FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Upcoming Job Interview

Janey123
Community Member

Hi,

I am trying to prepare for a job interview at the moment and I'm having serious difficulty due to wanting to escape my anxiety and do ANYTHING else but think about the impending interview. As it gets closer I can feel the fear rising in me.

I have had serious anxiety and depression issues in the past due to the competitive nature of my chosen work industry, and a lack of job security over the last two years.

I am after some advice on how to slow down and focus on what I need to do. I know I can do okay in the interview if I am well prepared. If I go in feeling unprepared I could have an anxiety attack before hand and be unable to do it.

8 Replies 8

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Janey,

Welcome to the community here. You will find information on anxiety on this site which may help you.

If it would be beneficial you could use the phone help line as well to speak with someone about how you are feeling.

It has been awhile since I had a job interview.

Are there suggestions on the internet? I am sure you might be able to Google a site that will help you and offer advice.

When is the interview?

Do you have a family member or a friend who can pretend to be an interviewee so you have an idea of what you would like to say.

My husband researched the organisation conducting the interview and asked them questions about the company.

Not sure what else to suggest. Hope it goes well for you.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

Janey123
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions, the interview is Monday.

I am working at the company already on a short term contract, so have plenty of questions to ask, i am going for a more secure position.

I can ask someone to do a mock interview. I might do that so I know where my weaknesses are.

Janey

Hi Janey,

I wish you all the very best with your interview.

Do you have ways to calm yourself before an important or probable stressful event? If possible, have a quiet moment somewhere before the interview to catch your breathe so to speak.

Hold your head up high, tell yourself that no matter what you will do the best you can and you can ask no more of yourself than that.

Congratulations for reaching the interviewing stage! That in itself is a bonus.

Practising the interview situation may certainly be beneficial! While doing that make sure you have some fun at the end of the practise. Ask silly questions, have a joke, something to help lighten your mood again.

All the best to you, from Mrs. Dools

Janey123
Community Member
Thank you. I woke up today feeling much clearer, calmer and more confident in my ability to perform at the interview. Phew!

Hi Janey,

If you are up to it, I would like to know how the interview went.

Remember you can do your best and nothing more. Even if a person is perfect for the position they are applying for, if the interviewee doesn't think so, then it won't happen.

We can control so much. There are other influences we have no control over. Sounds like you are feeling good about the process, so all the best!

Cheers again from Mrs. Dools

Janey123
Community Member

I had an absolutely horrid morning trying to ward off panic attacks and tears, but managed to get through it, just.

After the interview I immediately started focusing on all the things I could've done better, berating myself. Before the end of the day I got called in to the managers office to find that I'd won the job and performed really well in the interview.

I'm over the moon, just wish I was kinder to myself through the process. Thanks so much for your support!

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Janey,

Congratulations on getting the job! That's amazing news! I'm glad you were told of the positive outcome this afternoon after your morning interview, because waiting for news can be anxiety-provoking. You deserve to be so proud of yourself. Despite the panic and anxiety, you pushed through and achieved your goal! 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

Hi Janey,

Congratulations. A huge Hi 5 for you! Well done!

I echo Zeal's statements, you pulled through and did your best and secured the job.

Now you can tell yourself that you can manage to work through your anxiety and panic attacks and have positive outcomes.

You may have set backs in the future, just remember how well you have done as well.

Thanks so much for letting us know. Well done once again.

Cheers form Mrs. Dools