FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am i real?

frankoceanisbae
Community Member

i hate the feeling of not feeling real.

im in year 11 and next year will be my last year of school and honeslty it terrifies me. i have no idea what i want to do or achieve when im "older" like why am i here? what is my purpose? and i feel like i cant be sad becuase i have so many things to be greatful for, but deep down i'm not happy. its so hard to explain this feeling like its not numbness but im not happy. i think its the mood swings from being happy when im with friends then sad and upset when im in my room and alone.

I dont want to ask my bestfriend for help becuase i know her life was so much tougher than mine and i dont want anyone feeling bad for me and saying sorry. my sister was diagnosed with depresssion ages ago and now is fine, so i feel like i cant ask for help becuase i dont want to end up like how my sister was.

i get these random episodes of dissassociation quite frequently and when i snap out of it i feel so fake, its like gettting deja vu, it freaks me out and really makes me think like wtf just happened and then i get this wave of dissassosiation and it repeats. a never ending cycle.

i just want to be happy and 'normal'

13 Replies 13

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi frankoceanisbae

Life sounds like such a torturous experience for you and my heart goes out to you as you try to make sense of it all. It's so incredibly tough when we're looking for answers that will begin to make all the difference for us and we just can't seem to find them.

I used to think I'd feel so happy and zen-like once I started to become a more conscious gal but with 'waking up' to the deeper more soulful questions in life I found the problem is it can involve a really disorientating 'Where am I? Who am I really? Why am I here?' factor. Some would describe this feeling of 'waking up' or becoming more conscious as 'the state between being asleep and being fully conscious' if that makes sense. It can become a surreal kind of experience for some.

While I'm now a 53yo gal, I can recall back when I was 35 and going through one hell of a time. It was when I first came out of long term depression and my brain did some seriously weird 'rewiring' thing. In the process there were days that felt mind blowing, where I felt 'one with the world', had massive amounts of energy and felt like I had all the answers to life or at least access to them and then there were days where my reality looked and felt depressing. The only way I can think to describe it is it felt like I was swinging back and forward between 2 different realities. I felt like I was going insane and I appeared to others that way too. It went on for about 6 weeks until I started to develop 'grounding' strategies and found a sense of balance that led me out of that period.

Wasn't until some years later that I came across an article that described perfectly how that period in my life felt. For the first time, I'd found a different way of looking at what the world of psychiatry would call 'psychotic episodes'. Of course, this is not everyone's cup of tea but simply a different or interesting way of looking at the '2 different realities' factor...Whatever people wish to call it (that which follows the dark night of the soul, spiritual awakening, spiritual emergency or whatever), I wish I'd known about it at the time, as there are a lot of tips for managing it from that perspective.

Whether what we experience at times is due to tricks or glitches of the brain or soulful kinds of experiences, who knows. What I do know though, from my own experience, it's the avenue of research we choose to go down that determines how we manage whatever it is we're facing. Sometimes I'll research how the mind works, sometimes how the body works and sometimes how some natural element of us work.

Around the age of 16 or so, is a seriously tough age. It's a stage where we may be triggered to begin seriously questioning who we really are, why we're here (what's our purpose) and the direction we most need to head in. It's a stage in life where the most guidance may be needed. Identifying the best guides is one of the many keys/skills we can begin collecting. 'A collector of keys/skills' is a positive identity.

David35
Community Member

I used to get this when I was normal, like an out of body experience where I feel vague. I think it's a hormonal thing. I also used to get it when I took sudafed for a cold, which I no longer use. It's nothing to be worried about, just a bit weird. Sometimes I felt like everything was on fast forward.

Don't try to work your whole life out. Just try and keep your options open. I'm 46 and still don't know what my purpose is.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sadness, boredom, melancholy, are all emotions that aren't necessarily to be shunned. We actually need these to offset the many stimulants of modern society in order to restore balance to our turbulent lifestyle and hopefully find our own 'normal'. The flipside to this is usually measured in the extremes of one to the other and there seems to be an imbalance in how you feel about yourself compared to the importance of being with your friends.
But with all this mental traffic going back and forth, it's not that surprising that sometimes things get jammed and we just need to detach and reset.
We are an adaptable species and will invariably design ourselves around the environment of the day - normal and real being more a state of flux than any fixed ideal.

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Frankoceanisbae,

My heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I welcome you to the forums. 

It's very common to feel how you're feeling at the end of high school, particularly the dissociation. It's a strange time, because it represents one of the more difficult transitions of our lifetime - ending our childhood and emerging into adulthood. There's no guide to how you're meant to be living the rest of your life, and your future is in your hands. It can be terrifying. I had no idea what I wanted to do beyond school, so I threw myself into a degree that I hoped I would like and it ended up being a good decision for me.

There's no harm in experimenting with what you want to do, even if it takes you a few goes to find a career or life path that you're happy with. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was to choose something that you like being good at, not just that you like, or are good at. Something that you excel in, but also enjoy. 

There's no pressure to find your purpose right now, or even in the next few years. That's something that many people will take an entire lifetime to find. Sometimes it comes to us quite naturally and quickly, and sometimes it doesn't, and that's okay.

I would encourage you, if you would feel comfortable, to reach out to your friend (or other friends if you'd like) about how you're feeling. You don't necessarily have to share all of what you're experiencing, but sharing your feelings may help you to relate and bond together. If you approach it from the angle of "do you also feel like this sometimes?" or "have you ever felt ____?", you may find the conversation to be more reassuring and therapeutic. Talking to people can be really, really helpful. Shared experiences and common ground are one way to do so.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to continue chatting with us. We're always willing to offer support.

All the best, SB

this made me sob, thank you.

thank you so much.

thank you, hopfeully it pasts.

Hi frankoceanisbae

I'm so sorry I never saw your reply 'til now. How are you feeling at this point in your life?

Hi thank you for the check up,

I'm still scared of a lot of things. growing up terrifies me. I'm going to be turning 18 in November and it truly makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry. I have no idea what i want to do/be. I have no guidance. all my "friends" already have ideas of university ect, but like i get told to go to school and i do it. it feels like i just want someone to tell me to do something with my life and i finally do it. i dont know whats wrong with me..