FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dad

Jackson1994
Community Member

Anyone who knows a bit about me on here may know that my dad isn't the nicest guy in the world and we have minimal contact after he left when I was pretty young

Im making this post because he has been contacting me, he sent me a message not long after midnight saying happy new year, although I appreciated them I got a few so just ignored them all, generally people just send them to their whole contact list

He messaged me again 1:05am, have a good year maybe this year things will work out for you

I replied, they did this year but thanks dad

By 2am I'd gotten a page long I'm sorry for not being there message let's go for a drink tomorrow night we can make things good

I didn't reply I was with my partner and I wasn't ruining both our Nye getting worked up over it

Now I'm upset, I see him I risk him upsetting me, I don't see him I risk him hating me and mum even more

42 Replies 42

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

It's pretty awesome when someone cares about their partner's kids like their own. If the biological parent is still in the picture and the relationship is good then i can understand the step parent taking a back seat but if the biological parent is not then it's great to offer love, care and support to those children.

We need to focus on what we do have rather than what we do not have.

Jackson1994
Community Member
Yep especially because he has his own kids, but now we're just one big family

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Exactly! You missed out on having your 'real' dad around but you gained so much in your stepdad and your step siblings who adore you.

when I'm hurting or upset about being hurt and things that didn't work out I try and remember to look at the positives in my life, at what I DO have to be thankful for.

some things aren't meant to be, for whatever reason. Take the good things in your life and run with them.