FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling overwhelmed and need to talk.

Beaser
Community Member

I wish this wasnt the case but things are getting overwhelming for me again . The world just seems a lonely place at the moment. I have friends who i seen on the weekend and i do get relief then. Its when i get back to being by myself that i crash. I have an appt with my psychologist today and had GP appt but he cancelled on me . I have had recent life events that have really made me distraught and lonely the main being a relationship breakup.

Im also unhappy at work and i feel like everything is so grey for me.

I have been a life time sufferer of anxiety and depression and being 56 it has tired me out. Im actually quietly proud of how i have managed to keep going and get as far as i have . Im scared about where i will end up from all this as i dont know where to turn . I have tried all my life to be a good person and think i have been .. I have always helped where i could and been a good citizen.

My family seem to have a history of depression and anxiety but i feel i have copped the worst of it . Ive always been oversensitive and let things affect me. I just want all this anxiety and depression to go away.

I have turned to these forums recently and its been a help to me . My anxiety and depression just gets so tough at times.

Where do i turn too in this place i just want to be happy again and want the same for others. Brett

I

114 Replies 114

Beaser
Community Member
Last night was just so tough. Found myself distraught from 1am .Found myself needing to talk and tried to contact friends in the early hours . I hope they understand and arent upset. Ive been a good friend to so many and i just needed to reach out. Brett.

Beaser
Community Member
Im really battling and feel like im losing myself.I seen a GP yesterday and he was less than helpful and even seemed frustrated with me. My regular GP is unavailable. I dont know where to turn and the medication im on seems of no use. I was supposed to go back to work today but im not up to it. Ihave no family and feel a little bit let down by some friends at the moment . Ive always tried to be there for them and i need them now but im so alone. I know i have to help myself but i have no energy . I just want peace and to be happy. I called a helpline last night and virtually got cut off i dont know why . I hate my illness Depression/Anxiety but its not my fault. Its ruined my life. I wish every one a Happy Day. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Brett.

Beaser
Community Member
Thank you Sophie. I was a bit upset when i rang lifeline this morning as i was basically cut off. I just dont understand this . It was if was doing something wrong by sounding as distressed as i was. I have rang a lot lately admittedly . But surely im doing nothing wrong. Brett

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Brett.

call the help lines as often as you need to. We can often blame ourselves for things that happen, but I’m sure it wasnt disconnected on purpose. Could have been a problem with the telco?!?

i know that some GPs are not as good as we expect them to be. I’ve had a couple like that, but then you may come across a GP that has way more empathy and is far more helpful than any previous.

we cant change our past, and we cant predict the future, all we can do is make decisions for the present moment.

if you are tired, tuck yourself into bed and try to get some sleep.

i heard once that the word depressed is much like deep-rest. And that is what your mind and body need, a deep rest. You have used an enormous amount of energy with the thoughts and feelings that brought you here, so you need time to rest.

Try to do little things to get some wins. It is easier said than done, but maybe even try something different. Maybe get a small piece of wood, and some coarse sand paper and sand until you have a duck. Concentrate on the duck, if anything comes into you thoughts just let it come and then go, and return to the duck.

Challenge yourself to see how much you can do before taking a break.

it doesnt have to be a duck, could be any shape, a car, a beetle.

there is hope, its just that your bucket is full.

if you can visualise a bucket over your head. Everything we hold on to or dont deal with fills up the bucket. If we keep doing this the bucket will eventually overflow and we get wet. We need to find ways to scoop the water out regularly to stop it from overflowing.

i hope your day becomes brighter. Take care of yourself little by little.

Not Batman

Thank You Not Batman. I appreciate your reply and suggestions. Great advice. I got out last night and did some volunteer work behind the bar at my footy club. My safe place. Really helps me . Brett.

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well done Brett. Do you have anything planned for the weekend?

we don't have to have anything planned, just take it as it comes,

Hi Not Batman.

Yes i will be helping at my football club today, probably pretty busy from midday onwards. We have a slide set up for the MND charity today to raise some money for it . Ill be working/volunteering behind the bar for a fair bit.. Its good i get to interact with people and not too much small talk. What is on for you? Brett.

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Brett.

it is good to interact with others. And good on you for volunteering. I hope the interaction isnt too much for you.

just do what you can, and if it becomes too much, take a break.

Today i’m seeing my nephew for his birthday. On lamb watch all weekend, and maybe fix up some slack fences around.

Have an awesome day.

Not Batman

Thanks Not A Batman.

Unfortunately i found the day at my footy club a bit much. Stuck working behind the bar for 7 hrs and never seen a kick. Sadly felt a bit disillusioned with the place that was once my happy and safe place. Im going to have to back off i think. Feeling a bit flat about it all. I have opened up to some trusted people im dont think i have to say im good when im having bad days....

Thanks for getting back to me .. I hope those foxes are keeping away from the lambs. Im a bit of a country lad and i know the devastation they can cause. Thanks again Brett.

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi brett.

Im sorry to hear it turned out the way it did. 7 hours sounds like a stretch for anyone, so it's important to remember to take a break. A couple of options may be to Close the bar or organise for a second hand. The positive to take away is that you gave it a go.

Unfortunately sometimes even the smallest or most familiar things can overwhelm us. i remember having a panic attach because i couldnt get the vacuum cleaner to work.

Just remember that its ok to not be ok. Reach out to people when you need to.

Not Batman