FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pension

Noelc
Community Member

Hi I'm not sure if my question belongs here but here goes. I'm 59 and on NDIS. I have a medical condition which will result in me not being able to work shortly (Wheel chair bound). Am I able to claim disability support pension as well as topping this up via my super fun?

3 Replies 3

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Noelc,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear you have been having issues.

I am not 100% sure about your question but a good place to start might be to call NDIS or Services Australia/Centrelink to see what you can do, or a financial advisor if you can afford it. I am pretty sure you have to jump through many hoops to get the pension, but being wheelchair-bound it seems you have a legitimate condition. I hope it isn't too difficult for you. I think calling them and asking about the requirements, and then applying online. I am not sure about the super fund question, that might be for an accountant to answer.

Jaz xx

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello & welcome to the Forums.😺

I'm not sure how Super is regarded by Centrelink/Services Australia. I'm sure they could advise you - it may be quicker to find the info online, googling key words or searching Services Australia website.

You may indeed be eligible, even now, for DSP (Disability Support Pension), given that your condition is severe, & unlikely to improve, or as you say, likely to deteriorate. I am aware the criteria have tightened up

As with NDIS, you will need medical report/s when applying. It's a good idea to find out what is needed & from whom, & getting these things together before applying. I couldn't tell you how online applications work. All I know is the last time I visited an office, they were expecting people to use the computers there anyway. I din't get much assistance at all. & phoning can having you wait a long time on hold.

That's why I suggest finding out what you can by searching out information - I think , via their website, first. Get all the little ducks lined up.

It occurs to me, they might have an online (email) chat to try to get more direct answers, too. Not sure, but have a look.

I wish you all the best.

I don't imagine facing life from a wheel chair is an easy prospect, as well as accepting the idea of being a pensioner, so, please feel welcome to come here to talk whenever you feel the need.

Warmly,

mmMekitty

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Noelc..

I would also like to welcome you to our wonderful forums..

Our other lovely members have given you some great suggestions...

I just want to add...that if you go to Centrelink....pick up a form for DSP..then with that form, take it to your next visit to your GP...and the both of you fill it out together...because when applying for DSP....you do need your Dr.s and your professional’s opinion as well as their complete diagnosis for your future...

I do wish you good luck....and please Dear Noelc, if your feeling up to it...continue to talk here as we are all here to support you...the best we can...

My kindest thoughts with my care...

Grandy..