FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Psychiatrist

Faitful79
Community Member

Today I got told by the 4th psychiatrist that I have been referred to that they are not taking on new patients and that they don’t have a waiting list so I have to try someone else. I’m so over this. I have paid my GP 4 times now for theses referrals and got no where and she won’t put me on medication because of my long mental health history. I’m at a loss for what to do. I’m ready to give up.

4 Replies 4

Caite
Community Member

Hey Faitful79, I’m finding the exact same issue in my local area. Have you tried to connect with online therapists?

Faitful79
Community Member

I have had bad experiences with online for another issue so I just really want someone that I can at least physically see when I need to. I’m happy if some of the appointments are like zoom or telehealth and I’m happy to travel up to an 1 and 1/2 hours to major city when I require a inperson appointment.

Caite
Community Member

I understand that, you poor thing, I hope you find someone soon, it really is the best thing ever in my experience 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Faitful79.

I wonder if you have tried to search for a Psychiatrist at the websit for the Royal Australian and New Zealand  College of Psychiatry (RANZCP)? They have a search page which allows you to filter for some of the things you need in the Psychiatrist you might like to see. Things like area, telehealth,  areas of interest, & such.

I did a very similar thing when looking for a Psychologist. I didn't know I could search at the RANZCP's website when looking for a Psychiatrist. I didn't have a clue then.

Lately, it as been very difficult for many people, so you will need a lot of patience while your search goes on.

Personally, I don't know why GPs don't use the same facility as those available at the RANZCP's & The Psychological Association of Australia's websites. Far better than potluck.

In the meantime, feel free to talk here or to call BB Counsellors on 1300 224 636, or the 'Chat Online' link near the bottom of these pages.

mmMekitty