FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Animal cruelty, climate change, monoculture...the list goes on.

ChrissyStar
Community Member
I feel hopeless and have decided not to have children because of the state of the world (why would I wish to bring a child into this when I myself, do not like to live here?). Does anyone else feel the same?
230 Replies 230

Dear Pepper, Chrissystar and all 😊

Chrissystar thanks so much for starting this thread. I'm totally camped out here, it feels like my home 😊

Pepper, yes, i think you understand my heart. There was a period of time that others here may relate to, where, if I woke in the middle of the night, I would start crying because here I was in my warm bed, comfortable, and I knew that evil things were being perpetrated, particularly on animals, at that very moment, and there was zero effect I could have.

Unfortunately, I often wonder if the answer to my problems and the world's problems lie at the bottom of my wine bottle. I never know for sure, but most times I think it's worth at least checking 😉 very bad habit, but often I feel so hopeless and lose the plot just a lil a bit.

Now: Here is a quote for us all here today, from Vegan Of Old, Mahatma Gandhi:

In a gentle way you can shake the world.

🌻birdy

Hi Chrissystar and all,

Chrissystar: I hope you’re doing okay and that your adoption research has been helpful as I know you were looking into adoption before. Also, please feel free to chime in at any point as this is your thread 🙂 No pressure but we’re here if you want to chat or would like support.

🌻Birdy: you sound so sad. I know you’ve been through a lot lately. A lot of loss on top of everything else. I feel for you, our beautiful friend...

I feel you’re one of those people who carries the weight of the world in her eyes and heart. Compassion can be such a double edged sword...you obviously feel very deeply for animals, the environment and others, and that compassion can break your own heart sometimes.

It’s okay, I know how it is with alcohol as I turn to it too. Sighs. I’m saying that I understand...

A heartfelt thank you, that’s a gorgeous quote. To me, that quote rings true of your life’s work and mission.

Pepper xoxo

Hello Chrissystar, Pepper and everyone here 😊

Chrissystar I hope you are doing well and enjoying growing things and finding some awesome vegan recipes to tantalize your tastebuds!

If anyone here is interested in cutting down on animal ingredients, I have found it helpful to subscribe to a few blogs that send out recipes regularly, they can be really inspiring, e.g.. one is by Sam Turnbull I think it's called "it doesn't taste like chicken" and another called Keepin' It Kind ... can be a good source of inspo for yumny food, another is "hot for food".

Pepper Thank you for your always lovely words and encouragement and support. I thought I glimpsed the answer to a few problems at the bottom of the bottle again last night ... yeah,nah I was mistaken. Again! You're right, I am pretty darn sad, I think you are too at the moment, my friend. I'd love to be able to give you a big hug. Anyway, it's nice to know we're not alone. You can always talk to me. xoxo

This is kinda off-topic and kinda on-topic, but I just felt like sharing this here for some reason, hope that's ok Chrissystar. So, I was emptying the dishwasher yesterday morning, and I had left the dishwasher door ajar for 10 minutes prior to taking the dishes out. In that time, a little mouse had climbed in and be ran underneath the bottom drawer of dishes ... I screamed because he scared the heck out of me. But after I calmed down, I got the torch and looked inside, he was (oh my gosh, so cute and tiny) sitting in the back corner of the dishwasher, trembling. I started crying, trying to send him the vibes that I won't hurt you little guy, but he was so frightened!! I've never seen a little mouse trembling in fear, it broke my heart!! And now I have a problem because I couldn't catch him and he is now under the dishwasher behind the cabinetry. I just want him to go outside and have a lovely time. Can't be much fun under there?

❤ Have a peaceful and lovely day everybody ❤

Love and light to all

🌻birdy

Hi Chrissystar and all,

Chrissystar: hope you’re doing okay. No pressure to respond if you’re not feeling up to it but just know, we are thinking of you 🙂

🌻 Birdy: It’s a great idea for you to share those tips. I feel some people reading might take it on board 🙂

Oh thank you, that was beautiful. Sending you a hug too...

Sighs, I know all about drinking to cope. I think I’ve said before about how some public personality once said she drank because it made her pain temporarily go away except then she would feel worse afterwards as alcohol is a depressant at the end of the day. Yet many of us (including me) still do it. Sometimes some of us we will resort to anything that might temporarily mask the sadness and pain...

Oh poor little mouse. I suppose it’s fair to say you were both frightened at some point. He sounds like he must have been absolutely terrified, and you being your compassionate self must have absolutely ached for him. Hopefully he ventures out from under the dishwasher and you can help him go outside.

Sending you and your lovely partner well wishes today 🙂

Love,

Pepper xoxo

Hi Chrissystar, Pepper and all,

Chrissystar, I found a 4kg sweet potato hiding in the veg patch a few days ago ... whoopsadaisy, that one got away from me a bit! Hope you are doing well with your veg/fruit/herb growing.

