FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My dog has cancer

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I found out last week that my 13 year old Schnoodle dog has a cancerous tumour on his leg.
I don’t have friends or family and live alone. My dog is my companion and I could not love him more.

I have GAD and major depression and Bipolar type 2.

I am finding it very hard to cope with this news. The vet had tears in her eyes when she told me. She said she was not expecting this. S is a very active and puppy like dog. We go back to the vet in 4 weeks time to see if the cancer has progressed.
He doesn’t know he’s sick. I cooked chicken, rice and carrots for his dinner last night which I only do if he’s been unwell. S looked at me and wagged his tale so big, he wanted more!

I don't cook it all the time because I want him to have a fully balanced diet.

I worried this year when he turned 13 but I was planning on having another 4 years with him. He looks like he is in such good health. He developed a cough at the same time and the vet said he has a collapsing trachea. If it gets worse it can be treated with medication.
I had no idea this was coming. Nobody does.

He will have the best life I can give him. He may need lump removed but I worry that more will develop .

I feel calmer for having reached out to BB. Thank you.

10 Replies 10

HelloGail
Community Member

Hello Annica

I just read your post though it is from 2022 and read at the end your vet was able to remove the cancer and you have a new puppy. Annica, you sound like a loving and caring person and your two pets are so lucky to be in good hands. I felt for you when you wrote of your sick dog as in 2016 I had to put our family dog of 15 years out of her pain, she developed a tumour in one of her mammary glands at age 11 and had it removed but four years later it came back with vengeance. I had to stay up with her all night as she was wandering around inside obviously in some kind of pain, howling and rang the vet. I wanted her to not be afraid so the vet gave me a tablet to give her an hour before we left for the vet. My daughter held her while we drove to the vet and when she passed on the vets table, she died with an open grin (smile) she was free, free from her pain. I cried everyday for three weeks. I love looking at her videos and our memories with her. She always stayed by my side, whether I was sitting on the back steps or on the couch she would with her pointy nose, push it under my arm so we could hug and on the bed she stayed at my feet as my two other smaller dogs slept at my head and back. All three have now passed. Treasure the memories as they are truly lifting. Love never fades from the heart, especially true love♥️