FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Poor concentration due to PTSD

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I like to think that for the most, i have recovered from PTSD, well as much as you can recover from it (just my beliefs) but my concentration is still very very ordinary.

Has anyone experienced this? How do you improve your concentration? I know Dr Google will have some answers but I would prefer to hear from people who have lived it.

I think a bit has to do how much mental energy it takes to keep yourself grounded and the lower amount of mental energy the harder it is to concentrate but even when i feel pretty energised, i still can't concentrate much.

Be interested to hear other peoples ideas on this.

Cheers

Mark.

47 Replies 47

HelenR
Community Member

MarkJT's

re: your concentration. Don't give up, mate! Never settle for what you have at the moment because the moment is in constant change. Where the moment/future goes is up to you. You've achieved a lot by working at it. You've improved a lot. There's no reason why things won't get better. Keep believing, keep trying and you'll get better. It's a matter of coming up with strategies and riding the roller coasters.

I also have my mob full of reminders, appointments, etc. but there are things that I need to keep in mind like have to hang the laundry before going out, or the constant 'what was I going to do?' short things like, "Oh! I was going to wash my face or I was going to make myself a toast". Silly things like that.

I've started to think that I need to dictate to the notepad in my mob a list of to dos. The problem is that I some times forget that I've a reminder/to do list in my notepad in the mob. So, the reminders in the calendar are the best so far.

Another strategy I'm starting to try is when someone talks to me at home (not work yet because home is a safer place to start) I'm going to put all my concentration on listening and create images of what the person is saying as the person talks. It'll be pretty intense at first and I know it won't always work. Today I tried for the first time and it was a very rewarding experience for the person who was talking to me. I saw the face light up and a smile at the end. I felt good because I didn't frustrate that person this time and I was able to interact like "normal" people do. I'm a strong believer that practice makes perfect (or makes things easier) and with practice it'll become less hard and less tiring (I hope).

We need to keep going. We've only one life and we don't really know what's in the other side. So, we might as well make the most of this life. And now to break/cut some links/connections between my past and my present 🙂

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Helen, a couple of brilliant posts by you. Certainly the diet has a massive impact on how we are. I know if i am feeling crap, I will look back and see what i have eaten and pretty much most of the time, I have let it drop. Just by making a few small adjustments, I have eliminated a fair amount of sugar which is awesome. Currently working on why i am so fatigued at early evening. More so than what i should be. Only got a couple of hurdles to go before i am comfortable with where i am at and then it becomes a maintenance period.

I take your point on not giving up and trying to recover more but for me it is a safety barrier where I can "bank" what i have already got and then go out and earn more confidence, self worth, concentration etc and then when I "level up", bank that and start again.

I have found my journey to be so fascinating and continues to be. I don't get frustrated with it, just intrigued as to why i have stagnated in certain areas. Trying to unlock the keys to further recovery!!

I think of the forums are like a "pay it forward" type scenario. By writing what we have, you have gained something out of it, now you have wrote some posts which others will get something out of it and so on. A really cool chain of advice and lived experience to help others out. Love it!

Mark.

FrankA
Community Member

Hi MarkJT and all,

I am very new to the forum and this post really got me thinking. I have, for as long as I can remember, had trouble concentrating. I thought it was just genetic. I fade out in conversations and meetings and I have practiced very hard to 'stay in the moment'. Helen discussed using pen and paper. This is one of my key strategies.

Unfortunately, my recent encephalitis has worsened my concentration. I would love to return to study but I have to be realistic about my recovery.

Also, the relationship between diet and the body's function are not exclusive. I experience the jitters from coffee, the highs and lows from too much sugar and the good health experienced from clean eating. It can be hard to maintain though.

Great topic. Absolutely enjoy the discussion. Franka

Hey Frank-kaaayyyyy...wave your hands in the air like you just don't care!!!!

(Sorry, that was a giggle fart moment...as soon as I read your name, the words to a stupid hip hop song came to mind.) Speaking of not being 'with it'!

So welcome fellow traveller. You write like you're old hat at this stuff...nice. No matter how many posts or how long we've been here, we learn; that's the greatness of this site.

