Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

siliver_rat Lost
  • replies: 2

Hi I am feeling very lost and anxious all the time. Any time I start to feel even a bit better my mind just thinks about possible bad things that may happen and back comes the anxious feeling. For most of my life I have been successful, had a good jo... View more

Hi I am feeling very lost and anxious all the time. Any time I start to feel even a bit better my mind just thinks about possible bad things that may happen and back comes the anxious feeling. For most of my life I have been successful, had a good job, wife and one 18 year old daughter. My daughter has had mild Anorexia very since a boy called her fat. Have been working through this and she is getting better. Moved school and just recently moved house to help - definite improvement in her state of mind. Moving house resulted in an increased mortgage and this unfortunately coincided with troubles at work. All of a sudden my job is under threat. I had some anxiety feelings before but now I just feel sick all the time, Cry for no reason, just want to curl up in a ball. I feel I am letting my family down, my confidence is shot everything is just dark. I know people have a life a lot harder than mine and I should not be so sad but I cannot shake the feeling and for the first time in my life I do not know what to do.

Karellen I feel like I am defined by my anxiety
  • replies: 4

Hello, I have been reading these forums for a few months now and thought I might try giving some advice before asking for some in return. As is happens I could not find anything positive to say and felt like I didn't have any useful advice to give an... View more

Hello, I have been reading these forums for a few months now and thought I might try giving some advice before asking for some in return. As is happens I could not find anything positive to say and felt like I didn't have any useful advice to give anybody else. So I thought I would just go ahead and just say how I have been feeling. I have had anxiety since I was about 13 (I am 26 now) and have periods of bad depression every so often as well. Though out this time most people considered me a shy person. No one really understood me and I could did not feel I could confide in anyone. Going into high school everything started to become a source of anxiety bu somehow I kind of just grit my teeth and bore it . By the time I got to year 12 I had a bit of a breakdown and had to see a counselor and I kept as many people in the dark about it as I could. I was reassured by my parents that life would get better when I went to university. It only got worse. During the next few years I saw a few different therapist and took a few different medications and it was all for naught. I made no friends at university, failed more units than I passed, got suspended for 12 months for poor academic performance and have forgotten most of what I learned at the end of it. Ended up getting a low paying job with no relevance to my degree. I should just add that I also have no self-esteem or confidence in myself as a human being. No motivating goals or ambition apart from getting through the next day without having a mental breakdown. The social anxiety aspects I could probably go on about forever as they are always on my mind. I am constantly agonizing over my limited experience with women, the state of my limited friendships and so forth and I can become really bitter about it. Seeing an attractive woman on the street can make me immediately feel dejected and slightly nauseous. What is that supposed to say about me? Sorry if this is long winded but i have difficulty writing down my thoughts. The almost consistent anxiety, self-loathing and sexual frustration just seem to feed into each other making it difficult to concentrate. I have given up trying to talk to people about it as it seems to leave me more frustrated (my blood seems to boil every time someone suggests breathing exercises.) I guess I just feel like this all consuming state of mind is all I am but confused that it has not destroyed me yet. Having trouble finishing this, sorry. thanks for reading

stuggelingmumandwife i just dont know how i should feel
  • replies: 3

I have been married for 10 years and over the years i have let my depression and anxiety get to me. This has caused my marriage to suffer resulting in very minimal sex and my husband feeling unloved and un appriciated. Over the years my husband has m... View more

I have been married for 10 years and over the years i have let my depression and anxiety get to me. This has caused my marriage to suffer resulting in very minimal sex and my husband feeling unloved and un appriciated. Over the years my husband has made new friends at work which have been women. He would have lunch with them and would then start texting regularly. Over the years i have been jelous of the relationship and he has been honest he has said he gets attention from them which is what he is not getting at home. Recently there has been one woman who i feel really insecure about. They have been out drinking together (just them ) and text every day. He has told her of our marriage problems. I believe him that he is not cheating but my anxiety and depression kick in and make it worse. He says we are world's apart in what we like and want yet they have a similar job. He has a hobby which normally meana real early start so i don't usually want to go cos of kids however today he has taken her. My behavior about her has caused problems for us as he said she is a good friend who he can talk to. How can i control my emotions and trust him. He has never cheated. If anything i should be the one who cant be trustes. I cheated on him just before being diagnosed. Please help

