FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety walking down stairs, driving anxiety

Purple4
Community Member

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from anxiety walking down stairs or driving.

If I have to walk down stairs my legs turn to jelly and my foot just hovers over the first step as I'm too scared to take it. When I have finally managed the first step I hold the rail tightly as my jelly legs some how manage to get down. This also happens to me out of the blue while walking, my legs just want to give out on me.

My driving anxiety is extreme. I struggle on the open road or traveling at over 80ks. I struggle to explain how I feel but it basically feels like I am driving on a cliffs edge and one false move my car will fall off the road killing me.

Can anyone relate to this?

12 Replies 12

I was just thinking the same Katy, I swim like a rock but I would have loved to have been there to support you getting back on your paddleboard 😀

I'm so proud of you for going back out.

Sorry for cutting this short but I'm in a rush, chat soon

Deb

Hi Deb

I used to have anxiety attacks in traffic (traffic jams) and they were awful to have....It was more like being 'trapped' for me when the traffic started to slow to a stand still my anxiety went off the scale

The only thing that helped me were frequent visits to my GP as the anxiety attacks started to have a detrimental effect on my day to day well being

I have learned (after a very long time of trying to self heal) that the earlier any anxiety condition is treated the better our recovery will be 🙂

I understand your situation with driving Deb...Thanks for being a part of Beyond Blue too!

my kind thoughts

Paul

Pixie11
Community Member

Hi there,

I get bad anxiety driving, and especially in traffic. It has actually been affecting my life pretty badly the last 2 weeks, where I haven't driven at all apart from one 5 minutes drive. I feel like I am letting my kids down as they have to walk 30 mins to school, but I don't want to let this fear control me. I am hoping a new medication I am going to try will help me. The other one I tried had terrible side effects and is why I stopped driving, and even though I am off it now I still feel terrible. I am also feeling dizzy and light-headed all the time, so driving whilst feeling like that is horrible, as I worry i am going to have an accident. I have also been seeing a psychologist, and it was going well, but things have really gone downhill for me in the last few weeks.