Can I just mention your 'fading out in conversations' comment? This used to happen to me all the time, for yrs in fact. I started looking at the times it occurred and found thru trial and error, I was personally challenged by some content of the conversation.

When it happened again, I forced myself to listen more intently to hear what could be the trigger. I soon learned more about myself and how to use this trigger to identify what scared me or made me zone out, and worked on it. These days it doesn't happen so often, but if it does, I use it to my advantage.

That's the thing about recovering from PTSD, it's about the trauma obviously, but it's more-so about our responses to that trauma. If we can change the way we approach our own responses instead of those or situations around us, we become mindful with 'intent'...living with purpose and owning that moment.

Great to see you on board!

Cheers...Sara

Welcome HelenR...as a newbie you also write with oomph! Kudos!

There are so many correlations with each of us and what affects our bodies, hearts and minds. We all have the same physiology, symptomology and will to survive. What individualises us, is our trauma/s, history, knowledge and level of courage.

What I love though, is that due to our individualised stuff, we can offer so much to others. If we were to put all our knowledge, experiences and skills/attributes together, we'd be one mighty super hero!

Like Frank, you can express yourself to inform as well as talk about your woes or frustrations. There's a knack to this; not all possess the ability.

The whole sugar thing has gained much attention from me also. I include flour on this list, though like sugar, taking it out of my diet has been a trial. In my case, food has been my go-to emotional staple since very young.

I saw a Food Therapist once who told me it isn't about the food, it's my 'behaviour' around food...addiction 101.

Simple carbs are a 'quick hit' of feel good chemicals to avoid bad feelings...for me it's helplessness.

Anyway, it's great to have you on board...keep up the good work...I'm listening.

Mighty Mark!

What a valuable thread! I'm going now to refer this link to other sufferers. Keep up the great work my friend!

Sara xoxo

HelenR
Community Member

Hi MarkTJ

The beauty of these forums is that you get to discuss PTSD issues with people with experience and wisdom at managing and getting better at this and that I can talk without fears.

I really like what you said about banking what you've got and then go out and get more confidence, self worth and then when you level up .... that's a positive approach to recovery. It's good for the self because it helps enjoy and digest your achievements. Such in time builds self confidence. I need to work at it. There's so much to work at that I may go back and see a psychologist to get more guidance. Hopefully this time I get a better professional.... or my attitude will be more receptive to treatment? That's another insight I just came out with.

thanks guys

HelenR
Community Member

Ditto Sara! and thanks for the welcome message 🙂

Totally agree with you. There's so much knowledge, wisdom and compassion in these blogs that is amazing the amount of stuff we can get from this and together through sharing our experiences we, or I, can manage it rather than it managing me.

I know psychologists are important but some of us may not have been lucky/ready? to find one we can trust and/or that we can tell all the things we feel.

In my case, I've been battling this all my life but have not known what 'this' is.

I'd treatment for depression and anxiety more than once. I think it's because I never gave an account of all my symptoms. I never thought to say, I can't concentrate or I keep drifting off conversations. My lack of memory I thought was the result of me being stupid. I've very little self confidence and people keep saying I need to grow resilience. I'm so terrified of things that shouldn't make me afraid, normal life and can go on forever

I never said this to anybody and then I've read similar symptoms here. My first psychiatrist said depression. Since then on I believed I suffer from depression but it did not explain all the symptoms. As a result, no therapy has worked and it has been tough. Nothing to deal with the real symptoms. No strategy and the sense of worthlessness has been growing incrementally.

But, there's light at the end of the tunnel! I've found it here. Now I need to find another psychologist because it's quite a lot to work with. My GP will be happy to hear this as she's been trying to get me to see one and I've been saying no.

to all of you xxx

FrankA
Community Member

Hey Sara and Helen,

Sara, thanks for the upbeat welcome!

I read your reply a couple of hours ago and have been reflecting on my concentration levels. Helen mentioned 'I thought was the result of me being stupid'. Wow... and here I thought it was just me!

