FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Withdrawing from one medication to try another

N_D
Community Member

I have GAD, Bipolar 2 and have recently been diagnosed with CPTSD.

I’m currently on medications. My Dr wants to trial another medication. ( He has commented that it doesn’t seem to be doing anything for my anxiety p, which I agree with ). It’s been a month since I’ve been of my previous medication and my anxiety is sky high and getting headaches, which I understand to be withdrawal symptoms but I’m not improving. Why can’t he tell me it’s all withdrawal symptoms or if I’ll need another medication and just prescribe it so I don’t have to live in this limbo? I’ve read online forums that say withdrawing can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months and don’t know whether to keep persevering🧐

3 Replies 3

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi N D,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand it would be hard.

You could go back and see your doctor again if things aren’t improving.

Have you been taught any strategies to help you with your anxiety?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello N_D  changing medication has been a problem for years, and it really depends on what type you were prescribed, because when I had to change, the doctor started me on a very low dose of the new AD straight away, but each doctor has a different view point.

They may be ale to prescribe something to counter these feelings.

Geoff.

Life Member.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello.

It sounds like a difficult position to be in. 

I have also changed medications a few times. Unfortunately it is hard to determine the cause of the effects. By that I mean, whether the new medication is actually effective? or making things worse? and plenty of other questions. At least these were the questions I had. 

It sounds to me like your doctor wants you totally off medication before starting the new one? Is that correct?

I cannot comment on others experiences but when I "switched" from medication A to medication B it was a case of transitioning from one to other. There is a period of time when the amount of medication A decreases and increasing the dosage of medication B. This may also depend on the medications used?  I am certainly no expert in this area.

Do you have any coping tools for anxiety?