjoy them as well..

I will go first to get it up and running.

I have two little dogs, Maltese x Yorkshire x Aussie Terriers, I have Mum (4 years old) and Daughter (2years old).

My dogs have the run of the house, my back screen door after many attempts and lots of failures I put a doggie dog into it. I love theses two they are my fur family.

My story is about another dog I had many years ago, I called him boof he was a Belgium Shepard, I was sitting at my kitchen table one day just looking out my back door (creedance). Boof was just relaxing in the shade with my young son. It was a hot day and I thought I might take my young son into the pool. I was about to go outside when all of a sudden a cat ran across our yard, well Boof just took off after the cat yep my young son took off after Boof, then Boof it looked like his brakes stopped working, he was chasing the cat then I saw him slide (son still chasing him). he couldnt stop, he slid into the swimming pool with such force he bent the tin frame nearly flat to the inside of the pool, well a waterfall began, Boof was on the other side of the pool he crashed straight through it, my son ended up slipping on the water skidded to the other end of the pool, crashing and landing on Boofy scream of laughter was coming from my son, absolutely soaked to the skin covered in mud, Boof was trying to get up, slipping all over the place from the mud as well I think he was seeing stars from his hard hit, he couldn't get up. I couldn't stop laughing at the pair of them. They looked so funny covered in mud, the pool was later repaired. Son and dog was hosed off so it all ended well

Do you have a pet story to tell?

Kind thoughts

Grandy.

205 Replies 205

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello everyone,

A little story about a little bird..

We lived in a suburb of The outer west of Sydney, and we had some birds nesting in our roof. The eggs hatched and chirping started oh wow did it start, you know the birds knew as soon as we went to bed because they started chirping every single night and early morning. Sooo annoying but they were only babies, after a while they flew away, but we kept hearing one chirping away.

The following Morning the chirping was in the lounge room wall, inside the wall, near the light switches, we heard the chicks wings flapping and hitting the wall, then chirping then heard the chick fall, It was summer the poor chick..It was heartbreaking hearing him suffer, he was near the light switch so I turned the power off and undid the plastic thingy that switches the lights on and off, took it out and I heard him louder, I left it off and put some bread and water on the beam of wood just inside the wall...haha, he took the bread and disappeared again..This went on 2 days, I couldnt put my hand in because the hole in the wall was to small, I could see him at times, Geez I can't feed him like this forever I need my light switch,

A day and night later while I was sleeping I was woken up very early in the morning by a noise in the kitchen, I was apprehensive about going down to check on it. Eventually I went down to have a look when a bird flew past me hitting the walls constantly, my little bird escaped his prison, now he was stuck in my house, I opened both doors and eventually he flew out through the day.. relief took over me..

Its surprising how we react when animals are in danger, I mean that little bird caused me so much stress for 4 days. The little bird has probably never though about it again..Where I remembered about him yesterday as I watched the birds in the old empty house out back fly in and out of the roof...

Grandy.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you so much for your beautiful story Grandy!! Wonderful to read.

Do you know what sort of bird?

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Oh Grandy, what an absolutely beautiful story!!

"Geez i can't feed him like this forever, i need my light switch" 😂 !!!

Just gorgeous.

Chloe_M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Haha that was so cute Grandy! That made me smile, and that's a hard thing to do at 6:46am when I'm soup posed to be getting ready for school.

could it have been an Australian minor brid? I'm in Sydney too, and we have them in our trees in our yard.

once, my dad went into the yard to pick up sticks, or should I say branches, because it was sooo windy. He came running back inside to get me and my brother (I was about 8 or 9 I think, and my bro was 3 or 4), because their were two baby minor birds that had fallen from their nest. The tree was way to talk to put them back in their nest, so we made like a barrier ok our balcony and out them up there. They were fine up there, running around and attempting to escape, until my dads family visited 😂. We moved the birds around the side of our house, and for the whole day I was on bird watching duty, because they kept escaping! And every time they escaped, I had to go find them.

Once they were ready to fly, I asked my dad why we couldn't keep them. He said we couldn't because they weren't pets, and that their mummy's and daddy's woks be worried about them. He said that the only reason we kept them was because it wasn't safe to leave them, they could have gotten run over or eaten by cats.

i wanted a pet so badly, and my parents and brother are allergic to cats and dogs, so my mum bought me two beautiful black moor goldfish. They survived until last year (so about 6-7 years), when my brother claimed that they weren't fat enough, and dumped way too much food into their tank. Of course, knowing goldfish, they ate it all, then one had diahorrea, the other constipation 😂. I'm glad I don't have pets anymore, however, because I have too much on I think having a pet like a fish or bird would just stress me out more.

please share more funny and cute stories, I love animals!

Chloe 😋

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you Chloe for sharing your Australian minor bird story. Lovely to hear that people care for our wildlife. Wonderful.

I used to be a wildlife carer of birds. It was so rewarding, though at times a little distressing when they died. Had many young birds to care for over the years, so survived, some didn't.

Used to frequently get lorikeets that were drunk on the spring/summer nectar of the gum trees. People would bring them to me thinking they were dreadfully sick. I'd keep them for the night in a box with a warm light while they recovered. Next morning they were off flying again. Good to see.

Pammy

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Chloe Pamela and anyone reading,

Chloe...Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story about baby birds, I'm so happy to hear that you and your father not only cared for the birds but releasing them when the time was right..Love it You being on bird watching for the tiny escapees..

Pammy...I have heard about the lorikeets gets drunk but never seen it happen, well done for putting them up for the night and keeping them warm..

Birdie, hello and thank you for your post😁.

Anyone is welcome to share some pet or animal stories, the stories are so welcome here as it may put a smile on someone's face..