SweetieCass Lost in the Past - Relapse
  • replies: 8

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to this Mary-go-round of anxiety, So I feel a little silly writing this right now. A good start to this story is that I have overcome this thing twice and been able to manage for a good 1.5 years curren... View more

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to this Mary-go-round of anxiety, So I feel a little silly writing this right now. A good start to this story is that I have overcome this thing twice and been able to manage for a good 1.5 years currently. However I am slipping again. My anxiety is not about the future, I'm pretty good at meeting that head on. My anxiety is about the past, which makes it so difficult to overcome because it's always there. I get anxiety about things in the past that I might have done but not thought about, or not thought what people would think. I get anxiety looking back at things like driving home, once I'm home, I worry about whether I ran red lights or cut people off. By this time my mind has usually distorted things and I can remember exactly what could have happened. Lots of small things like this and they can just ruin my memories and send me into panic. Lately I have been less able to put these things back in the past. People keep telling me the last won't hurt me and I just have to move on but we all know how that feels. Sounds easy right? I have been getting worse and worse over the last few weeks and now here I am unable to function almost. Yesterday was a crazy storm event. I work on an island so as soon as we heard things were going to get bad we were out the door to get home. The road can sometimes flood. Anyways we got to this road area and it was water over the road. I can't even remember how much!!. But everyone was still going through. Big cars small cars etc so I went through. Scared stiff but I followed the line of people, took my turn and slowly and carefully followed the line of cars . My work colleagues were one in front and one behind and we all went through ok, followed by many many more people on either side of be road. I'm not sure if they ever closed that road at all. Nothing happened, we were all through safe, I breathed a sigh of relief. However I could not stop shaking hVe been in panic mode since then. I know it was a stupid and horrible thing to do, I know how dangerous it was but I followed everyone. However I am stuck having flashbacks and anxiety. I don't know if this was just the last straw and my anxiety is back full time but I know I sure do not feel good today. I could not sleep. thats my mind right now. I was wondering does anyone else get anxiety about the past? can get rid of anxiety for the 3rd time without medication? I hate being back here in my head.

luciban Relapse of symptoms
  • replies: 5

I have been treated for anxiety and depression recently and with an increase in my medication have been feeling fantastic. I have managed to feel almost "normal" again for the last two weeks. I woke up today feeling very anxious again (not depressed)... View more

I have been treated for anxiety and depression recently and with an increase in my medication have been feeling fantastic. I have managed to feel almost "normal" again for the last two weeks. I woke up today feeling very anxious again (not depressed) but almost feeling like I was before I needed to start my medication. I have been on medication for a total of 14 weeks now and the dose increased two weeks ago. I become scared that I am going to get really sick again and anxious about the anxiety! I am worried that I have been feeling so good and all of a sudden I have this relapse. I do a lot of exercise, try to think positively and think it is just a hurdle, and keep busy, but the fear of becoming unwell again has me struggling today. Has anyone experienced this?

Living57 Anxiety/panic heightened by anothers actions
  • replies: 1

I am so anxious, my panic buttons have been pressed, it has heightened my depression. My husband has been diagnosed with dementia, I get that this causes him some angst and worries. I understand that he 'forgets', I understand. But, I have just disco... View more

I am so anxious, my panic buttons have been pressed, it has heightened my depression. My husband has been diagnosed with dementia, I get that this causes him some angst and worries. I understand that he 'forgets', I understand. But, I have just discovered that the tablets he needs for bp, gout and having had a heart attack, have not been taken. I give them to him as he has in the past forgotten, but he has been stashing them away. I found them when I was cleaning. I asked him about it and he shrugged and said whats the point. I am gping to see his Dr today, but the anxiety and panic about what the adverse effects can be has me worried. I am sweaty, light headed, and every little noise is intensified, it has been such a long night.

