FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression and Christianity

Fly-Away-Blue-Bird
Community Member

Hi all

I am new here and it has taken me a while to stop and admit that I have depression. It has taken a while because depression comes in many forms and I would go undetected most of the time because I appear happy on the outside but my mind plagues me each day. It scares me to talk about this because it means that the abuse of the past still has a hold on me and that just makes me mad! Now I am going to share with you about my religion but I don't want this thread to be about tearing it apart, because that would make me even more depressed!!

I am a Christian and I have been for 13 years now. I have been healed from many things of my past but other things remain. I think being a Christian has made it harder for me to admit and to talk to others about my depression because the stereotype I get is that Christians should be happy.. I know that when I go to church everyone is smiling and it is difficult to imagine that anyone but me could feel so sad, so lonely and so different from anyone else. I don't even share on Facebook what I am going through because when I see another friends write something about depression all I see is the typical Christian answers of "Go to God, you can overcome this through him, You will be alright keep smiling, what have you got to be depressed for Christ took it for you, etc etc." Those answers come from people who just don't understand!

So here I am, opening up to strangers.. Please be kind  🙂

46 Replies 46

Sheiknah
Community Member

Thanks Moderator B !!

Prefer not to go on FB as it likes to update everyone what you have been up too but thanks for letting me know : )

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Sheiknah, your comment is truly appreciated, and I accept what you have had to say.

I have no argument for anybody that has had a religious upbringing or by having any mythological or spiritual belief, that's their choice, and that's their entitlement, and because I don't have any beliefs, I am not going to argue, that's not my place to do so on this site.

It helps enormously if the person you talk to, and the list of professionals is never ending, but if they have actually gone through depression themselves, they then understand the strain, withdrawal, hibernation and break down of any relationship that this illness inflicts upon us.

My psychologist of 20 years had depression and I asked her how she overcome it and she said her kids pulled her through, so could read my mind perfectly, and that's why I kept on seeing her for this long period.

My GP also had depression and now his son is struggling with it, and again he knows how I feel, and has said to me to ring him anytime I need to see him.

I know that I am very lucky this way, the only problem is that he's not always at the clinic.

I am interested in ' I have had prayer and instantly been healed of some things', if you want to share with us. Geoff.

Christian
Community Member

Hi Fly-Away-Blue-Bird

I am so sorry for the pain you have gone through. I have been through a period of depression and lost a younger brother to suicide. My younger brother was also a Christian, a Bible College graduate and Youth Pastor. He was diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder a year before he ended his life 15 years ago.

It was after this that I started to search for answers, how could a loving God (who I believe is all powerful and all knowing) allow this? I am quite certain that my younger brother was in so much pain without the help he needed that God just allowed him to come home where there is no more sorrow or tears. 

It saddens me, though, that so few in the church really do understand and know how to help. Jesus said that He came to heal the broken-hearted. This includes those with depression. I have found so much help and comfort through the Bible and the love of God. God has healed me as I have sought Him, prayed, and searched His word.

Each of us in individual and unique. But as a Christian, I believe what God's word says. That we are deeply loved by Him. I pray that you will find your answers within God's word and experience the kind of healing available through the love of God and comfort of the Holy Spirit.

Lillybell
Community Member

Hi Fly Away Bird, there have been some really helpful comments posted on here. I just wanted to  add that there is a Bible verse that speaks of Jesus being depressed in spirit just before the crucifixion. That's not to say that he was suffering with clinical depression but that he was emotionally affected by his circumstances.  He also wept over the death of Lazarus. So if Jesus suffered with sadness than I can't see how it is wrong for Christians to and a sign of a lack of faith or something. I think part of the problem with modern Christianity is the healing ministeries that have become a major feature of many churches and which you've mentioned. You get prayed over and whatever you're suffering with is meant to be healed. And if not... you must be at fault and be sinning in some way. It is such a dangerous belief for people with mental illness. There are Christian psychologists out there that could  help you with how to respond to your christian community about depression. You may be able to find someone through one of the Christian radio stations. You're really brave to come on here because Christians these days can get a lot of criticism and intolerance. I wish you well and hope you get the support you need, because I understand how lonely it can be not having a sense of belonging anywhere.

Lillybell
Community Member

Hi Christian, I noticed after I'd posted my message that the original post goes back to April so I'm not sure if Fly Away Bird is still  around or has spread his wings and flown away (sorry bad joke). Anyway just thought I would  respond to your post and tell you that I also have lost a brother to suicide. It was devastating and took me a long time to get over it. Not that it is something that you ever get over.  I think all that happened is that something else, just as devastating came along to take its place. The latest for me was my nephew's drowning, four years ago. That just about finished me off.  The most difficult thing of all, was witnessing the pain that my brother and his wife went through in losing their 17 year old son. It brings tears to my eyes now as I write. I've always been able to work on my own pain, but there was nothing I could do to help theirs. I ended up withdrawing into a shell. I'm glad for you that you've been able to maintain your faith but mine was rocked and still is. When people talk about God having a plan for people's lives, I want to say, you've got to be f##king kidding. And I don't swear! It just seems ridiculous that it would include suicide and drowning. But I don't say anything and ironically my sister-in-law has suddenly found faith since her son died. I figure if that gives her comfort and helps her survive then I'm not going to burst her bubble. And it is the same for you, Christian. I am really happy for you that you have found a peace in it all.