I think everyone loves to read about or adorable fur or feathered friend.

Kind thoughts,

Grandy.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Grandy and all 😊

My favourite chicken developed a problem a few months ago called internal laying, so her body was producing eggs, but she wasnt able to get them out of her body.

This, not surprisingly, made her very sick and could have caused her to die.

So the vet gave her a hormonal implant that stopped her body creating eggs.

As she was so sick, she was sleeping in our laundry at night while she got herself better. During the day she would free range around the yard and garden.

After her implant, when she started to feel better, she started wanting to get in the nest every morning to "lay" , even though there was no such thing to lay.

After I let her out one morning, i heard her cackling and carrying on a treat - buck buck buckaaaaay, buck buck buck buckaaaaaay!! It was really loud. I couldn't find her, but followed the cackling and she had found her way back into the laundry - she had hopped into the drum of the washing machine (front loader) and was laying her phantom egg in there!

Awkward!!

She passed away yesterday, I will miss her special antics that made me laugh. RIP little friend 🐔

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Birdie and all.

Im really sorry to hear your favourite Chicken passed away...R.I.P. Little darling...A life is a life and a friend is a friend regardless of what type of species they are, and it saddens me that you have lost her..

Good memories are a treasure to look back on and remember her funny antics and how she made you laugh..

Thank you for your post Birdie.. it is a shame that no little off spring remain..she sounded like she was special..loved the story of her fan tom egg..thank you.

Kind and caring thoughts,

Grandy

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Everyone,

When I moved into this house around 2.5 years ago now. My two little doggies (Kya & Ebony). soon found ways to escape the prison of a big yard...across the road they would run, barking at the cows, running around and around them, putting their head down, butt up with tails wagging and little playful barks...wanting to play with them...

I got them back over to mine, with a doggie treat...Big brush down , dinner, then inside play until tomorrow..The Morning came quick enough, I wanted to get them their needles at the vet, I gave them both a good bath and blow dried their fur then put some nice smelling powder on them,, I wanted them to smell nice....Needles all done, back home now..Doggies are asleep on the lounge..Awe cute...I went out back to clean up, then I heard Kya and Ebony barking at the cows...sigh..I went over to get them, geez they were just bathed 4 hours ago..walking across the road I saw Kya upside down rubbing her back on the grass, then like always Ebony had to follow what Kya was doing..

The lady three doors stopped in her car and talked to me..I talked for 5 minutes then the lady asked me if they were my dogs . I said yes, she said they were so cute,,I said thank you, Then I called them over by just saying lolly....well they came running, the lady in the car couldn't stop laughing, I just wanted to cry..I was so upset, Kya and Ebony was covered in thick stinky cow poop, wet stinky sticky cow poop, they absolutely stinked. .The was lady still laughing, I picked them up very carefully, said goodbye.. the smell was horrible, I had one in each hand holding them away from me, the poop was so thick, I ended up hosing them both down down quickly before putting them into a bubble bath outback for a scrub...All clean now I dried them off with a towel put them inside, I had a look at the fence to try to stop them getting out..it was a no fix..so I got a new fence (the pool fence style). put up...Ahh problem solved a thousand plus $$.. I had to keep the dogs inside for 3 days until the fence was put up...I put them outside..lol straight through the bars and across the road, by the time I got across the road Kya was rolling around in it again..Ebony was deciding which one was the best for her...I walked away, sat on the veranda and cried..after a bit of time they came Home. I hosed them off bathed them again put them inside..the next few days .I put some wire around the bottom of the fence...Ahh problem solved..or is it?

Grandy..

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Everyone.

I need to put this in here.

I remember the first time I ever layed eyes on you.. you were not even as long as a can of coke...or heavier then annempty can, you were my sons and now dil first joint purchase together, a present to each of us from....from each of us you said that day...You colours were gorgeous, dark rusty brown in fact lots of shades of Ruth browns and black with the tiniest dot of white. Your were beautiful, sweet, cuddly, snappy and growly all rolled up in one. Gizmo my son named you.
We had a Belgium Shepard at the time, you put Gizmo next Boof who was lying down wagging his tail.. we laughed because Boof being like 500 times your size jumps out of bed and runs away after a few seconds we spotted him looking at you...Eventually we coaxed Boof back to us and then introduced you again to you Gizmo a few minutes late you just layed there and let little Gizmo play with you..
Gizmo was running around you then over to us, barking and growling, he some nibbles on our toes then back to you, his little bark was so adorably sweet. Gizmo finally fell asleep curled up next to Boof's face, you were both celebraties in our home so many photo were taken..
The day ended after so many chewed on toes and scratched legs, but hey we fell in love with you..You went home and I missed you, but I knew you would be spoilt, and you were.
Then years later along came a little baby person, fearing you would feel left out, my son brought you a little puppy girl...You and Millie loved each other and constantly played together..My grandson loved and played with you both, you were his best mates..Over time you both had 3 litters of puppies My son kept a little male puppy that looked so much like you as a puppy.
Then along came Kya, a tiny little puppy, so small and cute...a gift from my son ..I used to visit you Gizmo and bring Kya to visit you and Millie, then kya had puppies along came Ebony, I would take both down for visits, you always welcomed them Gizmo, you loved playing with them, but your arthritis stopped you..it was your 14 th birthday in June you are so loved, you've been a special friend to my grandson, he never new life without you until yesterday, you silently fell asleep forever..You will be very sadly missed by your human family .and your doggie family you have left behind Millie, your son bruiser, your daughter Kya and granddaughter Ebony.

Always in my heart ❤️ my special fur friend.

Gismo, 28/6/04 - 1/7/18..R.I.P.💜.

Grandy..