FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can't get a psychologist and I'm scared

Owlingo
Community Member

After talking to my psychiatrist about my thoughts and how I'm finding it hard to handle the side effects of my medication, she told me to try getting a psychologist. 

But I'm not being paid by centerlink and don't know if i ever will unless I work, which I can't because I'm struggling with severe depression and anxiety. So I can't afford to get a psychologist and I'm afraid I'll never get better. 

What if I can't cope or do this on my own? What if my anxiety and depression keep coming back? What if I do things wrong? What if I'll never get over my fears and my trauma? 

What if I go crazy? 

I really feel like I need a professional to talk to.

I can't stop stressing when things like this happen. I'm just constantly overthinking.

I can't believe in myself to get through this. I feel like I need someone to tell me what to do and how to think. 

1 Reply 1

CheaB
Community Member

Hi Owlingo,

Thank you for sharing, please remember that things will get better.

I assure you that there is a solution to this and you will be able to access support with the desired criteria that you have listed. Seeing a mental health professional can do wonders and can allow you to easily navigate around the emotions that your mind is experiencing. I would definitely recommend contacting Headspace to see a mental health clinician at either a very low cost or no cost at all. Using the link below, you can book an appointment at your nearest Headspace centre:

https://headspace.org.au/explore-topics/for-young-people/headspace-can-help/ 

In addition, these are some mental wellbeing resources which can also assist you in overcoming the feelings that you are experiencing via the link below:

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/services/health-and-care/mental-wellbeing-resources

I hope this helps!

Take care,

Sarea.