FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

CHRISTMAS 2018/NEW YEARS Chillout Lounge

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hey Everybody! Christmas is the time of year to enjoy & share with family & friends. Some people will spend this time alone & isolated too!
This is a safe place where people can post and say hello, chat or send wishes to others and have a 'Virtual Christmas/New Years'!
Whether you have plans for Christmas/New Years or having a quiet one you can kick back and just enjoy company of others. Its been a long year. Even if you have never posted on Beyond Blue before you are very welcome to come in and sit around our 'Virtual Christmas Tree' and chat 🙂
You asked for this Paul here it is for all.
Santa (AKA Kanga Peter) Ho Ho! 🙂
535 Replies 535

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

CMF to a certain point we have adapted the northern hemisphere concept moved it here at the samt day of the year. That's why some silly bugger changed it to Christmas in July so we could have a Christmas with snow. Any way to me Christmas is not about snow nor presents. It's giving which is what I see christmas should be about giving till it hurts then find something else to give.

Kanga. Peter

Hi everyone,

Ah Kanga thank you for the memories. I love the Aussie Xmas Carols!

On an unrelated note I once got given a book of carols as a kid written for cats.

Have never forgotten these bits...

We wish for the family goldfish

Why in bowl and not in our dish?

We wish for the family goldfish

To bring us good cheer!

We're sick of the budgie chirping

Let's eat him and all be burping

We're sick of the budgie chirping

Each day of the year...

Ahh Christmas...

Always makes me sad. I like to take my littlies for a night stroll to see the houses done up with lights though.

Thanks Kanga for this thread.

Good to see you about even a little CMF I've missed you.

Mathy
Community Member

Hi Kanga and everyone *waves*,

I’m liking this thread, will be great come Xmas time. I no longer have any biological family. I share Xmas dinner with a friend and quite happily spend the day by myself. 🙂

Looking forward to keeping up with this thread, cheers M 🙂

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

On the first day of Christmas,
My true love, sent to me,
An emu up a gum tree.
On the second day of Christmas
My true love sent to me,
Two pink galahs,
And an emu up a gum tree.
On the third day of Christmas
My true love sent to me,
Three kookaburras laughing,
Two pink galahs, and an emu up a gum tree.
On the fourth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Four koalas cuddling,
Three kookaburras laughing.
Two pink galahs
On the fifth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me.
Five Kangaroos,
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs,
On the sixth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me.
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos,
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs,
On the seventh day of Christmas
My true love sent to me,
Seven possums playing,
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos.
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galas,
On the eighth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me.
Eight dingoes digging,
Seven possums playing,
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos, a bounding,
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs,
On the ninth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Nine wombats working,
Eight dingoes digging,
Seven possums playing,
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos,
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs,
On the tenth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Ten lizards leaping,
Nine wombats working,
Eight dingoes digging,
Seven possums playing,
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos,
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs,
On the eleventh day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Eleven numbats nagging,
Ten lizards leaping,
Nine wombats working,
Eight dingoes digging,
Seven possums playing,
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos, m
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs,
On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Twelve parrots prattling,
Eleven numbats nagging,
Ten lizards leaping,
Nine wombats working,
Eight dingoes digging,
Seven possums playing,
Six brolgas dancing,
Five Kangaroos,
Four koalas cuddling,
Two pink galahs, And an emu up a gum tree.

Kanga

Ooh thanks Vitsyra!

I love tree decorating!

My family make a huge deal about the tree and the "theme". They coordinate the decorations with the wrapping paper and house decorations (shudders). This year is blue and silver. Me... Couldn't care less about a theme. I just love putting up twinkle lights and tinsel. The more bling the better.

What about others? Does anyone want a theme or can I just go for it with the multicoloured decorations... And candy canes. A tree must be smothered in edible snacks 😊.

Would love to know what traditions other members have which help them make christmas meaningful.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thx Kanga for starting this thread. I told Paul I would help out but just need time away from the forums. I appreciate you stepping in. I'm enjoying your down under versions of Xmas songs.

gosh it's so close, how dud it sneak up so quickly? No idea what I'm doing yet. Anyone else got plans yet?

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Kanga, I posted to you on my thread.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Christmas is coming, just have a look at the T.V. commercials and in the shops!

A few years ago my husband and I were very fortunate to be in parts of Europe for Christmas. I would love to return once more to see all the wonderful traditions, the Christmas Markets, the snow, the different foods and ways of celebrating.

Another year we were in Bali. That was so very different once again. Christmas trees were made out of everything from bamboo polls, to chillies, to plastic drink bottles. Shop owners stood at their doors and sang out Merry Christmas to all who walked past with huge smiles on their faces.

Christmas Day has been many different things to me over the years. Our family didn't have many traditions. We would go to the bush for a native pine tree for Christmas. Friends would give Mum and dad crayfish for Christmas lunch, Mum always made sure I had chicken to eat as I disliked crayfish.

I too have enjoyed reading the Aussie Christmas Carols, thanks Kanga and all for the contributions!

I guess Australia is made up of so many cultures and identities, some people like to keep their old traditions happening, while others are very happy to adopt different ideas and ways.

I for one enjoy looking in the shops at the different Christmas decorations that are available for sale. I'm happy to see that in the last couple of years decorations have more of a "home made" feel to them to me, not so much plastic, more textiles, textures and craft aspect to them.

Does anyone have a favourite Christmas decoration or one they always wondered as a child "What is that doing on the Christmas tree?"

Mum had some bird decorations that looked like they were made out of real feathers. I had no idea why they were on the Christmas tree. The cat used to think they were a bit of fun though!

Cheers all from Dools

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Everybody! Christmas is the time of year to enjoy & share with family & friends. Many people will spend this time alone & isolated too! Any readers and new posters are more than welcome to post:-)

This is a safe place where anyone can post and say hello, chat or send wishes to others and have some peace during another busy and often challenging Christmas/New Years period.

Lets just enjoy each others company. Its been a long year for many of us. Even if you have never posted on the Beyond Blue Forums before you are very welcome to say hi 🙂

Be gentle to yourselves.....I am trying to do the same. Happy Christmas/New Year everyone!

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Paul, thanks for this post, it's always been a sad time for me once my Mum was admitted into a nursing home, now with my 2 little granddaughters and before with my 2 sons I pretend to love it, even though I don't them on Xmas day. Geoff.