Pepper, thank you for your very kind and understanding words, the story of mousy was probably totally off topic, but what struck me was his absolute vulnerability ... this little creature, living his little life (annoyingly in my kitchen), then all of a sudden he is at my mercy and it made me think of all the animals that must tremble in fear when their lives are taken ... the trembling of this little tiny creature ... It just made me think of all the sentient beings in fear at the mercy if human hands every minute of every day .... It was very confronting, as odd as that sounds.

Have you been reading your book? I haven't got my hands on it yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Re: the wine ... I keep wanting to numb the pain in my mind/heart with alcohol, but the next day I am like: please take better care of yourself (to myself) ... if you keep doing this to your body, what good can you do in the world? But the cycle continues ... ah man, I dont know. Life just hurts sometimes doesn't it? Don't know if you can relate to that ...

Sending you love and light this evening ❤

Everyone here: ❤ keep the love alive, the compassion, the kindness. It will make the world a better place.

🌻birdy

Hi Chrissystar, Birdy and all;

Chrissystar: Sending kind thoughts to you 🙂

🌻 Birdy: I get what you’re saying. Us humans often hold the power when it comes to the fate of animals, both small and large alike. As tiny as your little dishwasher mouse or as large as an elephant. Us humans are often the biggest threat to so many animals...

I started reading it but I haven’t finished yet. It’s quite interesting and it’s an easy read...

I can empathise with the alcohol. Yes, I completely agree that sometimes life just hurts.

Although admittedly I’ve somehow gone completely emotionally numb since about 10 or 11pm last night (give or take), which is fabulous as far as I’m concerned. If I could spend the rest of my life feeling as “comfortably numb” as now then I would be pretty content.

Usually I have to drink to achieve this numb state but none required this time; my mind/heart have just emotionally shut down if its own accord. At the moment, I’m still pretty numb...not complaining though. I’m quite happy in my cocoon of comfortable indifference.

love and light as you like to say

Pepper xoxo

Hi Pepper,

Maybe your subconscious is giving you a rest from the emotional turmoil ... maybe your mind and heart needs a break from feeling so intensely, and is letting you off the hook for a bit so that you will be ready and rested for when the emotions return. I think I understand it, I think that happens on occasion to me as well.

Just go with it, enjoy the calm tranquility ... ride this part for what it is xo

Wishing you and everyone here a day of peace.

🌻birdy

Hi Chrissystar (and all), sending kind thoughts your way 🙂

Thank you lovely 🌻Birdy, yes, it’s a nice little emotional “break.” How are you doing, my friend?

Pepper xoxo

Pepper, I hope you have a lovely "holiday", i imagine you in a bubble of sunshine having cocktails on the sand with waves gently lapping at your feet ... the emotional storm rages outside the bubble, but you are just relaxing in there for now. 🍸🍹 Enjoy!

I am feeling pretty crapola just at the moment. I guess I am just going with it ... accepting it for what it is, but trying here and there to lift myself out of it, even momentarily. I won't go on about me, but thank you for asking me Pepper❤, and I will try to bring this back on topic, Chrissystar!! ...

The weekend (mother's day) was excruciating ... for us it revolved around a bunch of people who have zero awareness of any of the stuff we talk about here, (eg, on this thread and others) and zero care factor of anything besides themselves, or that brings them convenience or comfort, no awareness or self-awareness ... blurgh, I don't know. A further drain on my faith in humanity - and these are the people bringing more and more people into the world! By the way if anyone is interested in a good read on self-awareness, i read a great piece yesterday by Mark Manson, called "Why you suck at self awareness". It's a quick read, and you may laugh out loud a few times, I did. If you read it, the people i am talking about are totally on Level One (maybe even below).

Sorry to be sounding so negative everybody, I just am feeling very weighed down for some reason.

I will come back and i promise my next post will be more positive.

Peace to everyone ❤

🌻birdy

Hi Chrissystar, birdy and all,

🌻 birdy: Thanks, somehow this cocktail island you speak of sounds much better than my current reality. Lol.

A warm hug from me. I must admit that I’m not surprised you’re struggling as I know a little about some of your recent losses plus maybe there’s other stuff going on. Don’t worry, I’m not prying. Share only what you wish too ❤️

Mhmm...this “Why you suck at self awareness” sounds intriguing. I must look it up!

Yes, I agree it can feel very frustrating and disheartening at times. But I feel this is slowly (as in snail’s pace) changing.

On another note, I do worry about how a lot of it is “greenwashing” where some otherwise (very) wasteful corporations suddenly introduce a “sustainable” line to look like they care about the environment. But upon closer inspection, you realise they have really done absolutely nothing much to help the environment and it’s a PR tactic.

It’s not all bad, I suppose. You do see more new businesses popping up that do genuinely have more of an environmental conscience. I think it’s a reflection of the times as well as growing consumer demand where more people care about supporting businesses with sustainable practices.

That being said, there is still a long way to go.

Oh, I’m vegetarian btw (have been for a few years); I’ve never quite made the transition to vegan. Maybe in good time....

Pepper xoxo