FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My dog has cancer

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I found out last week that my 13 year old Schnoodle dog has a cancerous tumour on his leg.
I don’t have friends or family and live alone. My dog is my companion and I could not love him more.

I have GAD and major depression and Bipolar type 2.

I am finding it very hard to cope with this news. The vet had tears in her eyes when she told me. She said she was not expecting this. S is a very active and puppy like dog. We go back to the vet in 4 weeks time to see if the cancer has progressed.
He doesn’t know he’s sick. I cooked chicken, rice and carrots for his dinner last night which I only do if he’s been unwell. S looked at me and wagged his tale so big, he wanted more!

I don't cook it all the time because I want him to have a fully balanced diet.

I worried this year when he turned 13 but I was planning on having another 4 years with him. He looks like he is in such good health. He developed a cough at the same time and the vet said he has a collapsing trachea. If it gets worse it can be treated with medication.
I had no idea this was coming. Nobody does.

He will have the best life I can give him. He may need lump removed but I worry that more will develop .

I feel calmer for having reached out to BB. Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Anicca,

Im so sorry to hear this about your beloved dog.

I understand this news would be so heartbreaking.

Im sorry you are finding it hard to cope with this sad news please know we are here as a community to support you.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Anicca..

I am so deeply sorry to hear about your beloved beautiful dog...

Or pets are so precious to us...I have 3 dogs that I love very much...

Anicca, sweetheart...I can only imagine how hard this would be for you..knowing how sick your beautiful dog is...

It sounds like you are giving your fur baby so much love and care through his life...and that’s something to hold onto..knowing you are given him the best loving and caring life you can...

Keep hold of your hope...that his vet can help him the best he can....and that if his lump is removed...they take all the cancer with it....

Here for you dear Anicca, when you feel up to talking...

My kindest thoughts with my care Dear Anicca...and a gentle hug for both you and your beautiful dog...

Grandy..

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thank you for your kind words. I’ll write more as the days go by. There are definitely more difficult times ahead.

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hello Grandy. Thank you for your kind words. The vet was hopeful that they could remove all the cancer when the time comes. She doesn’t want to operate just yet because of his age. I just find it hard getting through each day and know my anxiety will be high when we go back to the vet in four weeks time.

Hello Anicca

I understand your pain. I do hope your beautiful Schnoodle will be okay. I have been though the same with my rescue dogs and this can be very difficult especially when we have an anxiety disorder

Only when you can...please talk to us....we are listening Anicca

my kindest support

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Anica, my heart goes out to you because the puppies we have are always there to listen to us through thick and thin with their tale wagging and eyes focused on us, and when they are sick they feel sorry for us, rather than themselves.

My 18 year old Jack Russell also had a tumour on her leg which needed to be removed some years ago, so I appreciate how worried you must be feeling and offer our most kindest thoughts to both of you.

We are thinking of you if this procedure is carried out.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Geoff, thanks for your response. Can you tell me a bit about your JR’s procedure and the recovery process? Did your dog have a good outcome and for how long?

Thanks also to Paul. I can feel my depression creeping in. Writing on BB has allowed my to cry which is what I need to do. I also woke up this morning feeling like it was a normal day. I cancelled an appointment for myself because my emotions show on my face. It is too hard for me to try to appear normal. I feel like I am processing what is happening.

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

My dog had a benign cancerous tumour and we successfully had it removed. He is doing ok but will be fourteen soon. I have a new puppy that I love dearly. I could not stand the thought of being alone when my senior dog passes. He is getting used to the puppy but cannot tolerate a lot of puppy behaviour. I had to put all the squeaker toys away as my dog would be anxious and trembling. This is a sure sign of his aging. I’m hoping I am giving him a better quality of life now with more activity going on in the house and with walks. 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Anicca

I've just seen your Discussion here. I'm so glad your dog's cancer was benign & has been successfully removed.

Perhaps if you could give your new puppy toys that don't squeak, that could help with your oder dog's sensitivity? I think,

for the two of them, if they can get used to each other & even form a good relationship, all of you could benefit.

So long as your older dog is not too rough, he can teach your puppy about not being too rough, they can bond too, they can be really good for each other.

It seems to me, reading back, you are a thoughtful & caring pet owner.

I noticed very little about how you are caring for yourself. I read how you were found being able to talk & cry, while posting to BB, was helpful, giving you the space to let your feelings out. You are certainly welcome to talk more here, or to start another Discussion for your own self-care. There are other locations on BB where your thoughts would be welcome, too.

I wish you & your dogs all the best.

Hugzies

mmMekitty