FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi there, just signed up

triforceofcourage
Community Member

Hi everyone, after knowing about this website for a while I decided to finally join up. I'm just introducing myself and leaving the "other stuff" for another day.

I am 21 years old, 22 next month. I live in the Melbourne area and I work 10 hours a week in retail. My hobbies are watching anime (Japanese animation) and playing video-games although lately my interest for everything has gone down. My username comes from the video-game "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)" on the Nintendo 64, my all time favourite game. I am single and have not been in a single relationship to this day. I am currently living alone and have been for around 2 years.

As a child I had signs of autism and had learning difficulties growing up. I had an integration aide (assistant teacher) for all of my Primary School years. I spent the first few years taking extra speech classes because I didn't know how to speak properly. My integration aide moved back to New Zealand and didn't end up getting one for High School. Mum always read books to me so I can read and write properly even if I don't know what the words mean. I left High School in 2009 (Year 11) and got a job in retail which has helped me learn how to make casual conversation with people I don't know. There are issues with work now but I'll get to that another time.

I think the main reason I joined is because I think I needed somewhere to let my life-long story out. Friends can say they will always be there, but in reality they do get tired of hearing me about my issues all the time. The community here seems small but nice so I hope I feel welcome here soon.

12 Replies 12

scorch
Community Member

Welcome!! 🙂  You're right, everyone here is very nice.  I've only been part of this forum for a couple of months, but it's helped me a lot.  I hope it'll help you too 🙂

Before we go further, I just gotta say... I LOVED Ocarina of Time.  My best friend during high school had it (I was too poor for a 64) so we used to go to his house all the time and play it for hours on end. 

What are some of your favourite animes?  What other games do you play?

I'm sure I'll be seeing you round on the forums 🙂
-Scorch

I love everything about Ocarina of Time, the characters, the dungeons, the land, and the sense of adventure I get from playing it. I lose interest in some games over a while but Ocarina of Time never fails to cheer me up.

My favourite anime right now is One Piece, it was on tv a while back and now I buy the dvd's as they come out. I've also enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and Evangelion, and also old school series like Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon. I've lost some interest in Naruto but still watch the new episodes as they come out. Can't forget my favourite Studio Ghibli film "Spirited Away".

Some of my other favourite games are Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, Mario Party, Guitar Hero and the Lego games (Lego Star Wars, Lego Harry Potter etc.). You can tell that I enjoy party games rather than the hundreds of shooting games that are out there at the moment.

Something I forgot to mention is that I am male, just so everyone knows.

Thank you for the welcome Scorch. 🙂

Hi there,

Welcome to the BB website. I hope you will find it as supportive as I have.

Ocarina of Time is timless classic game. Have you played many of the other Zelda series? I played A link Between Worlds most recently and it was fantastic. I don't really play shooters either, I am more of a puzzle/platformer/strategy/rpg gamer.

I also watch anime, amongst other things. One Piece and Naruto never caught my attention, but I agree on the Pokemon/Full Metal Alchemist/Evangelion front. Darker Than Black, Cowboy Bebop and .hack are my favourites though. Studio GHibli does movies like no one else. Are you going to see the new Ghibli movie, 'The Wind Rises'? It comes out tomorrow in selected cinemas.

GA

I have played a few of them, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are also favourites of mine. As for Link Between Worlds, unfortunately I've lost interest in new release games in general so I haven't picked that one up yet. It does look nice though.

I plan on seeing the Wind Rises, the ads look amazing. I can't see it tomorrow though as I work every Thursday night but it's definitely on my list for movies to watch in March.

Thank you also for the kind welcome. 🙂

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

ear Triforceofcourage, what a great username and it must mean exactly what you are like 'force' and 'courage', but I like the latter one, courage, that is such a strong word for someone who has been faced with adversity for most of your life, but your mum would have to be a fantastic lady, and if she knows about you posting on this site, please say hello to her from all these wonderful and caring people who have also been face with adversity for most of their life, and this includes myself.

This adversity is an illness called depression and it's one of the worst mental conditions that anybody could ever have, but I believe that you are the first person to ever come here with a condition like yours, so put a feather in your cap, and walk proudly around, chest out, and say 'mum I'm the first person who has visited beyond blue bulletin board'.

I would love to know so much more about yourself and this can include who ever you want to, that would be great. Geoff.

In the video game, the Triforce of Courage is what created life and environment, and it also helps to defeat the final villain, I loved that so I decided to use that as my username.

Mum certainly is a wonderful lady. Unfortunately she died 3 and a half years ago for reasons I will explain later in the "depression" section of the forum. She is watching from the heavens though so I do believe she knows about me posting on this website, I think she can see how kind the people of Beyond Blue are. 

I'm not sure what else I can say about myself, I did enjoy art and photography and did classes in High School, but after mum passed away I just lost interest in it. I also collect Pokemon trading cards, and have been since I was a child in 1999.

When I post in the "depression" section it will include more about me, not sure if I can get it up this weekend though. Every fortnight I have my 13 year old brother over and we play games and watch movies, this weekend we are watching Star Wars.

Thank you for the welcome Geoff. 🙂

dear Triforceofcourage, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about your mum, and yes she is watching over you, because that's her nature, I very caring person.

Star Wars, those were great films and I could watch them again and again, especially where Jabba the Hutt is involved and has Princess Leia captured. Geoff.

I just had my brother around for the weekend, we watched some Harry Potter and Men in Black but unfortunately he didn't feel like watching Star Wars, so maybe we will watch it next fortnight. The scene you explained is actually in the next movie that we are up to, great movies indeed.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi TriForceOfCourage

And yes, that is one very cool name.  And when you've been talking above about all these games etc, I must admit they've gone over my head.  Perhaps my kids would know about them.  Oh hang on, you did mention SuperMario and also Guitar Hero.  I did ok with SuperMario (the kids have that on their wee) and as for Guitar Hero, I suck big time at that.

So yeah, as well as mentioning the above bit, I also wanted to chip in and welcome you to the Beyond Blue site and I would also like to add how sorry I am to hear of the loss of you Mum.

But it was wonderful to read how you and your bro had a nice weekend of gaming and dvd-ing together.  I bet you both look forward to each fortnight so you can spend time together, yeah?

Kind regards

Neil