FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety is killing me

Avara
Community Member

It took a lot of guts to post something, I lead a somewhat successful life now, but I can't stop worrying. I've worked my way up career-wise but as soon as I'm home, "reality" sinks in...all I can focus on is an irrational thought pattern of "worst case scenario" where my child gets taken away, or I feel like I will go to court because I'm a few days late paying my phone bill. These scenarios just keep playing over and over in my head, progressively getting worse until I feel like my only way out is to

kill myself to spare my family the shame of having a failure. None of it makes sense as I'm very happy and in the zone whilst I am at work. Everone there thinks I'm great. But as soon as I leave I feel like the worst person in the world and deserve to rot in prison. It's like I'm a fraud even though I'm not. Every conclusion points to me ending my life. As though ending it all will be the only thing that fixes all that is wrong. The dr said that because I am able to hold a good job, means that he isn't worried. The only reason I am still breathing is because I have a child. I just can't stop focusing on this immense, overpowering feeling of dread.

It causes me to vomit. It causes me to do

nothing but lay in bed all weekend. It causes me to wish that I was never born. 

It is like I have to be an actor in my own life just to survive. 

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

2 Replies 2

NicoleP
Community Member

Hi Avara

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the big step of writing a post. You are obviously going through a really difficult time. I am pleased that you have a child who gives you purpose in your life and you need to remember how much that precious little person loves and needs you.

I think that you need to go back to your GP (probably change GPs) as it wounds like they are not being supportive of you. Given your current feelings, it is important that you get a referral to someone who can offer you the appropriate support.

When things get tough, I have always found it helpful to call someone. The BB counsellors are fantastic - nonjudgemental, caring and helpful. Remember their is always Lifeline and I have found the suicide help line to be wonderful. Never feel worried about calling - that is what they are there for.

Keep posting. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Kezza

dougall
Community Member
Hi I have found being on this forum has helped immensely and I have suicidal tendencies but since being on here they have eased, have not gone away but are not as strong.  I hope you keep posting on here as it really does help.  There are plenty of people behind the scenes looking out for you.