FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

This sounds ridiculous but it is creating great anxiety for me

ozziebear
Community Member

I know how pathetic this sounds and there is so much more in the world to worry about but I can't get over this issue.

I have a 65" smart tv which is now out of warranty

Every now and then it goes blank for a few seconds.

This is causing such stress and anxiety for me that I hardly watch my tv anymore. I know this sounds so childish and I need to grow up but when it happens I totally fall apart.

I wish this did not affect me the way it does. What do I do I can't call for help as it only happens about every 2 weeks.

Please don't put me down but any advice on what I should do would be so appreciated it. Should I try to live without a tv perhaps?

11 Replies 11

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello ozziebear, I know you said it is out of warranty, but why not look into getting it fixed if it is upsetting you? Or perhaps look at getting a new tv?

ozziebear
Community Member
hi jess, the tv costs 3,500 and because it happens so infrequent i feel that it won't be fixed, and if I buy another one my mind says what if it is just a foxtel issue, i am doing my head in over this

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Well it sounds like you have a few process of elimination things you can try. If it is a Foxtel issue then other people will be experiencing it. If you have another tv in the house, then you can see if it is happening there, or check on the internet to see if other people are experiencing it. You could try and work out if there are other reasons why it is happening, such as your cables or similar. You could take it in somewhere to get looked at. Or you could try and think about why this bothers you so much to try and get to the bottom of it. I guess the main point I am trying to make is, you seem to be feeling powerless over this issue when you actually have quite a few options you can try. What have you tried to do already?

ozziebear
Community Member
Ultimately I just want to accept that it is happening. I feel stupid if I go and buy a new tv and the same thing happens. I also feel stupid that a 2 second blimp bothers me so much. I hardly watch the tv anymore because I am in such a panic over it happening, but as I said I just want to accept it, it really is no big deal but my mind over catastrophises everything

my mind is over catastrophising this issue. I feel that if I was to become homeless at least I wouldn't have this issue, thats just crazy isnt it, thats what my mind says to me 😞

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
It does seem to be stressing you a great deal. Is this the only thing that makes you feel this way? Have you gotten similarly anxious about other types of things in the past?

ozziebear
Community Member
yes i suffer bad anxiety and worry over everything unfortunately

Hi ozziebear,

Welcome to the community here. I have just come across your thread. If you don't mind me asking, have you spoken to anyone about your anxiety? Have you seen a Dr at all or read an information on anxiety to learn how you can help yourself with how you are feeling?

Regarding the T.V. when you are not feeling so anxious about it, could you phone the place where you bought the T.V. and explain the issue you are having. A technician there may have some answers for you.

Maybe you could try to desensitise yourself to the issue with the T.V. Watch it, and when the issue happens, tell yourself it is just an issue with the T.V. It is something that is currently out of your control. Try and make peace with the situation, accept it if you can.

Reacting to situations can make the so much worse. Anxiety can be helped. I'd like to encourage you to look at that.

All the best from Dools

Thanks so much Dools

Great advice.

Yes I see a psychiatrist who wants me to watch the tv and write down the amount of times I have it on and if the situation occurs.

I love your desensitise advice, am going to do that

Thanks again