Nojy
Community Member

Fly-Away-Blue-Bird

I have recently joined this site in hopes of helping fellow Christian sufferers of depression.  I so sincerely sympathise with you. I am a Christian woman and I suffered depression for years, but it is now many years since I succumbed to this awful affliction.

I found great help in two places in addition to prayer: Jerry Jampolsky has a website, and A Course in Miracles have a website.  You might like to explore these for help.

I started with the book Love is letting go of fear by Jerry Jampolsky, which led me to The Course in Miracles.  I read the books, but have since discovered the websites.  I am currently reading both books again as I  have been feeling low and close to depression - and I am doing fine.

CD7
Community Member

As a Christian you are better off confessing to *********** than depression, as you will get far more sympathy and understanding with the former.

If a Christian sees somebody struggling with a injured leg they won't hesitate to help.  Sure, they'll pray for your leg (and miracles DO happen) but when it clearly has not healed only the real whackos make you walk on it.  But struggling with depression?  Oh heck no.  Clearly that is MY fault for not having enough faith, and at worst a tongue-lashing about my lack of faith and a perfunctory prayer will solve EVERYTHING.  Saying I'm still depressed even after they so graciously commanded the demons to come out is worse than denying the resurrection.

It's so sad, because my Faith in Christ is the only thing that has kept me going when things are at there worst.

Miraazlife
Community Member

Hello all,

I have been surfing the net tonight, and for some reason ended up here.  My heart is welling up inside me just reading the above comments, and I am in such a bad way at the moment, I am just praying to God that this site may be helpful to me in some way.  I have been a sincere Christian since the age of 21 after some very tumultuous years of drug and alcohol abuse which worked at times to mask and drown the depression I have battled with since about 14.  I am now 43 and a wife and mother.  I have known some wonderful times of relationship with Jesus over the years, and was in ministry for a time as a Chaplain to troubled youth.  Over the years I have also struggled with some terrible bouts of depression and anxiety, and presently feel in an absolutely horrendous place.  I am attending a church I am getting a lot out of (although I have no friends there as I have become terribly socially phobic - I am an expert at distancing myself) but fear has become absolutely overwhelming to me.  My head is plaguing me with irrational fears of all sorts of atrocities that may occur to me or my children.  I hate taking my kids to school each day because I feel awkward and scrutinised there.  My X-best friend takes her kids there and she rejected me a while back when I told her I was battling with depression, so, pile of hurt there too.  My father has distanced me in the past year or so, which has broken my heart.   I am fighting it as much as I can but some days are a nightmare.  I am not on medication at the moment as I have been on different ones over the years but they always seemed to become ineffective after a time.  I have tried 5htp.  Nothing seems to be effective and I am despairing of finding anything that can help me.   My life is a mess, and I know I am largely responsible for this state of affairs.  I have no friends, only a trail of loss and failure behind me.  I feel suicidal at times, but have some protective factors 1. My kids 2. I don't want to hurt my husband or kids by suiciding 3. I am terrified of going to hell.  At this point, I would just love some encouragement, just to know there is someone out there who cares.  I am so sad.  Thanks for reading my morose post.

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Hi Miraazlife 

welcome to beyond blue and I am sorry your post has fallen through the cracks, and it has taken so long for someone to answer your post.

you seem like a strong person and I really want to encourage you to hang on tight. And I hope that these Forums can be helpful to you. 

It is good that you have got help in the pass but please don't give up I reminded of the footprints  in the sand poem that  I am sure you have herd of ,the last line of the poem says the times when you have only seen one set of footprints is the times of when I carried you. ....

( some times we just need to let him carry us through the storm )

i just want to let you know that you are not alone in this, I am a Christian that suffers from Depression and anxiety myself and only recently decided to go against what my past church has Said and get help outside the church. And I encourage you to keep posting and even start your own thread. maybe not everyone on this forum will be of our faith but they are amazing people and they will be able to encourage you and support you. Also if you do need someone to talk to or have any of them thoughts again I encourage you to phone beyond blue or lifeline.

i hope to hear back from you soon and I hope these forums will be helpful for you like they have been for me. 

Until then bless you

Sparkles  

vanillagreekyogurt
Community Member

Hi Fly-Away-Blue-Bird,

Thank you for posting this and sharing all of your experiences with depression. I just wanted to say that I too am a Christian, and I recently suffered experiences similar to what you went through. But you are not alone. I have written more in detail about my story on my blog - if you ever have the time, you can check it out.

Depression is hard, but remember that through all of this, God is with you, even when you don't feel Him there. One day in eternity, you will look back, and see that it is for His ultimate purpose.