FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not coping very well.

ssuchislife
Community Member

it’s been 7 years since my mum passed away. It would’ve have been her birthday in 7 days time and it’s just another reminder of how much I’ll never hear her laugh again. I miss her so so deeply. I know everybody says that their mother is/was their best friend, but mine truly was 😔 😔 I’m 31 now, it’s hard for me to even try and swallow the thought of becoming a mother myself ever without her here to guide me or share in the joy with me if/when that day comes. I’m not coping very well at the moment, and I’ve never said that out loud, and I honestly don’t remember the last time I was sober since finding her passed away. 

1 Reply 1

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ssuchislife,

Thank you for your strength in posting your story on our forums, welcome. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking to lose a loved one, particularly somebody who has meant so much, it sounds like she has been a true blessing in your life. 

Everybody copes with grief in their own way and at their own pace. I remember when my grandpa passed several years ago, listening to music that encapsulated what I was feeling helped me so much. Music is such a powerful tool, and there's something so immersive about stumbling across lyrics or a certain melody that really resonates with us.

There's no shame in opening up to or sharing in your grief with other loved ones or your GP, a therapist, or psychologist. Sometimes it can be refreshing to talk about our grief with others, particularly people who may be able to offer us professional advice or words of comfort. 

Take care of yourself during this time and do whatever you feel is necessary for your grieving journey. Sending my best wishes to you and your family.

SB