FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Hey Doz,
I did tell him about my hand. I got CT scans done today of my back and head. But he still just thinks it's all my anxiety. I just feel like I'm always in panic mode so getting all kinds of different weird stuff happening.

The stress symptoms I have:

Skin disorders

Hormonal disorders

Weight gain

Shingles

The list goes on... .

I'm sorry that this isn't fitting into the thread blondguy but this is my first post on BB !!

Sea Pearl 😉

I dream of a sea where I'm not scared to swim ... .

Hi Sea Pearl

Thankyou for contributing to the discussion and Welcome 🙂

I am only a temporary poster on this thread topic as it was written by Annabay last October...I have only taken an interest in this thread topic as I have had a few decades of experience with chronic anxiety/depression and just trying to help out

Your input is just as valued as mine or anyone else's on the forums! Great to have you as part of the Beyond Blue forum family Sea Pearl 🙂

my kind thoughts....I hope you can stick around

Paul

Ace1988
Community Member

Hi guys,

long time anxiety sufferer, short time poster..

Seems that I’ve recently acquired a new symptom, numb legs and feet... is this a common anxiety symptom?

Hi Ace1988

Thankyou for having the courage to post! Nice1 🙂

Ive had anxiety on and off for 37 years and it can manifest itself in so many ways...numb legs and feet....It sounds familiar as I used to sit in boardrooms and in a company car for a while and felt the same feelings

Does your career/job involve sitting for long periods? Its difficult to say as I dont know the levels of anxiety that you have been experiencing

The forums are a rock solid safe place for you to post Ace and great to have you as part of the forum family too!

Paul

Ace1988
Community Member

Hi Paul! Thanks for the super fast reply 🙂

my job involves me standing a lot of the time actually, but due to this covid stuff I’m not working at the moment...
I haven’t had any anxiety feelings for a long time but tonight, whilst I was taking a relaxing bath of all things, my anxiety spiked and I felt horrid! But the new symptom of numb legs and feet has thrown me and of course, it’s all I can think about and dwell on. I have no doubt it’s probably nothing, but as you know, the mind plays tricks on us.
my legs are still feeling strange, and feel hot, not to touch, but they feel hot. I’m not sure if that makes sense...

thanks,

stace

Hi Stace!..No worries at all 🙂

If we didnt have new members like yourself on the forums they would cease to exist...so thankyou again!

You have partially answered you own question when you mentioned you are currently not working....and I am very sorry this has happened to you..This is a seriously crappy time we are going through...

I remember having numb legs when my anxiety was all over the place...as you know anxiety usually strikes our digestive system first yet can represent anywhere in our system as well

Adrenaline flow can also effect our system when we experience anxiety....some people have the numb and hot sensations...some people shake a lot....grind their teeth....night sweats...etc etc

If it has a negative affect on your ability to walk or stand it requires our GP...as you know...I hope that you are doing reasonably well otherwise Stace as you have been through a tough time with work and coping with this blasted coronavirus...

you are very welcome to start your own thread topic too....if you want to..I know you are not alone Stace!

my kindest

Paul

DepressedJess
Community Member

Anxiety can be different for everyone...

my anxiety makes me physically sick I also have uncontrollable shaking and trembling also tiredness and even difficulty breathing to the point I pass out it’s not fun these symptoms can last minute to hours.

Thanks for sharing guys.

I get a burst of anxiety that lasts about 1 or 2 days once every 10-12 days.

When it hits I can get a frozen mind, dry mouth, to nervous to speak with others and I also get breakthrough paranoia.

I try and not let these symptoms rule my life, and they don't. Day-by-day they're going away, I just have to look after my mental health and do what else is required.

I'm getting better, and am much improved than I once was.

Koby16
Community Member
I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember to point I can no longer really tell what is anxiety or not. I have upset stomachs all the time, headaches, chest pain, fatigue, bloating, stomach cramps...and I don't know if it's in my head or something more. My head tells me it's my anxiety, but it happens so often now it takes over my life. Does anyone experience something similar?