Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Eme RECOVERED?!
  • replies: 2

Hi, I would love to hear some stories on recovery. People that have succeeded & have fully recovered from Anxiety. I myself have read books/ counselling/Meds/therapy, you name it. I have made a promise to myself that I will achieve. I would like to b... View more

Hi, I would love to hear some stories on recovery. People that have succeeded & have fully recovered from Anxiety. I myself have read books/ counselling/Meds/therapy, you name it. I have made a promise to myself that I will achieve. I would like to be fully recovered from my Anxiety/depression & be able to help others. I was sexually & mentally abused for 10 years when I was younger. Im 35 & I don't recall much before the age of 20, I think my mind has subconsciously blocked it out. I still dream about the Pedophile now & it's been 15 years since it stopped. He had a hold over me, I was embarrassed, I was scared, I felt dirty & the most of all was that I was controlled. I want MY LIFE BACK, I DONT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO CONTROL IT BUT ME & DEFINITELY NOT ANXIETY!!!!!!!

anotherPeter Friends
  • replies: 10

Can someone please be my friend?  

Can someone please be my friend?  

Shrinkingviolet Broken Ankle = Conversation starter
  • replies: 1

I recently broke my ankle at work. I slipped on an outdoor ramp that had worn grips and landed awkwardly, resulting in two broken bones. I have spent the last 5 weeks under my doona feeling sorry for myself. I am fiercely independent and the idea of ... View more

I recently broke my ankle at work. I slipped on an outdoor ramp that had worn grips and landed awkwardly, resulting in two broken bones. I have spent the last 5 weeks under my doona feeling sorry for myself. I am fiercely independent and the idea of asking people for help is horrible. It's been such a difficult time. Not to mention dealing with the insurer and my HR department who have been harassing me and talking to me like a child. After a previous doctor failed to complete my return to work certificate correctly my HR rep became aggressive and threatened me with withholding my wage. I instantly broke down, hyperventilating and started spiralling. The HR person became awkward and I ended up hanging up. I don't feel comfortable talking to her anymore. My leg is revolting. It is swollen and scarred. I don't recognise it as my leg anymore. My brain seems to have disowned it. I feel ridiculous talking like this because people go through far worse than this, but nevertheless I am struggling. I felt I had started to turn a corner when my sister came to stay with me last week and she encouraged me to try and walk again. I started to remember what life used to be like. I saw the doctor who recommended that I return to work. Today was my first day back and it was TORTURE!! The pain was horrible but what I struggled with more than anything is that strangers use my broken leg to start a conversation with me. My social anxiety is worse than a thousand broken bones. It's intense and it's tiring. I feel like people are constantly staring. I am uncomfortable and I don't want to leave the house. Would it be unreasonable to ask for more time off until I'm more mobile and less conspicuous? I can't cope with the situation. I hate the attention. I hate looking like an idiot struggling to get around. I hate putting on a fake smile and pretending to be fine. I'm not fine. My leg hurts and I don't want to tell people the story of how I broke my leg walking... not doing tricks on the ski slopes, like they want to hear.

Lars Help - panic attack

Hi all, just an old bloke who needs to unload some emotion and thoughts and hopefully get some advice. I'm a teacher of 23 years experience (currently primary) who deals with depression and social anxiety. This year my anxiety has developed a mind of... View more

Hi all, just an old bloke who needs to unload some emotion and thoughts and hopefully get some advice. I'm a teacher of 23 years experience (currently primary) who deals with depression and social anxiety. This year my anxiety has developed a mind of its own and I am really struggling with the demands of the job. I have always managed to lessen the prevalence of panic attacks by simple avoidance - if I ain't there, it won't happen. Unfortunately, I had a full-blown, nuclear-level panic attack a few weeks ago at a parent-teacher interview and don't know what to do now. One of my fears is confrontation and people thinking ill of me. A parent came in and from go-to-whoah hammered me about her daughter's results and my performance as a teacher. Never mind that her daughter is top of the class or that every other parent is happy with the job I am doing, whatever she said was relentlessly negative and personal. I could feel an attack coming on and tried to cope by saying as little as possible, but I wasn't able to defend myself. Eventually, the dam burst - I stood up, burst into tears (in front of a bout 5 or 6 other teachers and about a dozen parents), told the parent she couldn't talk to me that way and that I was suicidal (I'm not but at tha instant that's how I felt) and walked out. My boss found me and sat with me in a dark staffroom for 1/2 an hour while I sobbed and ranted. Since then, I have not returned to work - about a week and a half of leave and now holidays. My workplace has been extremely understanding before and after the attack and are working with our WHS people on a gradual return to work. I could not ask any more of them for which I am very grateful. However, I feel extremely anxious about even returning to the workplace. I'm worried about the way other staff may treat me - I know it won't be unkind, but I don't want people to walk on eggshells around me. I'm fearful that the suicide comment is out in the public sphere and that the parent concerned may have told others or that the students will know. I'm panicky about the thought of parents approaching me, no matter how innocent it may be. The whole thing has made me a wreck. I've started on new medication but I just can't see a way to return without fear gripping me and making me a walking time-bomb. I don't expect anyone to come up with what I need here but if anyone has any advice, I'm open to anything. Please.

gloria10 Family events and social anxiety
  • replies: 4

Hi all, I have a bit of an issue with my relationship with my mum. I always thought we were close and often spoke with each other, but lately I feel like there is a bit of emotional guilt from my mum. If there is a family event, such as a birthday or... View more

