FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Introducing mmMekitty

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am mmMekitty, named for my cat, (my avatar), who lived 7 years. It has been five or so years since, but I still miss her. Mekitty an I had a simpler relationship than any I have had with people.

The photo is the one I to retrieved after my hard drive crashed. She had wandered off, was away for six days, when she turned up again in the middle of the night. I cried with relief. This was the photo I used for her Lost Cat poster I put up around the neighbourhood at the time.

As for me, I cannot see the detail of the photo nearly as well as I did then, and then my sight was poor. I am now using text-to-speech software, zooming on my pc, voice over. Since I find this stuff difficult, I get really frustrated.

I used to keep all my emotions in check, so much so, I thought and said I did not have any feelings or reactions to anything. That changed and I could not deny the existence of my emotions. It was a terrifying time. What was happening to me? I was falling apart and all this unidentifiable stuff was pouring out.

I have had to learn so much since I began seeing the Psychiatrist I saw back then (1993 - 95). From learning I had to put words to the experiences, name, own, accept them. Still uncomfortable. I beat up on myself too much, I know.

I used to do things I can no longer do to my own satisfaction. I still sing, but not like I used to. I cannot paint like I did. I cannot use pen and paper to write, so have managed to adapt to keyboard. That is something. I have been working on being more sociable, less isolated, but last year, when COVID-19 retrictions required face masks be worn, I found I could not - which is what brings me here.

I have had to curtail so much of what I had been doing. I am feeling the isolation now. How ironic! I resisted even thinking I needed anybody, then I try to have some friends, join a writers' group, get help with things like housework and shopping, going to places for fun and entertainment, only to have to withdraw again because I cannot wear a mask. It bites, like a scorpion.

I will make a thread, now I found the place to click to create one! I think my problem was with how I have my desktop appearance. It looks like any ordinary link, hiding below another, for creating a feed link. Now I know.

I suppose I will get around to talking more about myself. I will need to be careful about how involved I become, so please, don't expect me to pop up everywhere. I would burn out if I did that.

(Purring) mmMekitty

783 Replies 783

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mmMekitty -with a wave to MumChris~

If you need a truly memorable (now that can be read either way) band you need look no further than DB and Grandy. Every time I go away they trash my igloo on my iceberg and hold wild parties. They seem to have a selection of musical icons.

When I return I find semi-inebriated kiwis with hangovers sipping black coffee though their long beaks behind piles of cans and bottles.

As for the song, it was maybe "Bellhop Boogie" which if I remember is a favorite to a tap with.

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oh, I'm finally back. I had to go to Croix's igloo. 😸,

🎤"Eh-em, Good evening & tonight, I am proud to introduce a brand new band directly from the bright lights of the Aurora Australis, put your hand together for Wake Up The WALRUS!"

""It's rather surprising to be here, & I hope you'll be surprised if we're actually good at this late hour. Oh, well, on 4: 1, 2, 3 &" 🥁DB, 🎵 🎷Summer Rose ,🎺Smallwolf, 🎸Jo & LD, 🪕Quirkywords, 🎻Grandy, 🥥Harpbird, & mmMekitty, 🎹app on 📱.

& the Slippery Singers:🐧Hanna, 🐧Added, 🐧Matchy, 🐧Paws &🐧On the Road. )oops)😼

I'm only sorry I could not round up more.😾

The song Ain't Life a Brook is a good song, so sad up until the end. But that's not the song I'm trying to remember. The one I am thinking has the lyric as I wrote it, repeated several times , especially at the end, during the fade out. It was a country / country & western song, from my father's youth, I suppose. At my age, it might even be 100 years old, because the performers would have been adults when it would have been first recorded! Now that's a creepy thought...(quaking kitty emoji)

Night Mum Chris & all, & hope you are comfortable & manage some sleep.

mmMekitty

you are a gentle soul mmMekitty

my kind thoughts

Paul

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey there Paul, 😺 I'm glad you are not here to complain about the music. 😸Or maybe you got a kazoo you want to play? That' would be just about excellent right about now!

we'll just tuck it down here in your beard, & no one will figure out what the 'duck call' noise is, eh? 😼

You know, with Sophie_M looking after us, I do have to behave myself, more than I usually would, so try not to talk me up too much. Or is this your way of helping me 'get used to it' so I don't get so embarrassed when folks are complimenting me or .praising me, or admiring me, or on & on...?

