FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Johnny_
Community Member

Thankyou everyone for sharing, I don’t feel so alone when I read your stories.

My daily physical symptoms atm is muscle tension. It’s heavily in the upper back/neck area, right side of my face jaw and in my hamstrings. It’s always there. If I get deep tissue massage or acupuncture to relieve it, I am in tears for two days or more. Not sure why? and I hate it. 

On occasion I get light headed and dry reach too, which is annoying. 

I moderately exercise, eat healthy, meditate, practice deep breathing, stretch regularly, use a acupressure mat(it’s awesome) and get massages ever two/three weeks. 

I went through burnout at work and I’m on the recovery. The above works but is hard. 

Good to read this. I've been getting back/neck pain which moves into the head to create headaches, along with a headache every time I feel stress/anxiety. I had trouble believing the doctor when he said it was most likely anxiety, but I'm still going to a chiropractor. Accepting it's anxiety and that I have to deal with it rather than act like I've fixed it has helped lately, sometimes I need a professional to remind me of this, and this forum helps me stop comparing myself to the 'perfect' people out there.

Stevoheaveho
Community Member

Butterflies in the stomach is the big one. Yeah definitely so 

Sorry to hear that Jill aha sorry couldn't help a slight laugh at the last bit. Otherwise sorry to hear that

theo-m
Community Member

My anxiety feels like a heart that feels it's gonna burst out of my chest, all my skin hurting, my vision narrowing, losing breath (used to hyperventilate, but i've controlled that now), lump in my throat.

often it looked angry, because i'd be trying to find a safe place for myself by pushing through people, and when I found a safe place I wouldn't let anyone come close.

magic21
Community Member

I hate going to sleep now, just when I want to relax it will hit me and my left hand and foot feel weird all night 

Brett1981
Community Member

It's sort of sad to get some pleasure out of seeing that others get similar physical effects of anxiety than I do. When my doctor tells me I get all of issues from anxiety, I really struggle to believe it!

I get headaches, bad sleep, dizziness, nausea that only comes because I'm anxious about it coming.

Read and practise all the many sources of info we have, it does help if you put effort into it!

Sickofeverything
Community Member

My anxiety can appear to others not to be anxiety.  I overdo it by moving around a lot and to many seem extremely happy and motivated 

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey everyone..and thankyou for being a part of the forum family too!

after having anxiety attacks for a few decades (with treatment) I have managed to find a helpful indicator that may help people with any level of anxiety issues....

• If our anxiety begins to have a detrimental effect on our ability to function effectively on a day to day basis then its time to see our GP....and a double appointment is always a bonus too if possible

We have everything to gain and nothing to lose by doing so

Annabay has created a helpful thread topic and thankyou everyone for speaking from the heart too!

my kindest always

Paul

leannebf
Community Member

I’ve been feeling this recently with work. I get tight ball like feelings in the chest but also a reflux type of thing, nausea and the impending feeling of crying at any minute.