FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cherophobia The fear of being happy

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi I think have this Cherophobia and wonder if anyone else has this.

I am scared when I am happy that something bad will happen as this is the usual case with me all out through my life.I seem to want to be unhappy and just waiting for something bad to happen.How do i overcome this fear or do I just live with it as this is the safe option.I am scared of heights so i stay away from hsights so do i just stay away from happiness?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Take care,

Mark.

101 Replies 101

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Is it just easier to live a life in a depressed state like I do.Is being depressed is that who I am?A doctor told me 30 years ago I am as good as will get.This is what made me think I will never have happiness in my life.How can a doctor even say that?I was young then now I am a grey haired man with other health problems feeling like the best years are gone.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Matchy

I haven't seen this thread before. It's a good question. 

Not sure if you can access Netflix or YouTube? 
There's a lady on there who researches all sorts; shame, vulnerability, scarcity... many emotions. She's been doing it for decades and in the last 10y or so brought this research out for us all. 

Her name is Brene Brown. You might be able to watch some stuff with earbuds at the Library? IDK. 

In her Netflix special, she mentions that 95% of people, according to her research, experience the sudden fear that things will be taken away from them. EG when things are good, or going okay... the sudden fear happens. 

That Dr said a very negative thing to you decades ago. Something you STILL remember! Horrid Mark. 

I get all oppositional when someone tells me stuff like that. Even when I can hear it being repeated in my head. 

All we can do is the best we can do, with what we have the capacity for. 

Living your best life may not look like someone else's best life, but it's YOUR BEST LIFE. 

Love EM