⌨ gotta get back to my 📱app! Something quiet now, I think.

mmMekitty

'Winter in America' by Doug Ashdown ✔✔✔✔✔

It doesnt get any better

Hugz

Paul

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Moody song, in the right mood could give one the shivers from head down the spine. 😸

River by Joni Mitchell

Caramel by Suzanne Vega

Bells For Her by Tori Amos

Killing Me Softly By Roberta Flack

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

Tapestry by Carol King

Somewhere Out Walking by Patsy Cline or Grace Knight

Georgia by Ray Charles

Yesterday by The Beatles

Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce

April by Simon & Garfunkel

I'm sure there's lots more I might add to this list, but I think that'll do for now.

mmMekitty

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

How am I supposed to get much needed sleep with you lot caterwauling! You are a troublemaker mmMekitty!

Incidentally the artist that drew my portrait also drew yours -the Cheshire Cat, that's the one with the big grin.

Croix (grumble grumble grumble ...)

P.S. A fine collection of emoji, I know where to come now when I need one.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Awm Croix, the songs on the above list are not 'catawailing' songs. Look them up, wherever you usually find music, & listen for yourself.

Oh, & we have a very special guest singer, from a relatively nearby space, to sing the Andy Williams classic, 'Moon River', please, welcome ,Moonstruck!🎙

Yes, okay, when I am ready for a blue rinse, I will go pink!

About emojis, there are emojis on my iPhone, but which not on my PC. I tried sending them to myself, because I have my PC & iPhone synched. Didn't work as well as I hoped. Some did not turn up as useful emojis. A few did work, though. & I'll hang onto those so I won't have to go looking for them in other's posts, & copying them into mine.

I really would still like more of some, but not so much of others. I'd even like to recolour some. Like the butterfly, & a couple of the flowers. & the cats, to be red, of-course! Mostly, I want a Walrus!

mmMekitty

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mmMekitty~

The only way I know to represent a walrus on a PC is

(:3=

Which of course is lying down:)

Actually I've no complaints abut your selection of songs at all, perhaps Yesterday might be my favorite out of those.

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday

While you ate talking Simon & Garfunkel why not add Mrs Robinson and Sounds of Silence

It's the concept of you, DB, Grandy and all trying to sing at once that's a tad terrifying.

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey, Croix, & people reading, I ought to have said before:

A note of warning, if you go looking for songs I've listed, some of what you find may be triggering. Some people write lyrics which are very direct.

I was imagining , all the instruments as well, & that some (according to their avatars) are other than human. Do we have diversity or what! barking, & howling, ribbiting & g'lumphing, my meowing/purring, & the Blonde Guy with the kazoo in his beard,& whatever it it a Walrus does...maybe something with clams?
Maybe Mum Chris has an accordion under the bed? I couldn't see one when I looked, but you never know around here.

I wanted a saw player & a gum leaf player, but they were not available.

You know what you could be good at? xylophone, vibraphone, marimba, glockenspiel, toy piano? Using your tusks.

Oh, I want a really big band!

I want someone with a didgeridoo, others with clap sticks, someone with an oud, bass clarinet, double bass, Koto, obo, flute, bongos, pan pipes, tubular bells & the Theremin, Vulcan Harp , & why not, while we're getting to be a size enough to call ourselves an orchestra, we could have gamelan players.

There are simply too many ... I am not sure BB has enough member for each to have their own unique instrument.

Our name is now:

The Wake Up the Sleeping Walrus Orchestra Plus, [WUSWOP]

I chose 'April' because of a dim memory of hearing the song & being drawn to it. Of-course, Sound of Silence would fit perfectly well, as would Scarborough Fair/Canticle, & others.

I was primarily trying to think of some quiet songs, not really about their lyrics, some got in for their lyrics, because they mean a lot to me. Some didn't get included because I think I'd have to include a trigger warning in case some people who, curious, were to look them up, & be triggered.

I ought to also include 'Up On the Roof', written by Gerry Goffin & Carole King, performed by Carole King ,James Taylor (& many more). I like both these recordings best.

I also like Leonard Cohen's own version of 'Halleluiah' & K. D. Lang's I saw on You Tube one day. They get a bit loud for this late night/early morning list, though.

If I don't get distracted, I could come up with many more. & then start on the louder list, or the list of particularly personally significant songs, some are my 'angry' songs, I'd get into when I was angry & couldn't express it. OI don't usually like loud songs...but when I am angry, (when I could sing):😺

mmMekitty