FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Hi Depressed Jess

I definitely know how it feels to feel physically sick ...l had dry reaching for many many months every morning it was awful. Thankfully it slowly got better...occasionally l still feel nauseous. I just tried to accept the symptoms and not fear them as much. I always have been trying to overcome dizziness/ vertigo which l got 16 months ago ..l believe my anxiety stemmed from this.....my head feels heavy alot of the time....have you experienced this symptom

Hi Jess....this is an awful place to be in....the trembling hands are very familiar to me even though I understand its adrenaline working overtime....Thankyou so much for being a part of the Beyond Blue forum family especially in this difficult period we are going through with Covid-19...ugh!

Hi Doz86....thankyou for your take on anxiety symptoms! Like DepressedJess mentioned...everyone has varying levels of anxiety....This isnt my thread topic....Annabay wrote this back in October last year and its a great thread topic....I am just jumping in when I can to share my 37 years of this awful set of symptoms

Hi Koby16....Thankyou for being a part of Annabays thread topic! I understand the symptoms you have posted and yes they are awful to have...If you have a look at the heaps of members that have posted above...including my own symptoms..you are not alone Koby16

Hey JillG....Thankyou for your super caring support on the forums and especially jumping in and providing Jess with the TLC you have!

Just as per my own 'lived' experience...' if our anxiety symptoms start to effect our day to day well being and ability to function (whether at work...school....or our personal lives) on a day to day basis....Its time to call our GP and have a vent/talk about how we are feeling.

thankyou amazing people!

Paul

Ace1988
Community Member

Thanks Paul,

I find your kind words very soothing to read. It’s a tough time for so many at the moment. As long as we are healthy and looking after ourselves physically and mentally, that’s all that matters until this blows over.

holly13
Community Member

My main symptom of anxiety is feeling sick/nauseous all the time. For the longest time, I thought it was a gastro related condition, but it happens even if I eat super bland food...I just start feeling so sick and it can last for ages. And because I have a super intense phobia of vomit, feeling sick all the time just makes my anxiety even worse so it becomes a really vicious cycle.

I also often experience feeling super spacey and disconnected, like I'm not actually present, which can make it hard to focus. I also commonly experience shortness of breath and twitching legs, most often when I'm on the verge of a panic attack.

Hi Ace1988

Hi Stace...Thankyou so much for your super (complimentary) post! You just made my day 🙂

Ace1988 mentioned "As long as we are healthy and looking after ourselves physically and mentally, that’s all that matters until this blows over"

my kindest

Paul

Ace1988
Community Member

My pleasure Paul,

These threads have been a lifesaver in this lonely Covid world. Ever have that feeling of being surround by people but feeling so lonely? It’s a strange one! But so real. Lately the loneliness has been agressive.

Stace 🙂

Absolutely Ace1988 (Stace) New Members are always welcome to post on Annabays thread too 🙂

These are very tough times...and yes lonely too...I hear you loud and clear there Stace....This has never happened before and even as a volunteer on Beyond Blue its new ground.....

Please be gentle to yourself

Paul

Hi i have same issues with bowel. When I'm feeling fine bowel issues are normal but when anxious bowel movements are not the same then i start to think do i have bowel cancer which makes me more anxious

Siennam
Community Member

Hey,

I usually experience a really bad feeling in my chest that feels like I'm about to collapse. It gets very hard to breathe and I become disoriented, restless and barely functional. I can't talk to people properly and I am not myself. I usually get anxiety when something is coming up that i dont know what to expect from. It isnt regular, but when it happens it can last for weeks. I can barely even go to school.

hope everyones is coping well in this time and happy easter x

Hi Everyone! and thankyou for being a part of Annabays great thread topic 🙂

Hello Goingmad....You are not alone with the bowel movements..ugh....Our digestive system is the most sympathetic to stress or low level anxiety issues and its a frustrating symptom to have..I understand you!

Hello Siennam....thankyou for posting and being a part of Annabays discussion too! The tight breathing..restlessness and feeling disorientated are common symptoms of stress and low levels of anxiety....I hope that you can see your school counsellor and have a chat..or start your own thread here...You are not alone

Thankyou for your kind wishes Siennam....Happy Easter 🙂

my kind thoughts.....Paul