Hi all, I have a bit of an issue with my relationship with my mum. I always thought we were close and often spoke with each other, but lately I feel like there is a bit of emotional guilt from my mum. If there is a family event, such as a birthday or anniversary, and I cant make it due to social anxiety or my health my mum gets very angry with me. She wont always show it around other people, but does when she's just talking with me, so I have no proof to back it up. Then if I don't make it, like I have recently, she gives me the silent treatment and she has admitted that she does this when she's angry. I then start to feel guilty and feel like I have to make it up to her even though it wasn't her birthday and it had nothing to do with her, but it's like I've caused a great injustice. One time when I couldn't make it she didn't speak to me for three weeks, I was shattered. I'm just finding our relationship an emotional drain lately and have to keep my distance, which is hard since I get separation anxiety. Have any of you had emotional guilt from parents? How have you dealt with it? Many thanks for reading...

Surrender Very worried about my financial state
  • replies: 3

Hi all I have gone back on ADs and these with therapy have helped a lot although i haven't seen my therapist for a few weeks as she is away. I can't seem to stop worrying about my financial state, i am 51 haven't been able to keep my last three jobs ... View more

Hi all I have gone back on ADs and these with therapy have helped a lot although i haven't seen my therapist for a few weeks as she is away. I can't seem to stop worrying about my financial state, i am 51 haven't been able to keep my last three jobs due to my mental state (can't perform simple tasks) and have been unemployed for over three years and not sure that anyone will ever hire me again. I don't have any super and i have a small debt. I am worried how i will end up in fact i am worried i will end up living in my car.....then what? So scared of the future. I don't mind living a simple life but i still need money. Any suggestions please? so worried how i will end up. How do people do it please. I am sharing with four others and i dont want to end up in a rooming house. How can i get ahead without a job. Can't stop thinking about all this. What happens to people like me, broke, mentally ill, how can i help myself. Desperate for suggestions please. Thanks for listening. Thank you for listening.

pazyamor Scared I'm going to die (panic attack symptoms)

Hi guys, My first panic attack was 1 year ago when I was going through a stressful period, when this attack occurred my mum called the ambulance because no one in my family had ever experienced these symptoms so she thought it was a medical condition... View more

Hi guys, My first panic attack was 1 year ago when I was going through a stressful period, when this attack occurred my mum called the ambulance because no one in my family had ever experienced these symptoms so she thought it was a medical condition because I was trembling, nauseous, fast heart beat, numb arms and legs etc. Anyway all medical results came out ok and I was told it was a panic attack. After this I was relieved and took steps to destress my life and make positive changes. After this episode I made alot of positive changes and was so happy and looking forward to life and reaching all my personal goals up until 3 months ago when I had a few panic attacks within a period of 2 weeks. Since the recent attacks I am so fearful, I feel this fear inside of me and I keep thinking I am going to die, especially in my sleep, I barely sleep because of this and as a result of this fear I feel panic and anxiety and it brings on panic attack symptoms. And if I'm not worried about dying I am checking on my little sister when she sleeps to make sure she is still breathing. I dont know whats wrong with me and I feel as though I am going crazy. All my friends and family know me as a positive, happy, carefree person who feels blessed to live in a country like Australia and have loving people around me and I have always been the type to look at the brighter side of things BUT I feel like I'm losing this girl I was and being negative and fearful and I cry alot. I just want to be myself again and I don't know how Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments

Queen_Diamond Acupressure for anxiety
  • replies: 4

Has anyone had any experience with acupressure to help with anxiety? Just wondering if it is effective? And if so is it something you do on yourself or do you go to somewhere for it (like acupuncture)?

Has anyone had any experience with acupressure to help with anxiety? Just wondering if it is effective? And if so is it something you do on yourself or do you go to somewhere for it (like acupuncture)?

tatemymate After some help with anxiety questions please :)
  • replies: 1

Hi, I am a 44 year old single mum, and full time Police Officer. I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety. I have no problems speaking to people, and do well in large groups but this is not by problem. I simply can't stop my mind from rac... View more

Hi, I am a 44 year old single mum, and full time Police Officer. I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety. I have no problems speaking to people, and do well in large groups but this is not by problem. I simply can't stop my mind from racing. I am on an antidepressant for the anxiety but i don't feel any different. The biggest thing that bothers me is that i can never, EVER feel relaxed. Even after a massage, bath, quiet time, meditation or even a holiday. I literally can never remember ever feeling truly relaxed. I sleep ok, but during the day i just stress internally. It is affecting my job and my ability to form relationships. I just want to be able to calm my mind enough to enjoy life. Does anyone else feel this way? Its driving me crazy...

Queen_Diamond Pulse in Throat

I've just recently noticed that I can feel (and at times see) the pulse in the hollow of my throat (suprasternal notch). Of course I Googled it and found lots of conflicting info on whether this is normal or not. I'm not asking for medical info or di... View more

I've just recently noticed that I can feel (and at times see) the pulse in the hollow of my throat (suprasternal notch). Of course I Googled it and found lots of conflicting info on whether this is normal or not. I'm not asking for medical info or diagnosis but simply whether there are other anxiety sufferers experincing the same? Just wondering if it's another one of those weird anxiety related things; I'm pretty sure my pulse has always done that but having health anxiety has just made me notice it and start obssessing over it.