FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic Attacks When Driving

missbexy
Community Member

Hi All,

I have been suffering with anxiety for as long as I can remember whether it be anxious I'm going to throw up in public, panicking that I will have a panic attack and faint in public, feeling the urge to run when in a crowd of people, not wanting to leave my house and when I do immediately feeling anxious or lately, having mild panic attacks when driving in the car.  It seems to be specifically when I have to stop at traffic lights and I feel 'trapped'.  I am alright if I am in the passenger seat as I am safe in knowing I can jump out of the car and run if I need to which seems to provide some comfort.  But having 3 kids, two of which are at school/kindy means I have to go out every day, multiple times a day.  I don't go to the shops during the day anymore, I panic if I have to go in to the city as peak hour traffic sends me over the edge!  I suppose I just want to know if there's anyone else out there suffering like this and/or if anyone has any advice it would be truly appreciated.  I don't want my life to be like this anymore....

3 Replies 3

integrityguy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi missbexy

Sorry to hear about your panic attacks and the effect on driving. The attacks are frightening enough without having to deal with them while you're driving as well.

From my perspective as a fellow sufferer of panic attacks, the literature on this stuff recommends that you don't run from panic-inducing situations, because it tends to reinforce or increase your fear of those situations. This also applies to being a passenger i.e. if you have a panic attack, getting out of the car will bring short-term relief, but will not solve the problem long-term.

In terms of dealing with panic attacks itself, here are some things which help me:
- Focus on the symptoms, not the distressing thoughts causing the attack. If your mind drifts, acknowledge the thoughts briefly, then bring your attention back to the symptoms.
- Try to reframe your perspective of a panic attack as annoying and uncomfortable, but not catastrophic or life threatening.
- Reassure yourself that the panic will pass and wait it out.

This stuff takes time, practice and concentration (and I'm still learning it myself), but it can start to work eventually. Basic rule of thumb with driving though ... if the panic attack is risking the safety of anyone in or nearby the car (e.g. other drivers, pedestrians, etc), I'd suggest pulling over to the side of the road (or parking in a side street or carpark) until it passes (if possible).

Finally, if you haven't already, I suggest seeing your GP and getting a referral to a psychologist. They're a great sounding board and can give you some personalised strategies to get on top of this stuff.

All the best and take care.

Scotty2013
Community Member
Hi missbexy, This is something i struggle with still, it's not just the panic but having a potential missile with me whilst having one. I'ts one thing to walk out of a supermarket, but another to panic and run a red light. It's like i have 2 things to control now, A Panic Attack, and a Car great!!..... Wish i was of more help, but for now I let someone else drive the vehicle i just feel better. and "Safer"...TC

AnitaA
Community Member
Yes I know exactly how you feel. For me I have problems when I'm stopped at lights.....my brain seems to tell me that I'm not safe. Today I have come home because there is a set of traffic lights that I have to navigate that fill me with dread and I know that my avoidance is just making it worse. I need to go shopping. I am under a lot of stress at the moment with my teenage son so my anxiety is high which doesn't help.