FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cancer stole my Father

Ruby_22
Community Member

hi, 

my name is Ruby, i’m 18 years of age. i also have younger siblings. 

my father has had his brain tumour removed twice, down chemo, radiation, even a targeted drug trial. but nothing had worked and we are about to lose him to this horrible disease. 

i want to support my mum + siblings as much as i can through this. but i feel like i’m drowning in my own thoughts trying to stay afloat. 

does anyone have any methods to dealing with grief? how will it affect my long term relationship? 

i have always delt with it by trying to act normal, but i feel i won’t be able to hold it all down after he is gone. 

he can’t walk, talk, eat, think. 

this has been going on for months. 

i just need some support and guidance. 

thank you, and the best of luck with whatever your dealing with. 

remember that time can only heal, life must go on ❤️

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey Ruby,

Welcome to the Forums. Thank you for sharing your story here. We're sorry to hear you're dealing with the grief of seeing your dad so unwell and knowing your going to lose him. That's incredibly hard, and it can also be really hard wanting to support those around you while going through grief yourself. We hope that you are giving yourself the kindness and support that you give to those around you. 

Hopefully, we'll hear from the community soon. In the meantime, it could also be worth reaching out to Griefline on 1300 845 745 (available 8am to 8pm AEST Monday-Friday), they might be able to suggest some other options, and also give you the space to talk it through one-to-one with a counsellor. Our Support Service is also here for you 24/7, as well, on 1300 22 4636 or online

It takes so much bravery and strength to share here, so thank you. It's a warm and kind community, and a good place to hear from others who might have some reflections on grief and loss from thier own live. We're sure there'll be some understanding and kind words once someone spots your post.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Ruby,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums,

My heart hurts for you sweet Ruby, I lost my husband 9 years ago to cancer it’s a horrid illness…I nursed my husband through it all and thought I would be okay because I was preparing myself for his passing…but no amount of preparing oneself eases the heartbreak of a loved on leaving this earth….

Please, just be there for each other, if you need to cry, don’t hold back those tears, they are tears of love for your precious father….Time does heal, yes and the love you hold for your father will always be with you….you’ll carry it forever in your heart and soul….Staying strong for each other is really beautiful, loving and caring, because you do need each other’s support, love and strength, but also lovely Ruby, you need to care for yourself as well….Would you be open to reaching out to your Dr, talking openly about how much your struggling to deal with this…your Dr might be able to set you up with a mental health care plan…with professional counsellors/psychologist etc.  to help you deal with all you’re going through….

Here for you Dear Ruby, thinking of you with my kindness and care…

Grandy..

Our beautiful Sophie has given you a really good suggestion of reaching out to Griefline and our counsellors here at BB….if you need to talk out your concerns, sadness or any other emotions your feeling right now..please don’t hesitate to reach out to them….