FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Poor concentration due to PTSD

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I like to think that for the most, i have recovered from PTSD, well as much as you can recover from it (just my beliefs) but my concentration is still very very ordinary.

Has anyone experienced this? How do you improve your concentration? I know Dr Google will have some answers but I would prefer to hear from people who have lived it.

I think a bit has to do how much mental energy it takes to keep yourself grounded and the lower amount of mental energy the harder it is to concentrate but even when i feel pretty energised, i still can't concentrate much.

Be interested to hear other peoples ideas on this.

Cheers

Mark.

47 Replies 47

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Navy Blue

As you may not post for a while I'd like you to know you have my great respect for the way you are dealing with a most difficult journey; and I offer my warmest wishes for the Christmas season to you, and your family.

While not wishing to place any obligation on you to post I look forward to hearing from you again whenever you might wish

Croix

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey NBM;

Your words of gratitude and appreciation never go astray, so thankyou. The past 24 hrs have seen me go thru my usual process of doubt and then recovery 101. I'm ok...

It's a testament to what guts and glory can achieve when PTSD hits...you have this to look forward to if you continue to work as hard as you have in the past months. You are courage and 'will' personified; the rewards are many. The most rewarding of all, is facing adversity head on and patiently overcoming with wisdom and self insight to live another day with pride and accomplishment.

I hope Xmas and the new year fills your home with warmth and joy my friend...

Dear Croix;

I'm so grateful for your words of support. They show you 'understand' and are a fellow sufferer and traveller in this daunting world of PTSD. I send my best wishes to you knowing you too have your down days. I'm here for you also...

Thankyou...

Sara xoxo

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

This goes to everyone...It is so super important to take time out if you are feeling a bit down or overworked. Being able to recognise that your brain is a bit overloaded is a very important skill to achieve. Anyone who has been through a mental health episode will agree that taking time away from these forums or helping someone else is okay as you cannot help anyone else if you are not right yourself.

It is easy to see throughout this thread, and many others for that matter, that the care for each other is paramount.

Accepting PTSD for me was easy, it was like a by-product of work but when it came to the depression and anxiety diagnoses, oh hell no was my thought and it took a long time before i truly looked at myself in the mirror and accepted it. It was a very enlightening moment when i did but i am still not comfortable with it. The point being that everyone is different on how they accept various diagnoses of mental health injuries and illnesses.

Personally I think that not accepting the diagnoses is not as bad as not being diagnosed. At least if you are diagnosed your clinicians can then set a path of recovery and you know what you are dealing with.

The mental health journey is such a long and complicated one but during this process, you will learn more about yourself that ever before. Your wisdom and knowledge increases greatly. Yes you have bad and really bad days but this develops your resilience and there comes a time when you can actively help people and have an impact on their lives and that, is one of the most, if not the most powerful thing you can do. You could have millions of dollars and donate to charities, which would be great but it is not that personal. What you are doing by posting and helping in here, wow, such power to behold. Just think, you have at some stage made someone who is living in hell, smile. Just take a moment to think how powerful that is.

Much respect to all of you. If my concentration is shot and memory is bad and i get to put a smile on your faces or help you through a bad day, well i will accept that.

Mark.

As has become the norm Mark, your words are GOLD!! It's a testament to your inner strength and spirit of giving. You truly are a Champion and I for one am a big Groupie!!

You're spreading the love...

(How annoying...I can't remember what I was going to write next..blah!)

This Xmas is going to be the best eva! Sharing it with people such as yourself; those who consistently contribute amazing posts, will be wonderful. And...giving smiles to those who cry out for help. How beautifully put Mark.

We may suffer the effects of memory loss and lack of concentration, but when we're in form, our greatness can't be compared!

Love and the Xmas Spirit to you all...

Sara xoxo

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for the words Sara, appreciate it.

A great xmas it will be and make 2017 the year of Sara (and everyone else in here!!)

HelenR
Community Member

Hello guys,

I'm sorry for dissapering on all of you. I went down...I went down again.. started so good. And the eating went down as well. It's so difficult even when I know what I need to do.

There's so much food for thought in this threat, It really made me realise so many issues I'm facing and need to fix. It also made me realise that I may be damaging my own children... most of all one of them who I suddenly realise reacts with too much fear. How could this be possible?! After experiencing so much domestic violence while being a young child, I swor not to ever touch my children or anybody and I don't do it but there seems to be psychological damage that results of the up and downs, extreme reactions and lack stability provided to my kids. They don't know whether mum will be ok or will she suddenly react with anger. Even my husband says it's scary the way I look when I get angry. It's like the extreme fear that can be seen when I'm at work or the extreme reaction of anxiety for no reason when I'm talking to people.