Liani1989 Life is well but my mind won't let me be happy.
  • replies: 1

I don't know what to do, everything is going well for me, I am in a new relationship and about to start a new life interstate but I in my mind I still feel anxious that something bad is going to happen, that i dont deserve happiness, finally my life ... View more

I don't know what to do, everything is going well for me, I am in a new relationship and about to start a new life interstate but I in my mind I still feel anxious that something bad is going to happen, that i dont deserve happiness, finally my life is getting better on the outside but on the inside I'm still having terrible thoughts; that I don't deserve happiness, that things will turn bad soon and I can't escape it it's like my soul hates me, I can't explain it I just want it to go away

BobMarley Life went pear shaped
  • replies: 2

Hello beautiful people,first time post. 5 years ago my life took a big turn,it went from being someone that had everything and everyone(friends) and then to being someone that lost it all especially my mind,i never knew much about depression and anxi... View more

Hello beautiful people,first time post. 5 years ago my life took a big turn,it went from being someone that had everything and everyone(friends) and then to being someone that lost it all especially my mind,i never knew much about depression and anxiety,but when i did i thought ahh well thats life,just live with it surely it will all go away,but no it doesnt work like that 5years later and im still stuck in the same rut,only now realising that i need help,and this is the first big step ive taken,lucky for me i still have my beautiful mrs that has been very supportive,only weeks ago i opened up to her about it,and since then life is starting to be easier in the aspects of my relationship with her,shes the most strongest woman i have ever known and im so lucky to still have her in my life,i dont deserve her but i can tell you this i owe her the world..

RandyJ Bursting into tears irrationally and randomly - anxiety & depression
  • replies: 3

Hi - I can't believe I'm here. But I am. I just picked myself up off the couch after sobbing uncontrollably for the past 30 minutes. Why was I crying? My dog ate a $2 drink coaster. I adopted this dog a little while ago for companionship & company du... View more

Hi - I can't believe I'm here. But I am. I just picked myself up off the couch after sobbing uncontrollably for the past 30 minutes. Why was I crying? My dog ate a $2 drink coaster. I adopted this dog a little while ago for companionship & company during my long work days. I work from home and it's SO boring for about 12 hours a day while my wife is out. I figured he would help and I'd break the monotony of being home alone all the time. Just recently I left my job to work from home because of health issues. Between pain, the dog, the anxiety over starting a new business and everything else I'm just overwhelmed. I tried to focus on my work this morning while the dog played. He was quiet-ish so I let him go. I walked into the room to get a drink and he's gnawing the last half of the mentioned coaster. I hooked him outside and completely collapsed. I don't blame him - I'm just anxious about everything. I'm anxious the business won't work. I'm anxious about my health and pretty much think everything I have wrong is going to kill me. I am anxious about the dog and whether I can control him and if it's too much work for me. I am anxious that if I return a rescue what a schmuck I am. I'm anxious that if I return a rescue pup he may have had one too many homes and something bad will happen to him too. I don't even know where to start. I thought walks & fresh air would be good for me. I thought having the pup depend on me would give me a bigger purpose than work. My wife loves the pup but she is out of the house 12 hours a day. She does everything with him when she's home - 100%. I don't begin to know where to start. When we walk and he pulls it hurts. When I don't walk, I hurt from sitting too long. I can't win. NOTHING I do has been right. I just can't get it right. I'm in pain going to work - that makes me anxious (and depressed). I quit work so I can work from home - that makes me anxious (and depressed). I get bored and lonely - that makes me anxious (and depressed). I adopt the pup to help him & help me - that makes me anxious (and depressed). Now I'm afraid if we re-surrender him, that will make me more anxious & depressed. And if I don't, he'll make me anxious. I can't get it right. I'm overwhelmed with anxiety & depression ... obviously. I really don't think this is dog, job or health related. It's just .. everything and me. I don't know what anyone can say or suggest but I'm in need.

anotherPeter I'm not suicidal but I wish it would end.
  • replies: 5

To begin with, I am not suicidal. I am not a danger to myself or anyone else. I am going through the experimental stages with medications. Apart from sedatives I am on my third anti depressant. Still it doesn't help. I feel that the medications are m... View more

To begin with, I am not suicidal. I am not a danger to myself or anyone else. I am going through the experimental stages with medications. Apart from sedatives I am on my third anti depressant. Still it doesn't help. I feel that the medications are making me paranoid. I am scared that someone might knock on the door. I am scared that the phone might ring. I am scared that I might get an email. I am terrified if a car drives by in the street. I am petrified that I might have to talk to someone. But I am lonely. I do nothing all day except wait for the time to pass. As I said, I am not suicidal and will not do anything to harm myself but I just wish it would all just end.