FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Unsure

Jay234
Community Member

Kind of scared to post this but i guess it cant hurt. I had cancer around ten years ago and haven't been the same since, it has changed me mentally and physically to the point of being afraid of most things and i hardly see my friends anymore, i long for companionship but have nothing to offer a potential partner so i dont bother, i want a job really badly but i have no qualifications and im terrified of the application process, i put on a tough act but i feel myself getting weaker every day, i self harm and thoughts of suicide have become much more frequent and im looking for some kind of support group or the alternative: an easy way out

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Jay234,

Welcome to the Forums. We can hear you’ve been struggling ever since your journey with cancer. It sounds really hard being scared and feeling isolated, we're so sorry that's been going on.

We’re reaching out to you privately to let you know we’re here for you. If you’d any of this through with the Beyond Blue Support Service, we’re on 1300 22 4636, or you can use our webchat here.

We can hear you've had moments of thinking about suicide. When feeling suicidal or are having thoughts about harming yourself, it's important to take immediate steps to keep safe. Lifeline offer crisis support, available 24/7 on 13 11 14, or online here. If there’s ever an immediate risk of harm, the number to call is 000 (triple zero). 

We’d recommend having a look at the Beyond Blue safety planning app, Beyond Now. You can read about how it works and where to download it here. You can even call Lifeline and complete it with one of their counsellors over the phone if you'd like.

Thanks again for sharing, Jay234. We know it’s not easy to share what’s going on, but you’ve taken a really brave and positive step.

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Jay

With cancer being such a fearful experience, the level of courage and determination someone who faces such a battle conjures up speaks volumes when it comes to their nature. Courage and determination are a part of their nature. They are a part of your nature. Human nature is such a complex thing...

I've found 'Only under certain circumstances' to be a revelation. Only under certain circumstances would I find myself yelling at a person, after I have tried every other thoughtful and caring way to communicate clearly. Only under certain circumstances would I find myself exploring in detail how I think, how I behave, how others around me behave etc etc. Typically those circumstances involve me trying to get out of a period of depression or intolerable levels of stress. Only under certain circumstances would I employ greater self care, when carelessness toward myself comes with consequences, symptoms or side effects. The list goes on when it comes to circumstance. So, you could say that only under certain circumstances do I channel a part of me that's upstanding or a facet full of serious wonder or self loving aspect. Those parts of me are in there, it just takes certain factors to bring them to life. Courage and determination are in you, waiting again to be brought to life. The question is 'What will bring them to life?'.

The small ways can be easier to manage, easier to practice in the beginning. Could it be you will practice getting the job you really want down the track by starting with simple jobs first? When I say simple, I don't necessarily mean easy. After being a stay at home mum for some years, I was terrified about returning to work. While I was confident in parenting, outside of this my self esteem was shot to hell. To add to the challenge, I'm a bit of an introvert so the challenge was also about entering into a group of people I didn't know. I chose a job in aged care, based on it being an industry I was somewhat familiar with in from my younger years. Began as a cleaner then changed over to working in the kitchen. Both involved a lot of hard work yet the work was relatively simple. I knew, without a doubt, I could manage 'simple'. It was through this simple job that I found good friends, people who helped me develop as a person in so many different ways.

I think we can be led to believe we have to act in extraordinary ways - find amazing jobs, become a social butterfly, display the kind of self esteem that wows a crowd. To simply live can be a skill in itself.

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jay234,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so low and lost at the moment. I had cancer also 7 years ago and it is probably the most confronting news a person can get, it makes you face your own mortality and you have no idea how it will all turn out. So I would like to offer you a way to reframe your thoughts on your experience. The fact that you faced that diagnosis, were treated and came out the other side shows everyone how much strength you actually do have and you can be proud of yourself for getting through it. Is it possible for you to consider that going through that is probably the scariest thing you will be confronted with and if you can get through that, you will know you have the strength and courage to handle and overcome whatever comes along after that?

We are here for you, so talk again when you feel the need.

indigo22