FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Music Performance Anxiety

MalcolmJD
Community Member

Hello,

I realize my problem is very minor compared to some, however, I am bothered by it. I have been a musician for many years playing the bass guitar. I have recently begun studying classical guitar formally, which means exams. I have sat two so far, and both times have been anxious to the point where it affects my performance. I know I can do much better and I know there is no logical reason for the anxiety (nervous yes, that can be channelled into positive energy, anxious no, that leads to tension).

I have thought of trying to get beta-blockers, but that is a chemical solution (there were enough drugs in my band days!). I wonder if meditation might help, or cognitive behaviour therapy.

I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem, and their remedies.

Regards,

Malcolm

2 Replies 2

dougall
Community Member
Hi welcome, I don't know if this will help when I am wanting to calm down from my anxiety I try and think of a calm place or word and keep repeating it.  Meditation is a great place to start, takes practice and you know all about practice.  Good luck and I hope someone who is musical can help you.

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Malcolm,

Welcome to the forums. I can't say i can play a musical instrument, although,  i wish i could. I was however a trainer, and experienced debilitating performance anxiety almost every day for 5 years, so i understand where you are coming from.

Meditation and CBT are 2 really good approaches so definitely worth exploring with a Psychologist. It appears you're a bit anti medication, and the choice is yours, but i will say that i personally needed the medication to clear my mind and get me in the right head space to begin working on helpful strategies. This might be something to consider. 

I ended up giving up work for a year to focus on my wellbeing, but im now much more ready and prepared to go back into the training domain. If you want some more strategies, visit the threads SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY under the anxiety section of the forums or WHY CHOOSE MINDFULNESS under the recovery and staying well section.

AGrace