FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Movies and literature on mental illness that resonated with you

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello all,

I thought we could do a thread about movies, books, poems, songs etc. about mental illnesses that you feel you could relate to, which kept you going even when times are dark, or which make you feel less alone in your struggles. I hope that by sharing these, we can build up a collection of movies and literature that members of our community can relate to as well. I'll start:

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (book) - topic: depression

Resumé by Dorothy Parker (poem) - topic: reasons not to commit suicide

Cheers,
M

31 Replies 31

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Book A brilliant madness by patty duke. All about bipolar.

thanks Emmen

Guest_1055
Community Member
A very old movie called It's a wonderful Life

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Emmen..and everyone...🤗..

Footprints....It’s about a rescue German Shepard, who was rescued by family..Who later becomes the first therapy dog for children while in hospital..,,plenty of tissues are needed..

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Thank you for your suggestions, Quirky, Shelll and Grandy! These are some wonderful suggestions!

- M

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have not read this but might read at some point : An Angel At My Table: The Complete Autobiography – Janet Frame
I love Sylvia Plath's poem Tulips which references her time in a psych ward.

I also like Raymond Gaita's Romulus my Father which describes his mother's strugglers with mental health

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

If you are familiar at all with the goons, then you will know spike milligan. He suffered from depression for a great deal of his life. The book is not a normal jovial read like spikes other books, its more of a serious read.

The book ‘Depression and how to survive it’ was given to me to give me some insight into depression. And i thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1250553.Depression_And_How_To_Survive_It

Not_Batman

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

thanks for the recommendation re spike milligan.

A fiction book I read called Leaving the Atocha Station (Ben Lerner) - was really beautiful writing about mental illness.

I have read Janet frames autobiography. A talented writer who suffered at a time when people with mental illness were treated badly.

Hi Quirky, I've heard it was really good - will try get it to have a read. She does sound remarkable.