FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tell us your thoughts - What's kept or keeping you here?

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

This is not an easy thread to make but I'm doing it because I think it's important.

I can see that you're all hurting and I know because I'm hurting too. Right now I'm in an easier place but it wasn't that long ago where I wasn't. Often we can find lots of reasons why we don't want to be here, and very few reasons that we do. So I'm making this post to bring everyone together to either find reasons to stay or show me why you've stayed. I don't care whether they are small or big reasons. They are reasons.

Please feel free to post below because I want to hear yours, and I want this to be a thread where people who come here can grab onto a reason too.

The reasons why I chose to stay -

- My dogs.

- Planning to die was very complicated.

- I wanted to hold on just in case things got a little bit better.

and now, I'm glad that I stayed. Please know that while suicide will end the pain, it will end your life too - so you'll say goodbye to any opportunities that things might get better. Opportunities for laughter, joy and beautiful memories. Sometimes it's about staying with the pain and finding other ways to let go of it without saying goodbye to our life.

707 Replies 707

Hello needhelp..2

I want to welcom you to the forum. You will find many people here, all caring & kind, each of us learning from & supporting each other. We gladly have room for everyone, including you.

what you wrote here is so very like how I felt when I was a teenager, nearly 50 years ago

needhelp..2 said:honestly i don't know at this point. i keep thinking of how it would ffect people and then i realise it wouldn't affect anyone because no one cares anymore. they didn't even notice when i was struggling and when they did they dint do anything to help. i have no one.

So what I then thought: I have myself. I ought to have written that in an earlier post in the this thread, because my survival came down to me, myself, Something about myself, & I don't really know what it is, has kept me here, even when times were really bad.

I think Grandy has a good idea - to start your own thread, so you can talk some more?

Warm regards, to you, & everyone posting & reading.😺

mmMekitty

Mobi_2020
Community Member
Can so totally relate to this :'(

NoUseForAName
Community Member

My cat.

The only thing keeping me here is my cat. When I look at him and think ‘he would be so confused and scares if I just didn’t come back one day’ it breaks my heart, so I stay…

He brings me a little joy everyday and makes me laugh. I love him to bits.

Mum Chris
Community Member

Hi

I always identify as PTSD section but I’m delicate and on the danger zone. My daughter my dog and me keeps me going. My daughter needs me she’s grown but you always need your mum. My grandkids too they need to know that I can make it. I’m stubborn and while I’m tired and fed up I want better for me. I’m not sure why I had to endure what happened to me but who knows. I have current life better than most and others don’t see hidden pain. I’m truly lucky in my current life just the undercurrent is strong.
MC

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Me. Being responsible for myself, the answer is 'me'; I am responsible for keeping myself here.

mmMekitty

Anna84
Community Member
My husband and my children. life would also be a lot harder on them with only one parent, income etc. I can’t be that selfish..

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Anna, thanks for posting your comment in romantic_thi3f's thread.

If you do separate and there is only one income, presently, then the other parent can claim benefits from Centrelink, and if they find a flat/house then they can claim 'rent assistance', then there will be two incomes coming in.

I know someone close to me who has separated from his spouse and have two young kids who are much happier living in two households, rather than one unhappy house, they adapted to this situation without any trouble.

Please ask me any question you like or perhaps you could start your own thread if that suits you.

You can do this by clicking 'All Posts', then choose a section you want, then click 'New Thread'.

Hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Anna64, Geoff & everyone,

As practical as Geoff's information may be, may I add that, Anna, your value is surely much more than the money you bring to the household. You are a wife & mother, you are a human being, an individual with a mind & heart, worthy of your life, both giving & recieving love, care, understanding, compassion, & to be there, contributing in many other ways to the life & health of your family, including you.

I think, look at the children, & see. there's a lot of you in them. Your care & love for them has contributed very much towards them being the wonderful children they are today.

Warmly,❤️❤️❤️

mmMekitty