FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Everyone, please don't forget to ask any questions you want on these new forums.

Geoff.

Life Member.

WaterFront
Community Member

Hi Geoff (and those reading my post),

What a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience in this area. I've just discovered this BB Social Zone space and am so glad it's here because I want to talk but am tired of thinking and talking about my problems. 

As a way to recover, I have spent my spare time in the last two years house painting (my home, and when I'd finished that, the home of one of my daughters) and also putting flatpack furniture together (anyone who'll let me - lol) - I'm a whiz at lining up drawers and doors these days and a pretty skilled painter (If I may say so). My day job has no physical labour. I have found these activities very meditative and healing - I call them my Zen place - because when I do them my mind is just single focused with the task at hand and I don't think about anything else for hours at a time. They really calm my mind. I can recommend this to those inclined.

Here's my question. I have been thinking of building a deck (ground level) in my side garden for some time and have watched a lot of YouTube videos on the subject - They are too fast for me (I know I can pause) and to be honest don't make a lot of sense to me. I'm wondering if you could give me a 'Dummies Guide' or just some tips on how to start, materials needed, links (if that's allowed), general advice - anything really to get me started. Is this something I should outsource to a professional? I would like to give it a go though.

Thanks Geoff. I feel we are so fortunate to have you on BB in all the different zones. I'm looking forward to your reply.

WF

Hello WaterFront, great to hear from you and yes pottering around at home or elsewhere where ther is o pressure is always very relaxing.

Just a few questions before I start, is the ground level or on a slight hill,

-do you want the deck to be level with the lip of the entrance door or the actual floor in the room,

-what type of material do you want to use, treated pine or hardwood,

-I always use concrete stumps, they are there for ever and probably cheaper,

-are you going to paint it with a colour or stain it, as I usually stain/paint the sides and the underneath of the decking just for lasting much longer,

-is the decking going to be placed parallel with the house or otherwise,

make sure you buy ant protectors to place on top of the stumps, they are cheap but prevent so much damage later on, especially if there are any termites.

Just a few questions before we can start and sorry I didn't notice your comment because I have to type BB Home Improvement Thread in search bar, although I could probably find it in 'Your Discussions' , hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Hello WaterFront, just wondering whether you have built the deck already because I was too slow in getting back to you, if so, I'm very sorry.

Geoff.

Life Member.

WaterFront
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

I really appreciate you replying to me. I haven't done it yet. I was thinking about your questions and realised I actually had a lot of decisions to make. It's not in the 'too hard' basket just yet, I just need to think it through a bit more. If it's okay with you, I'll come back with some answers to your questions in a little bit of time. I'm grateful for the help.

WF

Hello WaterFront, that's OK, please don't hesitate and even the questions I asked please don't be afraid.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Fiatlux
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

I have a question about plumbing which you may be able do answer.

18 years ago we built a brand new home in a brand new housing estate. So all services such as gas, electricity, water, sewerage and telecommunications services had to be provided by the estate developers.

My query is concerning the stormwater services and whether the building company who built our home would have been responsible for connecting our down pipes to the storm water system in the street. Apparently down one side of our home, the garage side, the storm water is connected to the storm water pit , however down the other side and the most important side, it appears that our down pipes were never connected to the storm water pit and basically stopped in our front yard. 

We had a plumber out numerous times in the past however last month we had a plumber put a camera down a pipe to trace the pipes as we thought there was a blockage somewhere. What we found was much worse. The pipe ended in the garden and went nowhere. When he dug up that area, he found about a metre of very flimsy flexible pipe that was connected to a down pipe at the front of our house. 

After lots of digging, laying new pipes, getting a new Council permit, our home storm water drainage has been fixed at considerable expense I must add.

Thank you for this thread and I hope you can answer my question.

Hope you are well and all the best. Fiatlux 🙏🏼

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Fiatlux,

Just popping in to let you that our beautiful and caring Geoff, passed away on the 13th July 2023….he is very sadly missed and will be forever remembered for being the amazing champ he was….

Sorry to give you this sad news..

Kind thoughts, with a caring hug..🤗

Fiatlux
Community Member

Thank you Grandy,

I will light a candle for him as I can now feel his presence.

He was and still is a great gentleman and such a gentle soul 🙏🏼

Oh goodness, this is so very sad to hear.

Quite a shock actually.

In the short time that I corresponded with him, I realised that he had a beautiful soul.

My thoughts are with you Geoff.

Ems