FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression and Christianity

Fly-Away-Blue-Bird
Community Member

Hi all

I am new here and it has taken me a while to stop and admit that I have depression. It has taken a while because depression comes in many forms and I would go undetected most of the time because I appear happy on the outside but my mind plagues me each day. It scares me to talk about this because it means that the abuse of the past still has a hold on me and that just makes me mad! Now I am going to share with you about my religion but I don't want this thread to be about tearing it apart, because that would make me even more depressed!!

I am a Christian and I have been for 13 years now. I have been healed from many things of my past but other things remain. I think being a Christian has made it harder for me to admit and to talk to others about my depression because the stereotype I get is that Christians should be happy.. I know that when I go to church everyone is smiling and it is difficult to imagine that anyone but me could feel so sad, so lonely and so different from anyone else. I don't even share on Facebook what I am going through because when I see another friends write something about depression all I see is the typical Christian answers of "Go to God, you can overcome this through him, You will be alright keep smiling, what have you got to be depressed for Christ took it for you, etc etc." Those answers come from people who just don't understand!

So here I am, opening up to strangers.. Please be kind  🙂

46 Replies 46

Egg1
Community Member

Hi guys,

Not feeling good the last few days. I'm still in hospital getting treatment for depression and anxiety. I was starting to improve, then I had an allergic reaction to wax on my face which just makes me feel that my life is always a struggle and just when things appear to be on the improve, I'm knocked down again.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Egg1,

Sorry to hear what you are going through at the moment. I hope you get well soon. We are all thinking of you at this time. I pray for your healing and better days ahead. Take care,

Tim

Egg1
Community Member

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your words of empathy and support. I really appreciate prayer at the moment. I hope you have a good week. God bless you.

Egg1
Community Member

Hi Shell,

No I haven't heard of Andrew Wommack. What's your opinion of him? How are you going?

Keep smiling

Egg1

Belle_Mae_Bricket777
Community Member

Hi Fly,

I have experienced depression as a christian from time to time and have come out of it with answers. As faith requires less than tangible means of comfort in hard times we can fall short by looking for things in the physical... and then unconsciously merge the two worlds together. Though I have felt that the major reason for ongoing depression outside clinical depression is vitamin deficiencies, lack of exercise, poor diet, self absorption/self indulgence, comparison, spiritual laziness and approval of others. It may sound harsh but it is definitely true, and even when our faith has ebbs and flows, when we wander we learn new bad habits and need some good mapping to get to the root causes later. When things seem too comfortable and too familiar and not really beneficial to ones growth or health... make a conscious decision to do the opposite before it takes residence... it may take a couple days but stick with it.. have a couple days of 12 hour fasts 7-7 should be on your way... don't forget to pray😉

Srfr
Community Member

Dear Fly-away-Blue,

It has been my experience in Christianity circles that denial is rife and truth is, well, not forthcoming. Being straight forward & finding pretense burdensome, personally I think it’s ok to be real, but not always safe in the Christian community. I do hope you can straddle both worlds. I definitely could not, and whilst still Christian, am not a church-goer. Be good to yourself and keep your power, is my advice

Srfr
Community Member

Got a good laugh from your comments today. Particularly exorcist vs pharma. Real. Thanks Damien!