As humans, our adaptability is phenomenal. When we are faced with situations that challenge us, we find ways around it. When I am studying, I find reading hard. But I have taught myself to skim to seek key words then label sticky notes so that I can reference easier. I just thought I was dumb, much of which was drummed into me during my time living with DV.

I also tend to paraphrase especially at work. This causes me to want to listen harder and when I notice the void, I pull myself back into the conversation. Again, I just thought I was not smart enough to understand the context. I have not been taught these strategies, they merely evolved as a survival instinct and I needed to save face!

So, given all that chat I just shared, I wonder how adaptable I will be in the coming months. Recovery is a challenge. I hope I can 'bank' my learnings to date. I am so scared I will lose them during this time. Communication requires concentration, regardless of the medium.

Happy learnings to us all. Franka.

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Gday Frank and a super welcome to the forums and the thread. It is awesome to have you here i can assure you of that. Just like what Sara said, to have yourself and Helen here as newbies is outstanding. So many people will learn so much out of what you have posted and that is pretty cool. Although mental health journeys are very hard to travel upon, I always think that if you can use your experience to help others then that is going to send of good positive joo joo your way.

You won't lose your learnings Frank, that is learned behaviour so what you need to do is to make sure that you practice them when required and even times when it isn't, still practice. i.e. deep controlled breathing. If you do that when you are calm, you will refine your techniques. You don't want to be practicing it when you are having anxiety attacks.

Recovery is difficult, there is no doubt about that but in recovery comes wisdom and knowledge. You can see what works and what doesn't work which is great as the times when you are in need of an action to calm you down or get you going or whatever emotion you are trying to overcome, you know what works.

I think a really important thing in recovery is that if you do go backwards for a day or two or a coping mechanisms are not working, well so be it. It is not a loss, it is not totally relapsing. Just ride the wave of emotion and it will dissipate at some stage. Easier said than done, absolutely, but really important to realise the learnings that you have banked so far. Even if you think there is not much in the bank, you do.

Great posting crew. Deluxe!

Mark.

Navy_Blue
Community Member
A'hoy there shipmate,I just had this thread recommended to me by Sara after mentioning my mental note to her- pants, then shoes - having read through the thread now I can comfortably say my dress sense would fit in well with this crowd!For me my life many years prior to my PTSD event I was an officer in the ADF,navigator and warfare officer on submarines, followed by working counter terrorism as an intelligence officer.Needless to say concentration levels were,um,essential.Today however,some 8 years after my PTSD event (which was only diagnosed a few months ago) I feel I have lost my purpose due partly due to lack of concentration.I can lay part blame to some of the meds I'm currently on but needless to say,the "lack" was still present prior to the meds.Which leads me to question why?Going from being able to track,calculate ranges & bearings of multiple targets through a periscope whilst remembering where we are on a chart in my head,only to find myself now at the point of-pants, then shoes...idiot.I make light & joke of the statement,but in reality my concentration levels are not far off having to have a sign with said statement on my walk-in-robe! Again,I question why?How can a human brain,capable of conducting extreme concentration-whilst under pressure-dissolve into something that struggles to remember why I opened the fridge, what my wife said to me we were doing today,what this thread is about...How can a traumatic event strip away the grey matter that was once such a strength of mine.I had the ability to concentrate on multiple situations & through clear clarity of thought make quick correct decisions.Now it comes down to: pants, then shoes, d'oh! - ahah - PTSD! I eat well,I practice mindfulness regularly,it is only lack of or broken sleep that makes me wonder if this is the reason. I suffer nightmares,I drift off & day dream a lot during the day & find I struggle with the most simple of things.I know this drives my wife crazy as the frustration I cause must be off the scale on the old pistoff-'o'-metre! Yet here I am confused as ever...I know I have added nothing more than slapstick humour to the thread & nothing useful-sorry Mark and crew.Or maybe I have helped someone finally realise why they can't work out why they can't seem to get their trousers on! Like the rest of you I wish their was a book called-PTSD for dummies.I for sure cannot work out who I am at the moment & I look forward further suggestions to solving this...what was I saying again