FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My antidepressants don't seem to be working for me anymore

Rique57
Community Member

Hi, my name is sophia, and im concerned because im on antidepressants now have veen for the past 10 years, 5 years ago i was feeling horribly depressed and my doctor increased my medication, So now im feeling so depressed again, what will happen, can my medication im on now be increased again or do i need to try another type of medication, I have had to cope through alot of stuff in the last couple of years, i was diagnosed with colon cancer 18 months ago, went through chemotherapy and radiotherapy had surgery to remove tumor, Lived with an ileostomy for 8 months, had that removed, lost my job of 7 years, went through fair work proceedings got paid out a minimal amount, Just didnt have the strength to appeal the decision, and let it go, I caught a cold and its turned into bronchitis that i cant seem to shake off, All these things i believe have contributed to me feeling depressed like this again, Especially the chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the treatment took every bit of strength, even after finishing treatment 18 months ago, I cant get back physical or mentally the way i was before my cancer diagnosis, what do i do, have my medication increased again or try a different type of medication,

2 Replies 2

Tess2
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Risque 57

you are dealing with a great deal. Chemo and radiotherapy will make you feel lousy and less able to cope, plus tired. You have managed a lot. You need to back to your GP or whoever prescribed your antidepressants, you may need an increase dose to get you through this period, or you may need a change. Your dr is best placed to advise you and also knows your medical history and current treatments.

Keep posting here for support and friendship. And take care of yourself. I think you are doing amazingly

tess 2

SR1
Community Member

Hi Sophia

Im sorry the meds don't seem to be working anymore. I'm assuming that means you're feeling really crappy.

Make an appointment to speak to your doctor about it as depending on what meds you're on they might not be able to increase the dosage. I think if it's possible to increase the dosage they might just do that as your system won't need to deal with being weaned off meds only to start a new one.

Good luck. Make the doc appointment asap so you can start feeling better soon.