FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My sister reported me to the police

MisterM
Community Member
I can't forgive her, I can't forget it, I feel so angry about it.
She thought I was going to hit her was her motivation for going to a police station to report me, I've not once in my life done so and never threatened to.
It was all because I was at her house to support my brother in law who was in a bad place mentally after the two of them had some marital problems. She wasn't home at the time.
This happened a number of months ago, I am angry at her for doing such a thing and cannot wipe it from my memory.
Me and my sister have been estranged for a number of years and have not spoken.
28 Replies 28

pipsy
Community Member
Hi MM.  Well at least you know there's nothing to worry about.  It's obvious you'd be feeling like 'crap'.  You've been through the mill a bit in the last couple of weeks, what with sister and BIL's situation, not knowing if it's gone on record.  On top of all that you're hoping to embark on a new career, I would be amazed if you didn't feel like you've been dragged through the wringer a bit.   Now you need to concentrate on your own life and try and put the last couple of weeks behind you.  I know it's easier said than done, but as each day closes, hopefully you'll start to settle down a bit.  Once this police check for new job is done, that'll help your nerves too.  I think, though, for your peace of mind, next time anything happens between sister and hubby, let them sort it out.  Don't buy into anymore problems with them.  Stay friends with BIL if you want to, but keep out of their matrimonial situation.  I'm so pleased everything has been sorted, and hope everything goes well for your future.  I'm sure the police check will be fine, that's standard practice.  I recently had to get a police check done for the job I have.  All that is, is to make sure there are no criminal convictions, you haven't been in jail, standard stuff.  You'll pass with flying colours.  All the best to you.    

MisterM
Community Member

Hi pipsy,

Thank you.
I still feel anxious, it's like I need to hear it from a police officer to believe my BIL.
I know I sound ridiculous, I am scared to go in so felt like calling the station today but didn't.
My anxiety is through the roof, I haven't slept properly in 2 nights and feel run down.

pipsy
Community Member
Hi MM.  Well, you basically have two choices, either believe your BIL and let it go, or call the police and find out one way or another.   I think if it was me and I felt that anxious, I would 'bite the bullet' and call the police.  At least the way you'll know.  Once you know, then you'll have peace of mind.  I would still be very hesitant at getting too much more involved with sister and hubby.  I know you're worried about contacting them, but what's worse, worrying about not knowing, or worrying about knowing.  I can't tell you what to do, all I can do is tell you what I'd do.  You need closure on this so you can get on with your life.  Put yourself out of your misery and call them. 

pipsy
Community Member
Hi, further to what I just said.  If you were in trouble over this incident, the police would've been to see you by now.  They don't let the grass grow under their feet.  I think I would actually be inclined to believe BIL, but just to settle my nerves, I would ask them.  They would've just come to caution you against 'buying' into sister's situation by now. 

MisterM
Community Member
Thanks a lot for your help pipsy.
I just fear I might make it worse by asking the police.

MisterM
Community Member

Hi pipsy,

I had to go to the Police Station to get some documents certified for uni so I bit the bullet and asked.
The constable was friendly and assured me all is good.
Thanks for your support and sorry that I was a pain.

pipsy
Community Member

Hi.  I really don't think there's any need to fear.  As I said earlier, if the police were involved, they would've come to see you before.  I think your best bet, really, is to concentrate on your future.  Get this thing with your prospective job sorted.  That's your most important mission now, leave sister and BIL to sort their own problems out.  Once you've been cleared by the police with your job, you'll feel more positive about your future.  You know you've never been in trouble, so there's nothing to fear, except fear itself. 

Best of luck with your future.

pipsy
Community Member

Hi.  I'm so pleased you finally went and saw the police and straightened everything out.  You were never a pain, you needed reassurance which I did my best to give.  I'm just sorry you had to go through all the misery.  As I said before, all the best for your future.  It was understandable you were nervous, not knowing what was going on. 

Take care and if you need any further help, I'm here. 

MisterM
Community Member
Thank you so much pipsy, I really appreciate it 🙂