FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cherophobia The fear of being happy

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi I think have this Cherophobia and wonder if anyone else has this.

I am scared when I am happy that something bad will happen as this is the usual case with me all out through my life.I seem to want to be unhappy and just waiting for something bad to happen.How do i overcome this fear or do I just live with it as this is the safe option.I am scared of heights so i stay away from hsights so do i just stay away from happiness?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Take care,

Mark.

101 Replies 101

You're more than welcome Mark, I'm really glad it means so much to you.

Thank you for your kind words to me too, they mean a lot to me. You're a sweet person yourself, and yes I agree, it is nice having supportive people.

Your Psychologist has a good point though. But I understand why you feel that way, I do too.

My Psychiatrist says about the baby steps too so I agree with that too.

Take care also,

Tayla

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tayla the psychologist and psychiatrist seem to give at similar advice.They do know what they are talking about.It is a matter of trying to apply what their advice.That is the heart part.The worry is if i am happy and then something bad happens how much will that set me back.

Your thoughts and kind words are always welcome.

Take care,

Your friend,

Mark.

Hey again Mark.

Yes they do, Psychiatrists especially because they're Doctors and have more training, but Psychologists are smart too. I agree with you it is hard to try the advice and the fear of feeling happy, I feel the same way as I've mentioned.

Baby steps I suppose, as they say. Small things count.

Tayla

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tayla I hope that supporting each other we can do baby steps.Get through these barriers that are in my head.Thanks for your support Tayla.

Take care,

Your friend,

Mark.

Of course we can Mark, I believe in you. And of course I'd support you, I've been doing my best to be there for you and everyone on the forums and I hope I've helped and supported you and everybody else.

Thank you for supporting me too. Remember, baby steps, small things count even if it's getting out of bed and having a shower, it doesn't sound like much but it can take a lot of effort as you may know, because it's comfortable and a hiding spot if you will, and it's common with those with mental illnesses. So that counts as a baby step and an achievement. You're a great Dad and that in itself is a huge achievement every day for you!

Tayla

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tayla thank you for your words of support and encouragement it means a lot to me.It is a matter of being taken out of our comfort zone.Pushing ourselves to achieve things we think are impossible but starting off with small things taking baby steps.

Take care,

Your friend,

Mark.

I agree with you Mark, I believe in you. Best of luck, you can do it. Small/baby steps.

Any ideas?

Tayla

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tayla i wish i did have some ideas,I think i am to scared to think of any.I always struggle to come up with ideas.

Take care,

Your friend,

Mark.

Hey Mark, all good.

Hmm, how about making a list of things you have to do and when you do one of them give yourself a treat or something? So alone time, whatever you like?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Tayla thanks for the suggestion they sound like a good idea.Now work out what to do as a treat.