FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Seeking advice

Guest_8790
Community Member
I am not sure if I am in right area but for sometime I am dealing
With hypervigilance. I did notvrealise it until my psychologist
Told me.

II know that I need patience and think before reacting but I am struggling
To do this.

For example I was going to water plants at front but a girl was walking down driveway
And i asked what she wanted in a rude manner. She stated
Was crossing my lawn to go next door. I apologised but she
Just walked off.
I feel like a low life for reacting the way I did. Can anyone
Suggest any material I could get info on this?

I thought of moving but that will not help me.

dejected rusty
3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Guest_8790, there's an old saying which at times we forget about 'Patience is a virtue' but there are times when we don't even care, simply because we're put into a situation that basically overrides that thought, and I'm sure we've all been caught out.

Moving would not necessarily solve the problem, you would only be transferring how you feel from A to B and there could be a chance that makes your hypervigilance worse.

Maybe you need to understand what 'impatience' actually means so that you can learn to be the opposite.

I'd be interested to know if your psychologist suggested any books or how they are going to treat you.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

I've done it and plenty of times it's been said to me

Guest_8790
Community Member
Hello Geoff

Thanks for reply. I know that quote but alas I am neither patient or virtuous, but I will endeavour to learn patience.

My psychologist only mentioned hypervigilance whenever a door banged. She did not really address how to cope with it and no suggestions on what to read.

This is where I was hoping to get ideas.

I am considering changing counsellors as last session she stumbled about what to say and as I only talk over the phone, the situation was uncomfortable.

I will keep trying.

Rusty

Hello Rusty, it might be easy for the psychologist to mention these words, but you would think they were able to substantiate this with therapy, provide material or at least suggest something to read.

Do you feel comfortable asking her if she knows another person who is able to help you, and this maybe easier over the phone rather than face to face.

Now that lockdown is slowly ending (Vic) this will make other psych's be available.

Take care.

Geoff.