FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Scott_O
Community Member

I’ve had a lot of symptoms, mostly indigestion stuff my gut plays up with my anxiety, sometimes overactive bladder, the chesty feeling, random sensations that I just fixate on lots of things, having health anxiety doesn’t help but trying to get through it 

A_W
Community Member

Ok, I’ve never posted or even joined a forum for my anxiety and depression. However - whatever’s I’ve done so far hasn’t helped much so I thought may as well try.

reading everyone’s symptoms, made me feel a lot less alone. 
I have high level anxiety and low level depression, however when I get into a state of anxiety my whole body tingles, I feel nauseous, shake, heart palpitations, dry mouth and nerve issues ( usually because physically I go stiff which affects back muscles and then nerves ) I get really lethargic and can’t focus. 
I would also not eat for days at a time when my anxiety was at its peak. 
I now take probiotics daily along with st Johns wort once a day, they certainly don’t take it away but it allows me to at least be able to eat ( which subsequently can lessen other symptoms) and the probiotics seem to help with nausea. 
thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. 

Abi_Judd
Community Member

Hi! With my physical symptoms i get with my anxiety i get really Shakey if i stress too much but most of the time i would be nausious and have sweaty palms. xoxo hope you guys are doing alright!!!

Cheeks10
Community Member

Hi SCoo, I know how you feel, I had my anxiety under control for quite a few years then something happened and it's back with a vengeance and now I get so frustrated that I end up in tears most days and I think it is my bodies way to relieve the tension and the feeling of helplessness.  I too get the nausea and really tight stomach, I get the wobbly leg feeling that I need to sit down and when it turns to a panic attack I get a wave of hot and cold go over my body.  I think toilet troubles are a given with the symptoms of anxiety of which I also suffer from and the racing heart can be very scary too.

Thanks for sharing as it definitely helps to know I am not alone even though it can feel like it sometimes.

Cheeks10
Community Member

Hi A_W, I have only just joined this site and after reading through some of the posts I too can say I don't feel so alone.

thisisJ
Community Member

My hearts beats faster and it could be for hours or days.

Hair loss. (I pull my hair to reduce the anxiety and or stress. it's bad, i know.. but it does give me some positive reaction fttt.)

bad skin, could due to lack of rest and etc.

shaken/palm shaken, not as bad as disease level (neuro system issues) shaken, but it certainly not as good as when i'm not having anxiety.

And also throw up feeling at most time. ( like I'm trying to swallow a stone too.)

Ksalu
Community Member

Hi annabay, I also experience physical chest pain when I have anxiety. When experiencing anxiety, I also have a racing heart rate, sweaty palms, and a shaky body (particularly my leg). 

(am i doing this right? Im new 🙂 )

JulieS101
Community Member

Morning anxiety/waking up gasping and shaking is my big one. I usually am not in a stable place of mind till about 10 Am, to be honest. In general, it would also be Nausea, loss of appetite and mind blanks where I literally cant do anything but think about why I am anxious. This post was from 2019 so hope you are feeling better in 2023 🙂 

anti_hero333
Community Member

sometimes my heart feels physically heavy, same with my stomach. also i feel like vomiting.

thanks for creating this, hope everyone's ok xx

rubytiger
Community Member

I have pretty severe anxiety so it can get pretty out of hand most of the time..

When I'm really anxious I can't seem to calm myself down no matter what I do so I can't breathe properly, I can't move yet I get all fidgety and restless and have to keep moving my fingers or hands not knowing what to do with myself. I sometimes have panic attacks and I get really really nauseous which doesn't go away for ages..

I struggle with it multiple times everyday and feel alone