FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

how do you work?

Michelle34
Community Member
How does everyone hold down a job with chronic anxiety? I'm nervous about going back to work as I am having a massive flare and I don't know if I'll be able to cope. I'm lucky in the sense that I keep getting offered more and more hours from different people but I have to keep knocking them back as I don't think I'll be able to manage. None of the people I work for know I have chronic anxiety as I am able to keep my shit together for the hours I'm at work and maintain being bright and bubbly (I have had one person complain to me that they would never hire so and so because they suffer anxiety) though I've had to chuck a few sickies because of it. I've never been able to maintain a steady job. I am a good worker, I always get asked to take on more and do more where ever I work but I get to this point where my anxiety is too much I start wigging out and I have to quit and the cycle begins again. I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel and I never really get any where.
3 Replies 3

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi there Michelle34,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a tough space at the moment- reaching out whilst you are struggling can be hard, so we appreciate you being here.

Having an anxiety 'cycle' that affects your workplace and work-life can be frustrating- especially since it sounds like you just want to get on with things and enjoy your job and want to prove your capabilities. I encourage you to keep browsing through the anxiety thread- you may find insight from people with similar experiences. These threads may provide you with some coping strategies also: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well and also https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapie..., should you feel like accessing more structured help. We can always talk in this thread too!

Let us know how you go,

Tay100

VG_
Community Member

Hey Michelle

Just wanted to say your post really speaks to me because I have similar issues.

I think it’s totally fine to take time off for anxiety - same as any other medical issue.

Sounds like you are a good performer and your employer would be sad to lose you. I wonder if when you feel like you’re going to quit the job, you might be able to seek help or take a little time off?

Wishing you all the best

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Michelle34

Just thought I'd check in with you, see how you are travelling. I hope you have been able to find some relief or useful guidance/instruction at least. Please feel free to keep us posted in this thread if you like; we are here to listen.

Sending kindness,

Tay100