I feel like the carachter Hulk I can't totally control it all.

I really need to see a psychiatrists but I don't have time at the moment. I'm still in the middle of an assignment which is providing me with some extra cash for Xmas and it will have to wait.... wait and be patient.

Thank you all guys for your lovely thoughts and words in this threat and I hope you all have a lovely and successful New Year.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear HelenR

Making a child frightened must make you feel terrible, particularly as you have tried so hard to protect them, and it comes about as an unintentional by-product of your own feelings and reactions .

Is it at all possible to involve your children when you are in throes of a bad time. Not involve them a lot, but just a teeny bit for a moment so they don't feel powerless and can come to realize that your state is not caused in some weird fashion by them.

Perhaps laying groundwork beforehand along the lines of Mummy is looking that way because she's seeing something frightening from the past, just reach up , give her a stroke, tell her it will be ok, and then go do something else?

I very much sympathize having made my wife frighted in similar circumstances once.

Our journey is full of ups and downs, please don't feel disheartened due to a down, there will be lots more ups.

My best wishes

Croix

HelenR
Community Member

Hi all

Croix your advice is greatly appreciated I like in particular "Mummy is looking that way because she's seeing something frightening from the past" I haven't thought in saying that.

In my community I'm thought to be awkard but 'very gentle and nice' (over compensating? may be because even I feel umcomfortable sometimes). When the kids grew older and I started to push myself to enter the workforce, things became stressful and my symptoms increased and became more obvious. I noticed what was happening and explained to the kids what happened to me but did not go into details about the intensity. I have repeated several times that whatever my reactions to things were those reactions were not in line with whatever stilmuli at the time. Basically, if I overreacted at something they did, I said to them my reactions were in line to the events of my past not the result of their behaviour. We all normally hugh and have a little cry. They are very understanding but one of them, the sensitive one who's always been very shy and quite is the one who's sometimes showing signs of fear to things that shouldn't cause fear. My husband says its part of her personality but I think my overreactions must not be helping.

Such behaviour makes me think that, although she appears to be understanding, the message is not quite getting to her the way it should be (regardless of her personality). The words you mentioned 'mummy is seeing something frightening from the past' may just be what she needs.

And unfortunately it is so true that I'm constantly seeing the worst part of my past every where I go reflected in people who have nothing to do with it and in situations that never existed before.

I was practising at visualising an imaginary pair of big sisscors cutting the past from the present, repeating he's not such person, this is not .... since I started to read this thread. It help me a lot but I became overwhelmed when I realise the enormity of my symptoms... and I broke, fell and run to my 'hidding corner'. Like Mark says, sometimes we have to take time away from the forum, which I call retreat and have a break. The man is something else.

Sarah you look lovely in your new photo. I'm not brave to put one yet.

xx

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear HelenR

Before I say anything else please do not feel you have to post or keep up if you need respite. Just read or write when you feel the urge - or if you want something, we will be here with warmth.

I believe that by and large children are pretty robust when living in a loving environment - which you do provide. Also with more than one child you are bound to notice (and worry) about differences. Perhaps you husband is right, perhaps not. Some children are indeed more sensitive.

While I'm please you thought my wording of an explanation to your daughter was something to think about I still believe getting your daughter to have an action she can take, letting her feel she has measure of control and not feel that 'things just happen', may help her - and just as importantly you. If she can feel by her action SHE is helping Mummy she may feel differently. If you think she is old enough why not ask her in simple terms and suggest to her it would be a help to you, then see what she says.

If you don't think I'm on the right track that's fine, I was a pretty ordinary parent even prior to my mental injury:) - My grown up son vigorously nods his head when I say this - I hope one day it does not fall off.

Please do not let the journey ahead daunt or overwhelm you. Your love, intelligence and family will all assist you triumph as will professional help. Your steps are following a well worn path many have already trodden (myself included) , and they have improved beyond sight (me too).

If I remember correctly there has been more than one version of the Hulk over the years, with the earlier version being quite benign even when not in complete control. Hiding corners are necessary too.

My best wishes,

Croix

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HelenR, when i was trying to explain to my kids my anger outbursts, one of the ways i did it was that i asked them if they could think of the worst nightmare that they have had. I then asked them that they know the nightmare is not real, it is only their brains making a story up. They agreed. I then told them that my nightmares were real.

I explained that something happened to me that has stuck with me and i have to deal with the nightmare. It will take a long to forget about it (we will never forget about it but it is easier for the kids to understand) and that if i get really angry, for the most part i do not mean it.

One avenue to try and get them to understand.