FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Getting help in rural area

Paulastired
Community Member

Hey, I am having major issues with anxiety - it is getting out of control lately due to a death in my family. I have done lots of things to manage it, i.e. food, exercise/yoga etc, but it is so bad now it is mucking up my work.

I have been to the GP twice for help and to ask for medication but refused as I scored 19 and needed 20 to "qualify". I have done a lot of my own reading and learning, and feel this is where I need to go.

Instead I was given a script for sleeping tablets, which the pharmacists couldn't administer for some reason, and they need to compound these after I agree to a price. ?? I don't know it seems so stupid, and to wait for 2 weeks to see if I feel better.

Anyway, how do you get help when your GP won't listen and says you don't really have a problem and just need sleep, when you really have a problem? I live in a rural area and feel like the doctors here don't think mental health is a real thing.

Its hard to ask for help, and get knocked down.

2 Replies 2

Rebecca_B
Community Member

Hi Paulastired, a very warm welcome.

I'm sorry you've had such a terrible experience, and my warmest sympathies for the loved one you have lost.

If you feel comfortable, I would suggest perhaps finding another GP who can offer some support right now, they can refer you to speak to a mental health professional under a mental health plan. There are also free apps such as Instant Consult where you can access a bulk-billed GP through the app so you can speak with someone from the comfort of your own home. There are also telehealth psychologists which you can gain access too (much like a skype session), which would be helpful considering you are rural.

It's most concerning that you don't feel like your GP is listening to you, and what you have been through so far would be very frustrating and draining. I'm sorry this is happening, there are plenty of great and wonderfully supportive GP's out there and I do hope you can find one soon.

We are all here to listen and support you, so please feel free to discuss as much as you feel comfortable expressing.

Take care of yourself.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Paulastired

Thanks for posting, we know it can be hard to do when you are in a tough space.

It can be hard when you reach out to professionals and don't feel listened too and validated; it can be discerning and make a hard situation even harder. Have you considered e-health channels? Or even seeing a mental health professional directly?

We are are a caring, safe space; you can use this thread to talk more about your experiences here. Alternatively, you can check out these useful threads for relevant and caring resources/professional outreach; https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapie... and https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/long-term-support-over-the-journey

Sending kindness,

Tay100